Dometic RM 5530 Fridge, cleaning the gas burner. (1 Viewer)

Aug 28, 2014
Dorset (expat Oxonian)
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
since 2011
Can anyone advise me please, how to access and clean the gas burner, as I am having great difficulty getting the gas to ignite.
It has a push button ignition system, with a AAA battery in the igniting button.
I have replaced the battery with a high power type to no avail.
As I am currently in Southern Spain, I am desperate to get it working reliably !
The instruction manual recommends cleaning quarterly, as I am on LPG.

Aug 5, 2012
Southampton
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
since 1981 on and off
I don't know this model, but all the ones I have seen are accessed from the back. Can you remove the grille from the outside of the mh? if so you may be able to get to the burner from the outside. Try blowing through a straw at the pilot and ignition electrode, a small deposit is all it takes to stop it working. If this does not work can you light it with a match? Good luck

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Quite often a bit of crud falls down the flue and just needs blowing away from the burner, often access is from the lower grill but don't know your van.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Don't use a pin or wire to clean it. Deffo not recommended.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Not sure if you have one but a paint brush gets my vote to clean it (y)

bernardfeay

Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
Our pizo electric spark lighter never works. Every time we go on a trip my wife has to be inside the motorhome with the fridge switch shoved in. I am on the outside with a spark gas lighter. She has to close the window blinds to make it dark enough to see if the flame is lit but it works for us. All we do is take that vent cover off on the outside and make the lighter reach in to close to the gas supply. Be aware that the lug that you turn to remove the vent seems to work the opposite way to what you expect.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
MykCamper 1
Aug 28, 2014
Dorset (expat Oxonian)
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
since 2011
Stopped raining at last!! checked everything out as you guys have advised, many thanks, now understand the workings.
It's igniting OK but the gauge on the front of the fridge appears to be faulty as it's showing no readings.
Another piece of warranties to add to the list on my return to the UK, next month!!!:cry:
Again many many thanks for all your help, peace of mind and cold beer again!! :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back