Done to Death: House Ins. Info (1 Viewer)

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Hi All,

I could have waited until I got the result on this but I thought I would inform all BEFORE we set out in the winter because it may be of use.

This year, and without giving it much thought we booked our winter trip and later realised that we will be away for more than 90 days. I then checked the House Insurance and it said a limit of 60days.

So far, same old same old.

However, I rang LV who cover us and discovered something that surprised me.

Apparently, LV will continue to Insure us beyond the 60days with certain ordinary parts of the Insurance removed, (stuff like burst pipes malicious damage to windows) but, and here's a big but, the Insurance carries on as before. So that, if the Jumbo Jet flying overhead (and we're on the flight path to America) drops a 20kgs ice cube through the roof, and that has happened recently to someone, we would continue to be Insured.

Their Rep. even did a 'dummy run' with us telling him of a trip the same length as ours and the cost was NIL!!!

So, if you are planning a trip and you have Insurance that doesn't cover the length of trip you want, it might be worth giving them a call and finding out what they think without having to resort to getting another Ins. Co. in.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
I phoned my insurers and my option was to empty water system or leave heating on constant 15 degrees, (it was over winter) went with the latter.
And also someone check weekly, which a friend very kindly did.

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
One insurance company when advised we would be away for 4 months over winter said "OK, turn off the water, leave the heating on, set the alarm and turn off the electric"
They didn't realise that without electricity the alarm wouldn't work or that the central heating pump wouldn't work until I pointed it out to them.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Not sure that I'd agree not to have malicious damage covered ... what if you get broken into and damage caused - when we were burgled they b*ggered the patio door and a window, costing about £1,700 and that was 20 years ago!

If you have someone going in regularly and/or staying for the odd night just before the 60 days limit is up, does that 'reset' the day counter again?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back