Don't do this in San Francisco

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by TJ-RV, Feb 5, 2008.

1. TJ-RV

TJ-RV Deleted User

For those folks touring the U.S., either in their recently purchased motorhome or a rental one, there are many must-see sights across the USA. Anyone coming to San Francisco has to drive down Lombard Street, billed as 'the windiest street in the world'. But, as you'll see from the photos, this should not be attempted in a motorhome. I'm told that a tour bus driver once attempted this and it took several cranes to extract the bus. I suspect the driver was looking for another job shortly thereafter.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2008
  2. Road Runner

Road Runner Read Only Funster

My sat nav would definitely take me that way:Laughing::Laughing:

3. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

Tom,
    In Cornwall or Deven and some parts of Wales, that road would have an M prefix ie M21:Rofl1::Rofl1:
    Geo

4. moandick

moandick Read Only Funster

And a spares/repair man waiting at the bottom of the hill with new disc pads.:Eeek:

5. TJ-RV

TJ-RV Deleted User

I know George. When I used to travel a road over the mountain from one valley in Wales to another, the car was brushing the bushes on both sides. Lots of blind turns, but that didn't slow us down. Drove faster at night of course.

When I took our daughter and son in law to the UK several years ago, I drove that road in the rental car the way I remembered driving it. Scared the heck out of my SIL in the back seat :Rofl1:

6. Road Runner

Road Runner Read Only Funster

What is it with hire cars:Doh:

You always become a GP driver:Laughing::Rofl1:

7. TJ-RV

TJ-RV Deleted User

Remember John that I drove this same road in my own car for many years (and on motorcycles before that). If anything, my driving was a little slower in the rental car, but only until I got used to the roads again :BigGrin:

8. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

hi tom,

san-fantastic city.:thumb:

i sat for about an hour at the bottom of lombard just waiting for a runaway for a photo. no such luck :cry:

one hell of a walk back up with waterbottle on one hand, camera in the other and a cigarette hanging out my mouth.:Rofl1::Rofl1:

john.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2008
  9. TJ-RV

TJ-RV Deleted User

LOL PJ, San Francisco streets can take the puff out of you, especially if you're a smoker :BigGrin: In all the years I've taken visitors around the city, I've never seen a runaway car on Lombard Street. OTOH they do occasionally get a cable car that fails to stop.

10. Tony Santara

Tony Santara Funster

Tom
    Is'nt that where they make some fantastic car chases in San Francisco for the movies ?
    Like" Bullit" and "Speed"

11. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

the way the cablecar guys scream and shout at bad drivers it wouldn't matter anyway. best way to see that part of the city though even if a little crowded and a long line waiting at market turnaround.:thumb:

we bought a citypass but no-one stamped it so we got a fortnights use for a weeks money.:Blush:
    pity the cablecars dont run down lombard, now that would be FUN!!!!!!:Rofl1:

john.