Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
got up today and desided to remove all the windows on the motorhome so i could reseal them:thumb:
a job that needs doing every 3 years not because there's a leek:Smile:
first job charge the batteries on the bat drill x2:thumb:
2nd job remove palmet and curtains,remove all the screws from first window from the inside:thumb:
remove window from the outside,and clean off old sealer from both the opening and the window :thumb:
reseal window and refit,this is when i noticed a funny smell:Eeek:like a burning electrical smell:Eeek:
nothing is on 240 or 12v side,so i sorts of ignores it ,put the surrond around that hold's the window in, a starts a screw with a hand screwdriver just to hold everthing in place,pick up all the screws and locates them all in thier hole's and picks up my battery drill and jesus its so hot i cant hold it,so throw's it out the door and goes and look's and the batterie is smoking:Eeek:pull's the battery out and its almost at the point of catching fire:Eeek:
so check's the drill with the other battery and all is well:thumb:
so good job i did'nt stop for a cuppa as i could have had a fire on my hands and lost the motorhome:cry:
i think one of the nicads has gone bad in the battery pack and shorting out:Sad:

OP
OP
chrisgreen

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
well i managed to get 3 windows done,and run out of sealer,but from what i can see all the windows so far have stayed water tight:thumb:
have now decided to reseal all the moulding's and the door frame,while im on a roll,so should be good for another five/ten years.
maintanance is better than cure:Smile:
sealer im useing is IDL 99:thumb:
decided to go withh IDL 99 as it's a non setting sealer and a whole lot better than the sealer tape as fitted to the van at manufactorer.
i agree MO!:thumb:
Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
what are you using to clean off the old sealer - been thinking about doing this myself around the lockers - had a leak in one of them due to dodgy seal last year, and have been toying with the idea of sorting it proper like

And...are you using this sealer one the mouldings too? - did our a couple of years ago with silkaflex but its starting to separate on some bits already and is a git for attracting muck! so is this one likely to do the same?

OP
OP
chrisgreen

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
what are you using to clean off the old sealer - been thinking about doing this myself around the lockers - had a leak in one of them due to dodgy seal last year, and have been toying with the idea of sorting it proper like

And...are you using this sealer one the mouldings too? - did our a couple of years ago with silkaflex but its starting to separate on some bits already and is a git for attracting muck! so is this one likely to do the same?
The old sealer is the tape type and im removeing it useing a plastic scraper as this does no damage to the paint work and cleaning with white spirit,after the windows are refitted you could not tell they have been out:thumb:
i will use IDL 99 on all the moulding's and frames as it will flex and allways stay soft so no need to redo again for years,most soft sealer will attract muck but a wipe with a cloth and and white spirit soon cleans it off:thumb:
might add some pics when i do the rest of them:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back