Don't know the answer 'cos I don't know the questions yet! (1 Viewer)

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
Hi Everyone,
We are Ann and Mark and are about to buy our very first motorhome - if all goes to plan it will be a Autocruise Stardream (rear lounge).
There are a million and one questions running around my head at the moment and am feeling a bit anxious about our lack of knowledge and experience of motorhoming. We did hire one a few years ago for 5 days but I didn't find it a good experience as the configuration of the motorhome was wrong for us (well, I guess I've learnt that much) and were travelling with our 2 dogs, one of which was very badly behaved!
My main anxiousness is regarding travelling with our 2 dogs - how to make it a good experience for them and us. Where should they be when we are on the road? What should we take into account? What do we need to pack for them? How can we get to see city centre sights, restaurants etc with the dogs - should they be left in the motorhome alone or not? They are both very old (11.1/2 and 12) and one of them is not too good on her pins so long walks are out of the question.
We have travelled overland from Crete to the UK (some 2,000 miles) and back several times in a Honda CRV so they are both good travellers and both have Pet Passports.
We are planning to be on the road for at least 2 months and will be travelling through France, Austria, Germany, Italy, Greece and possibly Turkey.
Any advice, hints and tips would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks in advance.

Jul 17, 2012
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
1 year on and loving it!
Hullo and welcome. I plan to travel with a dog, so will be interested in the answers you get to your post.

I am sure you are going to have a fab time! Enjoy!

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Hi and welcome to the Fun. :welcome:

I travel fulltime with a dog but got her as a puppy and trained her to the lifestyle from the word go. :Smile:

Obviously when you are driving the dogs should be secured so they can't cause problems. Mine travels in a harness which clips directly into a seat belt socket so she can sit/lie on the floor. Some people use crates if they have the room.

You'll probably find conflicting views on here as to whether dogs should be left on their own in motorhomes or not. As a fulltimer there are times when mine has to be left on her own, but she is fine with that. If it's hot then obviously you need to consider such things as parking in the shade, blinds on the sunny side if not shady, ventilation, water supply, etc.

Enjoy your travels. :Smile:

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
alson depends on the size of the dogs id not have two large dogs loose while traveling but our yorky cross sits on the passengers lap or in the front footwell we leave her in the van same as we leave her at home but again this will depend on temperament of the dogs weve found france at least to be dog friendly

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
We have a dalmatian and a springer and the love to travel around europe with us in our Riviera Garage. The garage is great as we have divided it off with a cage which is accessible from inside the van as well as outside. It's great for them to be in the garage if they are left in the van for shopping etc. as well as somewhere out of the sun but with fresh air with the doors open.

DesRes

Free Member
Apr 21, 2012
West Lancs
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 1990 ish...
Hi and welcome. Good luck with your new van, only time and your personal experience will tell if you made the right choice. Loads of advice on here, I love dogs but don't own one myself so can't comment at all on your question there...:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
we have a Cocker spaniel and he travels all over with us in the van, in fact if you start loading the van he goes and sits between the front seats ready.
we have water down all the time including when we are travelling in a " no tip " dog bowl works great. also we have a harness that fits into a seat belt clip but we only use it occasionally as he is excellent while travelling and lies almost constantly between the two seats and only gets up for a drink.
we do leave him in the van when we need to shop or some odd evening when we want a meal out, although in France many restaurants will allow a well behaved dog. much too our pleasant surprise.

we have an alarm that allows the internal sensors to be switched off but perimeter still armed which is great if we leave him for a short while.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
PS,,,, we have made up a doggy first aid kit..:Blush: includes some medication including for ticks etc and tick removal tool. a travel water / food container we use on long walks and a dedicated water bottle and a spare lead, all of which fits in a pocket in a ruck sack.:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back