dongles

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by watkins1952, Jan 2, 2012.

1. watkins1952

watkins1952 Read Only Funster

We are thinking about buying a dongle for our laptop but are confused by the optoins .We would prefer PAYG. our area is poor for 3 any suggestions from the Funsters:thumb:

2. ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ Funster Life Member

I have used an Vodafone dongle with a non exporing SIM and that was ok when I used it in Glasgow, I then switched over to a mifi and used the same SIM...

I found Vodafone OK, my phone is O2 and the coverage is not ag good as Vodafone.

There are a number of Funsters here who love 3.

ShiftZZ

3. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

The various price plans change from time to time so it is basically a matter of picking the one which best fits your requirements at the time in question. The hardware is basically the same whichever provider you go with.

As regards coverage you need to go with the provider which gives the best coverage overall for the areas you are likely to visit, rather than your home area alone. All the providers have coverage maps on their web sites.

One option might be to obtain an unlocked dongle (several on eBay) and a couple of SIMs from different providers for extra coverage.

4. slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob Read Only Funster

I also use the vodaphone

I also use the vodaphone pay as you go dongle on one of my dells. works ok.. but slow, but have used it all over the place.. the £15 credit you get with it stays on the dongle if you activate the dongle every three months.. still got £8.75 2 plus years on. Thinking about trying it on my Mac book...but then I do have an IPhone I could connect via bluetooth.

Bob

5. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Unless you intend not going out of your area with your motorhome I would not let poor reception in any particular area worry you..

For instance, where I am T mobile is great but when I use my vodafone handset I have to stand outside !

A mile away T mobile is pants and Vodafone is a solid signal..

Personal view,, go with the best deal you can get for your needs and do not worry too much about signal..
    What EVER you go for there will be good and bad spots

• Like Like x 1
  6. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

I have one of those Vodafone SIMs which I use as backup in the dongle if the 3 signal (which I normally use) is not good enough.

However, I'm pretty sure that there are no new non-expiring Vodafone SIMs left on the market now. I just had a look on eBay and there were a couple of used ones but they were pretty expensive.

7. stcyr

stcyr Funster

We use T-mobile dongles on 2 laptops.
    £15 for 30 days. (daily and 7 days also available).
    Been using them intensively all over UK for a year.
    £15 is for 1gb.
    Once the 1gb's used up ("You have exceeded the fair use") you are not cut off, means you can't download films etc., but can email,browse,facebook etc. till end of period.
    It's proved the best option for us, using laptops for most of the day and evening - then son borrows one and uses it for most of the night :Eeek:...

8. lesleyjean

lesleyjean Funster

9. tofo

tofo Funster

If you can acquire an o2dongle
    A giff gaff sim works
    As it runs on O2 network
    The same sim can also be used for a mobile
    See link or google giffgaff :thumb:

10. buttons

buttons Funster

Had a Three dongle for a number of years, very good.:thumb: Better still, I have recently purchased an Android smart phone on Three, the samsung Galaxy s2 with unlimited data, Tethering through this is fantastic very fast and very firm.:thumb: I now intend to cancel the contract on my dongle. Must move with the times:Rofl1:

11. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

I have the same setup as you Buttons..
    No need for any dongles or anything ( but I am on T Mobile.. 300 minutes 1000 texts and unlimited ( Fair Use, but have never manged to run it out ) for £15.00 a month

12. buttons

buttons Funster

It was on your recommendation that I did it Jaws and an excellent recommendation it was too. :thumb: