Don't groan but it's 'A' frames again (1 Viewer)

The Wallace

Free Member
Apr 3, 2009
Funster No
Hi Guys,

Be gentle since this is the first time ( I have asked a question on fun.)

The question is :- who is the current favourite in the 'A' Frame supply and fit stakes.

It must be braked and if possible be reversed without intervention.
(someone on another forum claimed to have a 'reversable' one but I can't do searches there without paying a tenner)
Oh, and it should be able to be fitted to an original Mini not the BMW 'Mini'.

:thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Geo has one glued to the front of an original mini and can be fixed to practically ANY car.

reversing......depends on a few factors but is possible.
one thing you cant do is reverse around a corner.

these are the most popular manufacturers.

Link Removed

Caratow

Chris Cox

only real difference is the method of attaching which is shown in the webpages.

Last edited:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
there are several ,caratow,towtal, chris cox etc i think they are all very similar. i have used intertrade on 0161 652 3064 in oldham. they are used by the aa/rac. i have used their unbraked one for best part of 30 yrs for recoverywork.they now do a braked version. it is a universal fitting one so is not as convenient as the others. but can be used on lots different vehicles much easier. everybody as their favourite i would use intertrade as their braked version is only 435 quid compare it to the rest .it does take longer to fit and remove.pay your money take your choice. cheers alan google intertrade engineering have a look.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
This one is a TOWtal:thumb:
And its up for sale

DSCF1568.jpg

Last edited:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Oh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Towtal---y Towtal
Ive got two of em to prove it:ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
T

The Wallace

Free Member
Apr 3, 2009
Funster No
Thanks for the info so far guys but I would like some comments on who is top dog.
Has anyone tried more than one or has anyone any horror tales?

Geo
This one is a TOWtal:thumb:
And its up for sale
Is it the mini or the A frame or both thats for sale?

Last edited:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
In the pic above when the A frame is removed along with the pin only the eyes are visible In my opinion Towtal is Top Dog, Caratow is close second and a cox not an option due to the amount of steelwork on show when the tow frame is removed. Perhaps others can post pics of the Caratow and Chris Cox versions for you to compare
Geo

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Hi,my toad is on a Tow-tal, nice people to deal with,never had a problem in 50,000 miles. I can put a 40ft trailer anywhere and a a dab hand with a wagon and drag, but anything more than a few yads with the toad and it will make you very embarased. Never sean anyone able to manuver an A frame yet, heard a few talk about it though.:ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
T

The Wallace

Free Member
Apr 3, 2009
Funster No
Thanks Snowbird, I have no real desire to reverse the toad but if a frame is available, as one poster claimed (elsewhere), I wouldn't mind having it if only to forestall any legislative problems in the future.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
as a matter of interest i rang intertrade this afternoon for 435 pounds you can get a braked aframe. they also can do a 3.500kg braked instead of the 2.500kg . they use a gadget that pushes on the pedal but you do trail it through the window. it could be adapted to fit like the other makes but is not universal then. they say it fits 99.9 of todays cars or vans. like i said earlier i have been using there aframes and tow poles for years . they do supply the aa/rac even today. hope it is of interest to you .cheers alan.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
still only legal for recovery purposes though because of the fixing method , chains and straps, and at 40kg is twice the weight of a 'regular' A`frame

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
it does appear that it makes no differance .there is no law or ruling that says you must weld bolt fix the aframe in any special way. i deliberately asked these points today. yes its abit more fiddly .remember i,m mean dont like even paying for water. ha ha. cheers alan.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi john come on its only two small pins on some . chains have to be stronger. mine uses chains n big bumper pads but its old, they changed to underslung early 90,s. i would probably make my own next time using the bowden cable brakepull. remember i,m mean. cant be very difficult . make my own artic so must be easier to make an aframe. have used some very light weight frames from the states bet stateside can still get them for vw,s no brakes but only made of about 1inch square box fits into 2x1 for hitch couple of brackets n pins under neath. used to cost about 25 quid . i think i would make it a bit stronger. but anyway i certainly would not pay the money some of them cost. i paid 30 quid for mine i suppose it was alot then but i was nieve then. got a nice harvey frost towboy here now that is for recovery . sometimes speedy recovery not 20 mph. ha ha cu .alan.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Thanks for the info so far guys but I would like some comments on who is top dog.
Has anyone tried more than one or has anyone any horror tales?

Geo
Is it the mini or the A frame or both thats for sale?
Sold as a pair or Mini only
not willing to sell A frame on its own till the Mini has gone

Geo

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back