Don't want to start a debate - but I need one!! (1 Viewer)

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Sorry, vanbitz gas detector is optional extra on strikeback system.

However gapsecuritydirect.co do one that plugs in to ciggy lighter £99.99.

£79.99 for a stand alone gas detector plugs into a 12v socket. You were right lol Van Bitz DO sell gas detectors that pick up LPG And narcotic gases.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2013
Ayr
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
£79.99 for a stand alone gas detector plugs into a 12v socket. You were right lol Van Bitz DO sell gas detectors that pick up LPG And narcotic gases.

I think it's a con. The whole concept of using a vanful of gas to knock out the occupants is more than likely a James Bond/Man from U.N.C.L.E fantasy.

Expensive & unreliable. The most effective gas used by the Russians (that accidentally killed a lot of hostages) was Fentanyl, a synthetic opiate. I doubt very much when there has even been a detector made for airborne fentanyl as it's normally given intravenously.

Certainly, there is no point in rushing out and buying "a gas detector" unless you know what you want to detect. Companies selling detectors of "common narcotic gasses" are only selling peace of mind to the gullible IMO.
Tim

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
We have a very reliable one but does need re-charging often

If they can keep 3 foot away it may fail but inside that range then they have no chance

alan i thought he made the gas :ROFLMAO:

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I think it's a con. The whole concept of using a vanful of gas to knock out the occupants is more than likely a James Bond/Man from U.N.C.L.E fantasy.

Expensive & unreliable. The most effective gas used by the Russians (that accidentally killed a lot of hostages) was Fentanyl, a synthetic opiate. I doubt very much when there has even been a detector made for airborne fentanyl as it's normally given intravenously.

Certainly, there is no point in rushing out and buying "a gas detector" unless you know what you want to detect. Companies selling detectors of "common narcotic gasses" are only selling peace of mind to the gullible IMO.
Tim

I personally think that it is stupid NOT to have a gas detector that will detect Propane and Butane along with a whole host of other gasses.

Of which the range of " narcotic gasses" fall into.

The idea of having LPG on board and driving around, up and down bumpy roads with numerous gas appliances and connections, in a Motorhome without any detection device is border line on criminal.

In America every leisure vehicle has a gas detection system fitted as Federal law.

It should be the same here.

If it gives some, the peace on mind that if gas attacks do happen, or more likely some Pratt tried a "copy cat" attack, that their on board gas detection system would detect any gas present so be it.

I love the "I'm right your wrong" postings of forums.

If Debbie will sleep sounder in her bed at night for the sake of £80 frankly that's her decision. As I say we sell it more for protection against the real and actual danger of a LPG leak but hey ho.

After all the OP Nigel did ask that it was not a debate.

So con? I'll ask you again after the LPG explosion.

The unit is made by Dometic and sold around the World

Eddie

Last edited:

Bluemerle

Free Member
Sep 22, 2011
Out and about
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
June 2012

Thought you did, then looked again and could'nt find it! Put it down to my age, don't know what I will do when I get old!::bigsmile:

Apr 9, 2013
Ayr
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I personally think that it is stupid NOT to have a gas detector that will detect Propane and Butane along with a whole host of other gasses.

The idea of having LPG on board and driving around, up and down bumpy roads with numerous gas appliances and connections, in a Motorhome without any detection device is border line on criminal.

In America every leisure vehicle has a gas detection system fitted as Federal law.

If it gives some, the peace on mind that if gas attacks do happen, or more likely some Pratt tried a "copy cat" attack, that their on board gas detection system would detect any gas present so be it.

If Debbie will sleep sounder in her bed at night for the sake of £80 frankly that's her decision. As I say we sell it more for protection against the real and actual danger of a LPG leak but hey ho.

Eddie

I'm not dissing flammable gas detectors, just the suggestion that there is any detector that is going to give you a blanket protection against some sort of "gas attack". Let's face it, there are many easier ways of robbing folk that trying to render then unconscious with gas, rohypnol springs to mind. Got a detector for that?

Tim

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I'm not dissing flammable gas detectors, just the suggestion that there is any detector that is going to give you a blanket protection against some sort of "gas attack". Let's face it, there are many easier ways of robbing folk that trying to render then unconscious with gas, rohypnol springs to mind. Got a detector for that?

Tim

Don't you have to drink that? So yes I have a detector for that! I don't take drinks off people in car parks.:Doh:

As you've asked: The way that a gas detector works is that it has an electrical element which is minuscule and kept extremely hot in a controlled environment. Any gases that are flammable will be detected by this process.

I personally have written more on this subject than most. In magazines, books and forums and I am in the unique situation I have spoke to dozens of people who "believe" that they have been victims of being gassed.

I personally don't think that gas attacks occur, or certainly not in the way that many believe them to manifest.

However, I know for a fact that once people either believe that they have been gassed or that such attacks happen, it is impossible to convince them otherwise.

This being the case I am happy for my Company to sell a gas detection system that detects the whole array of flammable gasses, which I consider essential for the detection of LPG leaks if it also can give some peace of mind to those that are convinced that they have been or could be gassed.

The OP explained the reason "why" he wanted to buy a gas detector he asked that it didn't become a debate and he got the answers that he wanted.

I don't see why selling a safety device such as this could be construed as a "con"

Regardless of my or your opinion, you cannot prove categorically that gas attacks cannot happen, yet there are people who tell tale that they "were gassed" and the Police have been instrumental in telling people that in fact they were gassed.

After all The Royal College of Anaesthetists state on their web site that whilst such attacks are possible, they are in practice improbable. A sentiment that I happily agree with. However, to a believer that is still not 100% proof that such attacks "cannot happen"

How people spend their money to make themselves happy is their business, no one else's

I believe that motorhoming and all associated with it is like religion. What I believe, I believe. It doesn't make me right or wrong, nor does it make you right or wrong. It is what I believe. It doesn't give me the right to criticise or ridicule your choice, nor do I need to suffer "your" opinion.

It's just what I believe.

If Debbie sleeps a little sounder at night knowing that she is safer, then it is £80.00 well spent. And it could safe a life threatening explosion.

But your right! Probably a con!

Eddie

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Quite right on that one - it is about peoples' peace of mind. I too, have heard lots of tales, but treat he whole gassing affair as an urban legend as many are either not sure, or it happened to someone else or a friend of someone else.

Despite he medical evidence, people worry about it. If the detector will tell you of an internal LPG leak as well - then it is not a waste of money. It has a secondary and useful use.

If it means the owners sleeps a little better, then it isn't a waste of money in their minds. It is that respect, no different than contents insurance, in case your home gets burgled. Or life insurance in case you get run over or similar - it is the peace of mind that should it happen, you are covered as best as you can be.

The price you put on that is up to you - £20, £80, £150 - there are many available with different extras, options and capabilities - that is you decision if you want one. Everything is a waste of money until you actually need it.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Any gases that are flammable will be detected by this process.

If Debbie sleeps a little sounder at night knowing that she is safer, then it is £80.00 well spent. And it could safe a life threatening explosion.

Eddie

Then maybe you can answer my question re the obnoxious smells eminating from dogs backsides as I realise they ARE inflamable, does that mean the alarm will keep going off all night long.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Everything is a waste of money until you actually need it.

My Granddad used to sell cork. No one wanted to buy it, so he decided to move to the States.

He had a queue a mile long when the Titanic hit that Iceberg

Eddie

Apr 9, 2013
Ayr
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Don't you have to drink that? So yes I have a detector for that! I don't take drinks off people in car parks.:Doh:

As you've asked: The way that a gas detector works is that it has an electrical element which is minuscule and kept extremely hot in a controlled environment. Any gases that are flammable will be detected by this process.

So they're not going to detect non-flammable vapours like Isoflurane, Ethrane and numerous other non flammable anaesthetic agents?

I personally have written more on this subject than most. In magazines, books and forums and I am in the unique situation I have spoke to dozens of people who "believe" that they have been victims of being gassed.

I personally don't think that gas attacks occur, or certainly not in the way that many believe them to manifest.

However, I know for a fact that once people either believe that they have been gassed or that such attacks happen, it is impossible to convince them otherwise.
I'd agree with that!
This being the case I am happy for my Company to sell a gas detection system that detects the whole array of flammable gasses, which I consider essential for the detection of LPG leaks if it also can give some peace of mind to those that are convinced that they have been or could be gassed.

The OP explained the reason "why" he wanted to buy a gas detector he asked that it didn't become a debate and he got the answers that he wanted.

I don't see why selling a safety device such as this could be construed as a "con"
I just think it's a little disingenuous to use what is very probably an urban myth, and if not that, a vanishingly small risk, to sell a product. You have to admit, it's in your interest to keep the fear of gas attack alive.
Regardless of my or your opinion, you cannot prove categorically that gas attacks cannot happen,
Which is why it is such a "perfect" story to keep alive. I have a detector in my van that has kept me 100% safe from elephant attack (so far).::bigsmile:
yet there are people who tell tale that they "were gassed" and the Police have been instrumental in telling people that in fact they were gassed.

After all The Royal College of Anaesthetists state on their web site that whilst such attacks are possible, they are in practice improbable. A sentiment that I happily agree with.
As a retired anaesthetist I'd concur with that view.
However, to a believer that is still not 100% proof that such attacks "cannot happen"

How people spend their money to make themselves happy is their business, no one else's

I believe that motorhoming and all associated with it is like religion. What I believe, I believe. It doesn't make me right or wrong, nor does it make you right or wrong. It is what I believe. It doesn't give me the right to criticise or ridicule your choice, nor do I need to suffer "your" opinion.

It's just what I believe.

Eddie

So we agree in the end! :roflmto:

Tim

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I just think it's a little disingenuous to use what is very probably an urban myth, and if not that, a vanishingly small risk, to sell a product. You have to admit, it's in your interest to keep the fear of gas attack alive.

Probably an urban myth? well is it or is it not?

As for being disingenuous and in my interest? Have you actually read what I have written?

I have stated that I do not believe that gas attacks happen. How is that being disingenuous or in my interest?

Having seen evidence of explosions due to LPG leaks I don't think that it is disingenuous to say irrespective of which side of the fence your on with gas attacks, you should have a LPG detector.

Which is why it is such a "perfect" story to keep alive.

Actually the story was "Where can I buy one, not Should I buy one. "Could all retired anaesthetists chip in with their view please?" So I would hardly call people advising where a detector could be bought "keeping alive"

As your hinting about integrity here is a link to our web site, where we suggest that that gas attacks don't actually occur Link Removed

I would categorically state that more people have died in the hands of anaesthetist, than during motorhome gas gas attacks.

Eddie

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
whilst there are numerous anaesthetic gasses, the reports usually state the use of easy start or ethanol that is cheaply and easily available. fentanyl gas as used by the russian special forces is just not for sale at the garage down the road.

the point is that easy start will set of an lpg gas alarm. this alarm need not cost more than £10 and its common sense to fit one on a vehicle carrying lpg

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Has anyone actually seen the letter in mmm , I have but can't find my copy at the mo , this bloke says he and two others were gassed, but I didn't take that much notice so forgot the details , how he knew and that, I will make an effort to find it, maybe the op could tell us more, he read it,the letter did seem real though, his name was on it , no advert or anything

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Why not fire up your BBQ, instead of a Fire Lighter, use 4 £20 notes, it will have the same effect as buying a Gas Detector:whatthe:

Apr 23, 2010
Katikati, New Zealand
Funster No
Call me gullible, but we had a 6-month holiday in Europe last year and used one of Eddie's 'con' detectors. We weren't attacked, actually never felt threatened even, nevertheless I felt it was money very well spent for peace of mind - we slept well every night in the knowledge that we were less likely to be gassed either deliberately or accidentally, whether the danger was real or imagined. Have you bought a lotto ticket? The chances of winning lotto are way less than that of being gassed and robbed!

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970

Eddie

How can a gas detector in the van detect propane etc they are all heavier than air so will leak downwards through vents and gaps in the van floor. BUSBY.

Apr 23, 2010
Katikati, New Zealand
Funster No
How can a gas detector in the van detect propane etc they are all heavier than air so will leak downwards through vents and gaps in the van floor. BUSBY.

Eddie fitted our detector near the floor so that it catches the heavier-than-air gases. Modern vehicles are not particularly leaky anyway. Even detected aerosol mosquito spray used at 1am in the morning - very exciting!:ROFLMAO:

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Its unusual that according to insurance companies no one has ever claimed for theft from a motorhome or caravan caused by a GAS ATTACK.:Smile: BUSBY.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back