dongle wifi in europe (1 Viewer)

Jan 12, 2016
Amble
Funster No
MH
adria izola
Exp
since 2014
Can anyone recommend which dongle to buy for travelling around Europe for 6 months ,not going to use it for lots of down loads ,but for emails and keeping in touch with the family.
Or should we just call in to the nearest burger outlet and use theirs

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Can anyone recommend which dongle to buy for travelling around Europe for 6 months ,not going to use it for lots of down loads ,but for emails and keeping in touch with the family.
Or should we just call in to the nearest burger outlet and use theirs
Any unlocked mifi will do, that means you can buy any sim and install it. The cheapest cards are purchased in the country you are in. However, I have found WiFiZero to be a good place to buy foreign cards here in the UK.
Look on ebay for Huaweii (spelling?) units

Reactions: f6c
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
The term dongle usually applies to a unit that plugs into the USB port of a pc. You can still buy them but most people now use a mifi unit. This stands alone and is connected to your laptop, phone, tablet or all of them, using its own wifi network. Plenty about but make sure you choose one that is 4G and that is small enough to put in your pocket. You will need it "unlocked" so that it can be used on any network. If you buy a locked one you can normally buy an unlock code cheap on ebay.

As for what SIM you use with it, the world is your oyster, as long as it is unlocked. We buy preloaded UK Three Data only SIMs. Three sell them for £30 for a 12Gb one that lasts 12 months, but they can be bought cheaper elsewhere - Mymemory had them for about £24 from memory. They can be used for roaming in most of Europe and some other countries, but generally you will be cut be off for roaming (can be used in UK still) after about a couple of months of roaming. When that happens (or the 12Gb runs out) just pop another one in and start again. Pre-purchase several of them before you go, they only start to run when you first use them.

We use our to attach to my phone and laptop/tablet as well as my wife's iphone and ipad. As long as we get a reasonable signal we use it for facetiming the kids, emails and a bit of web browsing. We usually get through 12Gb in 6 to 8 weeks.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
Whilst waiting to move into our new property we needed wifi at Max's sisters we bought a three sim on a 30 rolling contract we pay £20 a month for 15gb which was ample for us for Internet browsing and emails.
It was very stable using it on their isolated farm which is miles from any mast
We asked when we got it if we were able to use it abroad and the answer was yes. We have yet to put it to the test abroad but so far we are very happy with it. We get a better speed with it than the talk talk internet we have here in the bungalow.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
If you are really not going to use a lot of data then two or ideally three sim cards from Three should cover you for almost all of Europe. There were gaps (Portugal and Germany for example) but these countries are now covered.
I would also suggest a MiFi and you need to get for it a PAYG Mobile Broadband SIM, don't get a phone sim. You might get away with 1GB cards (£10 each) but a 3GB (£16) one would be safer. However, once you start using it in Europe I bet your usage will increase! We wouldn't be without it - weather forecasts, BBC News website and researching places to visit plus the odd wasted moment on MHF. :xsmile: If you find yourself needing more you can just top up online.

OP
OP
mart
Jan 12, 2016
Amble
Funster No
MH
adria izola
Exp
since 2014
Thanks everyone for all of the iinfomation, will start looking for a MiFi on ebay

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Have read of this regarding sims which I wrote:

http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/resources/three-mobile-broadband-info-preloaded-data-sims.220/

The hurdle you'll have is going over the 2 month (supposed) limit with a single Three sim, so you may need up to 3 to get round that.

If your usage is very low you could get a few of the ones that are free and give 200mb a month and then just swap them as needs be, but this would ONLY works for a very light user.

As for a MIFI there are lots out there and there were some recent threads about this and other similar items:

http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/mifi-with-aerial.144686/

http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/alternative-to-a-mifi.144751/

http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/which-simple-mifi.141978/

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
Never had any problems up to now in France .We have a Huawei and get 20g for £13 a month with 3.

Rapido924f

Free Member
Dec 16, 2016
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2008
We have an unlocked Huawei bought on eBay for £35 and use a 3 sim. just bought a 24GB sim on Amazon for £30 for a year

Dec 15, 2011
Southwest Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Adria
Exp
Since 1996
I bought the TP-Link M7350 which is a 4g unit and use one of the 25GB special offer data sims from Amazon. Works well, although you do need to know how to set it up for 3's roaming providers the first time you use it outside UK. Haven't had any 4G connections yet in France or Spain but it's only been a couple of weeks and I've kept away from cities where there seems to be the most chance of 4G.
One possible downside to the TP-Link device is that you can't add an aerial, although TBH the signal everywhere has been fine without one, even in some remote places in Spain.

OP
OP
mart
Jan 12, 2016
Amble
Funster No
MH
adria izola
Exp
since 2014
Thanks to all for you posts, i have now got a Huawei off ebay ,unlocked, with a data sim. Will be trying it out next week,thanks again

Sep 14, 2009
uffculm mid devon
Funster No
MH
swift royale 59
Exp
We are on a contract with the three network at home and when we are away never have any trouble getting a signal in France or Spain

Link Removed
Hi i am also on a contract with three & when i come to use it in france & spain it says admin & to add a password has anyone else had this problem happy travels Rod

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
The standard MIFI password is admin to get you into the settings ... is that what you mean?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yes it could be the MIFI key which is usually inside the back cover but it wouldn't normally say 'admin' for that.

Sep 14, 2009
uffculm mid devon
Funster No
MH
swift royale 59
Exp
Iv'e tried the ssid key & the wifi code it works perfect in uk but not in europe i can take it back to 3 in taunton but wondered if any funsters had the same problem happy travels Rod

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Iv'e tried the ssid key & the wifi code it works perfect in uk but not in europe i can take it back to 3 in taunton but wondered if any funsters had the same problem happy travels Rod
What exactly is the problem? If you type in:

ID: admin
password: admin

can you get into the settings?

If it won't work it could simply be that the APN needs changing to "3internet" ...

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Have you enabled "roaming"?

lilyput

Free Member
Jun 4, 2014
Funster No
Excellent advice, thanks! Have just bought a Huawei mobile WiFi E5330 from Ebay for £15 and it is tied to EE. Would you suggest I unlock it using the Ebay unlocker's code. Also is there a list of APNs available? Would the APN of local French providers be required? Thanks in anticipation - Liliyput

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Excellent advice, thanks! Have just bought a Huawei mobile WiFi E5330 from Ebay for £15 and it is tied to EE. Would you suggest I unlock it using the Ebay unlocker's code. Also is there a list of APNs available? Would the APN of local French providers be required? Thanks in anticipation - Liliyput
Yes, just get a code off Ebay for 99p, its quite easy to unlock them, you just need a sim from another provider to use with it then. You can get lists of the APNs on the internet quite easily depending on who you decide to go with. Can't say about local French providers as we always use our '3' sim abroad now which connects automatically to the network.

Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
I am at present using Huawei Mobile WiFi and a one off "3" SIM card . Can pick up WiFi almost anywhere.

Colyboy

Huwmari

Free Member
Jul 26, 2013
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 201
Exp
since Apr 2013
All the above is very interesting but we have had no trouble (and no expense) in finding either a tourist information office or bar/café etc with free Wi-Fi when on our travels. Job done.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back