Dometic Fridge not running on Gas

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by Clickem, Aug 12, 2016.

1. Clickem

Clickem Funster

We have a Dometic RMS 8401 3 way fridge, that we very rarely use on gas. On a recent trip the fridge would not run on gas for several hours, but worked OK the next time I tried it.

I had been changing the gas bottles over before the trip, but we had used the gas hob before trying the fridge on gas. Should I suspect an air lock which has now cleared itself?

Is it more likely that a jet has been blocked? I did try turning the gas isolator tap on and off a few times to try to clear it

The fridge has only ever run on gas for a few hours in its life, should I treat it to a burner clean/service?

2. Theonlysue

Theonlysue Funster Life Member

I would say get it serviced properly.

3. BwB

BwB Funster Life Member

Our fridge used to do that if the gas bottle had been off for a while. As you've done already, I used to run the gas hob for a few seconds to get the gas through and then turn the fridge to gas. Sometimes it still took two attempts. (Also, usual advice about the van being very level etc.) :)

4. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

When we arrived at Malvern show I went to light the fridge and, despite having used the hob to make a cuppa, it took an age for the gas to get through, we had used it a couple of weeks earlier whilst having a night away at the seaside where it was okay, but this time it decided it wasn't going to play straight away!

5. Baggers53

Baggers53 Funster

We had a similar problem whilst away in Cornwall.
    On our return a neighbour, who is a caravan service engineer, said to change the
    gas tail pipe, runs from regulator to gas bottles, as it was date stamped 2009.
    Apparently these should be changed every 5 yrs.
    Then he did a service on the jet end .....all this was a blast of air from my air compressor....
    as he said the jet was good and the flame was good and blue in colour.
    Since then all has been good.

6. KeithChesterfield

KeithChesterfield Funster

OP - were you parked on level ground when it wouldn't work?

They don't work on gas unless you are reasonably level.

7. emmitdb

emmitdb Funster

Last winter we ran out of Gas whilst wilding in Spain. No problem, thinks I as I went outside to change bottles, (pre our new to us Gaslow system).
    Would the fridge work on gas? "%$£^%$£" came forth as I tried everything to get the fridge to light.

Had to go to a site for the weekend to keep the frozen stuff intact. Before we went to the site I visited a garge and gave the jet a good blast with the airline but that didn't work.

When on the site, we left the van and went into town. On returning we found that the gas to the fridge was working 'normally'

Lesson learned. Do not run out of gas completely. It will take forever for the gas to replenish itself. If you change a bottle, run the hob to draw through the gas as far as the cut off valves, and lastly, DON'T PANIC!!! Like we did. That weekend cost us 45€ worth of wine vouchers

8. Clickem

Clickem Funster

Pretty much level ground, and the next day after it had cleared it worked fine on the same spot, so don't think that it was the cause.

The van is due a Habitation service in early September, so will ask them to check/clean the jet

9. KeithChesterfield

KeithChesterfield Funster

Try taking off the bottom grill, on the outside of the MH, by sliding the two plastic brackets sideways and remove the grill.

Using a very soft brush gently wipe everything to get rid of dead insects, dust and general muck.

Then try to start the fridge on gas and listen to hear if the ignition clicks or not.

If it clicks but doesn't ignite then you probably have a gas problem.

If it doesn't click it's probably an electrical problem.

Which ever result you have and the fridge still doesn't work get a decent engineer to have a look – don't try anything yourself.