Dometic oven problem

Discussion in 'Fridges & Ovens' started by Johnnyb, Aug 21, 2016.

1. Johnnyb

Johnnyb Funster

We have a combined Dometic oven and grill, the type that sits on top of the fridge freezer. When I lit the oven yesterday the flame wouldn't go any higher than the minimum setting whatever the position of the rotary knob. The grill works fine as do the gas burners on the hob so I don't believe it's a gas supply issue.

After a quick search on Google it seems to be pointing to the oven thermostat or the flame failure device (should this not shut the gas off completely?). Is there anything else obvious that I'm missing before I contact a gas engineer? Any recommendations for someone in the South Yorkshire or North Derbyshire area would be great too.

2. dulvil

dulvil Funster

Take the rotary knob off and put some thing small into the knob where the shaft goes. This lets the knob push the shaft in further,that cured my new one the other week. Hope this works

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Johnnyb

Johnnyb Funster

Interesting idea but the knob also controls the grill which is working fine, worth a look though.

4. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

Not sure I understand. The oven is controlled thermostatically so the flame is always the same size and does not change as you turn the knob. Instead when the temperature set by the knob is met the flame goes out leaving only a small pilot on. And it comes on again when the temperature drops.

• Like Like x 1
  5. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

The mother in law has the same problem with her oven.
    I think it is the gas valve assembly at fault. The thermostat comes prefited.
    Replacement cost for the part is £157.00.
    I'll be looking again at the fault later in the week.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Johnnyb

Johnnyb Funster

Thanks for the replies, I'm not at the motorhome until the weekend so will have another look then.

Peter, That sounds like a different design to our oven as the flame did adjust in size depending on the setting of the control knob.

7. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

Well mine is the Dometic Tec Tower, with fridge freezer and oven in a 2015 motorhome. Flame is the same size on all setting of the oven, just switches to pilot quicker the lower the setting.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. wigster

wigster Funster

My oven works the same as peter, flame same size , thermo controls what settings.
    Try cooking something , allowing longer than you would maybe on your bricks and mortar oven.
    Saying cook something sounded as if i was taking the pee i wasn't honest. Might be the best way to see if it works tho .

• Like Like x 1
  9. Johnnyb

Johnnyb Funster

image.jpg Hmmm, you're making me think I may be going mad now. Ours is a 2010 oven so may be different from the one you both have? This is it.

10. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

Mine is the updated version of yours. There are only two ways that a gas oven regulates its temperature. Old fashioned ones do it by varying the size of the flame, which stays on all the time - do you remember the old "Regulo" numbers that gas ovens used to use instead of a temperature. The other, modern, way is a similar way to how electric ovens work in that they have a thermostat which switched the flame off (or more commonly to pilot) when the set temperature is reached.

You have said that you have a thermostat in which case the flame will be the same size no matter what temperature you set it to.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. Johnnyb

Johnnyb Funster

I need to try cooking something in it and see what happens :confused:

12. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

Our oven is OK, although it takes longer than our oven at home to cook or heat up things. Mind you we never use it for roasts - to much faffing about. While we are way we would much rather go to a carvery. The grill is not very good at all.

13. Johnnyb

Johnnyb Funster

We've used ours quite often and that is what got me started with this thread. I could swear the flame was much bigger before. I'd agree about the grill though.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. Johnnyb

Johnnyb Funster

Small update but no quick fix.

We've just spent the weekend away in the motorhome so I decided to test the oven. On lighting the oven the flame is quite low and as mentioned the control knob has no effect on the flame size or heat output. I left it to heat up for half an hour and then checked the temperature inside the oven. In the past when opening the oven door there would be a good blast of heat in your face if you were standing too close, now it's just warm and I could easily place my hand in the oven comfortably so definitely not hot enough to cook.

So according to Google there are a number of things that could be causing this, a partial blockage in the gas pipe supplying the oven, a partial blockage in the gas jet in the oven, a faulty flame failure device or faulty thermostat. Things are never simple are they :confused:

15. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

If you have a flame, no matter how small, it won't be a faulty flame failure device. If the flame is still the same as when you started then it is probably not a faulty thermostat.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Johnnyb

Johnnyb Funster

Thanks Peter. I thought the same about the flame failure device. Yep, no change in flame size at all.

17. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

I think the first thing would be to look at the jet. But I do not know how you can get to it.