Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
You buy an English MH, it has an oven, a grill, and possibly even a microwave. This Hymer has nowt but a couple of gas rings. Do Germans just live on boiled eggs and beans? (would explain a lot).
Right, must get a microwave. But where do I put it??? No workspace left if I fix it next to the hobs, no cupboard big enough, except the one over the wardrobe, not a brill idea. Even the very small mike's are too big, and eating out every day is really not on, so...........Ideas???

upopup

Free Member
Nov 12, 2012
lincoln
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet
Exp
not
Went to look at a chasson recently, got very interested from the description, and it had an oven..... trouble was it was so bloody high it was dangerous and unuasable .... had to walk away! that's the French for you.... and they wouldn't buy our beef!!:Doh:

Upvote 0

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
One thing near the top of our 'must have' list when buying our last 2 vans was that they had a built in oven/grill.

We've spent around 200 nights during the last 3 years in the vans and have probably used the oven/grill no more than half a dozen times.

Mind you the oven is an ideal place to store the breadboard. :Doh:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

WAG2CRU

Free Member
May 31, 2012
Argyll
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654SL Star Edition
Exp
since2012
Our Hymer has an oven and grill plus 3 ring hob, never wanted a micro wave in MH, boat or at home, micro wave's and ready meals are horrible things.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Tootles

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Our Hymer has an oven and grill plus 3 ring hob, never wanted a micro wave in MH, boat or at home, micro wave's and ready meals are horrible things.

Unfortunately, I am an exponent of 'DING' cookery. Pie goes into mike, press button, 'DING', pie ready!! :winky:

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
WE use our oven on a pretty much daily basis. We did have a microwave but removed it as we hardly ever used it.
The grill is not much use for toast, you have to watch it like a hawk or it burns, so have an ordinary pop-up one which runs on the inverter

Upvote 0

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
Unfortunately, I am an exponent of 'DING' cookery. Pie goes into mike, press button, 'DING', pie ready!! :winky:

i take it you dont make your own pies then ?
your only warming them up.
dont see too many pies when abroad thats why i make my own .

Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2013
Crowthorne, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
1992 RMB Silver Star 670
Exp
One year. A whole one!
I have to be honest and admit I'm not a microwave person either. At home, ours is rarely used but is handy it have around for occasional duties.

I've given up cooking eggs in them as they're cooked one second, hard and rubbery immediately after that and bombs the next.

But as my soon-to-be RMB has one, I may look for excuses to use it.

Make-ahead deserts and ready-made custard could be tempting.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Tootles

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
i take it you dont make your own pies then ?
your only warming them up.
dont see too many pies when abroad thats why i make my own .

You see, I told you there were certain advantages not being 'moroc'! Hoe do you survive without a few packs of Hollands meat pies, (or a good chippy, for that matter). :Sad::winky:

Upvote 0

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
here you go .nice fresh mince pies made in maoc on xmas morning .
you can buy pork in maroc or take your own . we do make pork pies or meat pies .
cooking chips no problem . we dont miss out on anything .
sorry cant send pic never mind it was one of me making pies .

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jan 31, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
10 years +
Quite a few of my friends who have british vans complete with ovens don't use them. Instead they carry either a halogen oven or a Remoska which they say give better results and saves the gas when on EHU.

Off the grid some use a double skillet - these can do everything an oven can, apparently.

But don't ask me - I live on take aways, pub meals and pot noodles. :Smile: Cooking has never been a love of mine.

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
You buy an English MH, it has an oven, a grill, and possibly even a microwave. This Hymer has nowt but a couple of gas rings. Do Germans just live on boiled eggs and beans? (would explain a lot).
Right, must get a microwave. But where do I put it??? No workspace left if I fix it next to the hobs, no cupboard big enough, except the one over the wardrobe, not a brill idea. Even the very small mike's are too big, and eating out every day is really not on, so...........Ideas???

If you look at s/h english motorhomes most of them have unused ovens. Mine is 17 years old and looks unused. We use a small TEFAL electric oven, brilliant. BUSBY::bigsmile:

Upvote 0

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i think it all depends on how you use the van . i live in mine for 6 months of the year. well all winter . abroad .
dont use sites so ehu is not going to happen .
have solar panels that work very well. but cooking on gas is the way for me . either two 13kg bottles to swap depending where i,m going or a 19kg and 13kg . i do have spanish /moroccan bottles . or get uk bottles filled if i need to.
i know from having a vw garage years ago that many dont use the facilities in their vans as they dont want to get knocked down on resale . lots dont use cookers /showers etc .
every thing in my van is well used . not the gas heater though ,hopefully i can miss the cold .
have fun in your campers though thats what its about . :thumb:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back