Dometic Fridge Problem

Discussion in 'Fridges & Ovens' started by Steve304, Sep 8, 2015.

1. Steve304

Steve304 Read Only Funster

HELP!!! Please.
    We have just started a tour of Germany and discovered that our Dometic Fridge isn't working properly. It just cant cool down as it should and after checking all the obvious items such as the fuses and electrical & gas connections, I decided to remove the outside grill covers to see if there was an obstruction affecting ventilation. What I can see (and feel) is the cooling radiator at the top of the unit (which is dog leg shaped - part horizontal section and angled section) is only getting hot on the smaller horizontal section and this makes me wonder whether the condensate has drained off somehow? We do normally park at home on a driveway which is about 45 degrees. All of the electrical switchings i.e. 12v and 240v are working, but when trying to use on gas it goes off after about 1 minute, but I think this is only related to the main problem? Has anyone else had this kind of problem and more importantly, can anyone offer me some assistance? Thanks in advance.

2. Nirvanauk

Nirvanauk Funster

I have a Dometic fridge and if the ambient is above 20 then it doesn't work worth a damn. So I have resorted to buying blocks of ice as I travel and deal with it that way. I have tried running on gas and it makes no difference. Others have advised installing a cooling fan but haven't been able to do that as I'm not able to find a 12 volt supply.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Steve304

Steve304 Read Only Funster

I'm concerned that the cooling radiator is only working on part of it, which I don't think is correct. To be honest, we have never had a problem with the Fridge before, even when travelling for 6-8 weeks through Europe in high twenties. Maybe we have been lucky so far?

4. Robert Clark

Robert Clark Funster Life Member

Is the van level
    Anything over 6 degrees out of level and the gravity feed on the fridge stops working properly

5. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

The fridge itself has two 12v supplies. One only works with the engine running but the other is there all the time to work the electronics (if AES) and the igniter. Use that one.

6. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

that is the problem.. a few pointers..

could be a faulty thermocouple or gas valve, dirty flue, blocked jet,

have a look when it is lit, is the flame a strong blue colour.. if not it may be a blocked jet.. or faulty gas regulator..

is the tip of the thermocouple in the hot part of the flame.. ? also check it's connections..

7. muddywellies

muddywellies

I have a Dometec fridge and near Rochelle in France it effectively gave up the ghost. Ambient temperature and in-fridge temp were embarrassingly similar!! Found a Dometec agent and choked on 160euro fee for a new electronics board that was easy to swap over myself so no fitting charges. Result was a success.

Sure, when the ambient is 35C+ I switch to lowest setting reducing the heat it produces and use it as a food cupboard. But be sure to keep clean inside.