Dometic RM5380 Fridge - noisy on gas (1 Viewer)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Whilst our fridge worked perfectly whilst on holiday (even in 37° it coped well although I will be fitting a fan to assist it before our future foreign trips as I don't think it will do any harm) we have noticed that the burner is 'noisy' most of the time, like a mini blow-torch noise with a slight stutter! Although it didn't appear to be using a lot of gas, it didn't seem to go into the 'pilot light' only mode when cool enough and then back into full function gas mode only when necessary to maintain the temperature, which is what our previous fridges have done.

If we set the temperature dial high and later turn it down it has to be taken very low to get it to go into pilot mode if we can get it to do so at all as it would normally still keep burning noisily and not click off. Even when we had much cooler days, no more than 20° and down to 15° or possibly less, it still kept on making the noise and not going off. This happened all the time, regardless of what was in the fridge/freezer, whether it had a lot or a little in. It didn't really make much difference overnight either but as the burner noise was mainly heard in the lounge area fortunately it didn't affect our sleep!

Apparently it has an "integrated gas galvanometer" (IGG) which from my very basic understanding is something that monitors the fridge temperature and sends a signal to tell it when to re-ignite ... but I'm note sure!

http://www2.dometic.com/enie/Asia-P...n/Refrigerators/products/?productdataid=99081

Before I ring the dealer to get it checked out I just wondered if anyone else has had this and is it normal for this model of fridge? If not, has anyone any ideas as to what the problem may be? I am wondering if it is something to do with the IGG or a partially blocked jet etc - any ideas?

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
Have a look inside at the location of the thermostat end. It's normally clipped to the cooling fins at the top/back of fridge. If it has come adrift or is touching something it shouldn't, it won't detect the right temperature and turn off. This would also show as water or milk in the fridge freezing, etc. If fridge temperature seems normal then check door seal.

I think some fridges are just more noisy on gas but normally click on and off a few times an hour. So, if it's not the above then probably best to have someone look at it unless you feel competent to check the jet, chimney etc yourself. Not difficult but horses for courses...

I don't think it would be your galvanometer, which I think probably means what in the UK is called a thermistor. This is what looks to see that you have a flame and shuts the gas off if the flame goes out. They normally fail safe and you've got the opposite problem :)

Good luck, fridges can be a real headache when they act up.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Never heard of an IGG before.. sounds like something Dometic made up... Galvanometer is simply a basic ammeter.. so I'd guess it is as BwB said.. a flame monitor

not much info when Googling, but I found this ...

The galvanometer is used in caravans and motor-home-propane fridges, Wall furnaces gas hot water systems, gas heaters which can run on liquid gas. it indicates the burning of the gas flame. Via a thermocouple the flame heat is transformed into a voltage and current level. The galvanometer uses this voltage in order to indicate that the flame is burning.

I think Andy had the same issue, ie noisy flame, and was having trouble getting it repaired.. ..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Our gas flame sounds the same but seems to work fine up to nearly 40 degrees in France this summer saw others takng the vent cover off to get more airflow ours was fine on gas not quite so good on electric.I was worried about the gas consumption due to the noise but it seems fine.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Had similar problem with our 8505, had the burner changed and it was a bit better, but still noisy and did cool better but not as good as I thought it should, the guy who came out to do mine was a bit ham fisted so I didn't want him back.
I checked it had the correct jet, another funster had one with the wrong jet, anyway when I put it back together accidentally on purpose got the line up of the burner to jet better. Now have a nice quiet burner and can't hear it inside the van now and fridge cools a lot better.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back