LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
I hope this is ok to post here if not please move to a suitable place.

On our first outing in our new, to us, Rapido the fridge door, Dometic, kept opening every now and then, whilst driving.
The door was locked as it should be with the sliding catch.
To say it was doing my head in would be an understatement, so time for a modification i thought.
Also the sliding catches arnt really the best of designs.

I have had some new catches, made from stainless, Laser/water cut the same design as the original except it has a longer "tail" so you can dispense away with the sliding part of the catch. All you do is use the longer tail with your finger to engage the catch for traveling or when left empty for ventilation.

There was a minimum order i had to pay for so just looking to re coup what I have spent out and maybe it will help others out.

Looking for £12 inc postage for a pair of catches so you can change the fridge and freezer catches.
Prefer paypal via friends transfer so i don't pay charges or you can add the charges on, no worries.

Pics for clarity

IMG_3015.JPG IMG_3013.JPG IMG_3021.JPG

Last edited:

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
The sliding plastic cover on our 2005 vintage Dometic catch was constantly snapping so we left it off in the end.

It was possible with ours to remove the door and re-seat it on an extra thin washer on the bottom hinge - that solved some of our locking problems, but the damn thing swinging open on roundabouts and spilling its contents was a routine issue.

OP
OP
Silver-Fox

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
The sliding plastic cover on our 2005 vintage Dometic catch was constantly snapping so we left it off in the end.

It was possible with ours to remove the door and re-seat it on an extra thin washer on the bottom hinge - that solved some of our locking problems, but the damn thing swinging open on roundabouts and spilling its contents was a routine issue.

Tell me about it.
Obviously designed by a bloke that never drove a Moho :) also the catch didn't seem to work properly in the slider :mad:

Over complicated original design i think

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
When we had a van with a 7000 series fridge/freezer used to happen to us often I think I cured it by winding the bottom hinge bolt up as far as I dare without the door falling off.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Nice one, wish you had the same design as ours :)

BTW not sure if it was an auto correct, but the offending manufacturer is Dometic not Domestic

we have one that slides on the top of the door, equally useless in that it breaks too easily, gone through several already on ours :(:(

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Tell me about it.
Obviously designed by a bloke that never drove a Moho :) also the catch didn't seem to work properly in the slider :mad:
Just standard Dometic design - how can we design a pile of poo that doesn't work when we have done that we will call it a fridge.:D

OP
OP
Silver-Fox

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
When we had a van with a 7000 series fridge/freezer used to happen to us often I think I cured it by winding the bottom hinge bolt up as far as I dare without the door falling off.

Ours was letting go through i think not engaging or vibrating loose.
Plus the sliding catch is w*nk :mad:
Moving our door up wouldn't have sorted it i don't think.

OP
OP
Silver-Fox

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Just standard Dometic design - how can we design a pile of poo that doesn't work when we have done that we will call it a fridge.:D

If these fridges were two a penny you could understand it but they aint cheap.

I know its easy to criticise but the catch in my opinion is quite important :rolleyes:

OP
OP
Silver-Fox

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Nice one, wish you had the same design as ours :)

BTW not sure if it was an auto correct, but the offending manufacturer is Dometic not Domestic

we have one that slides on the top of the door, equally useless in that it breaks too easily, gone through several already on ours :(:(

Ours is on the top and bottom of the doors also i just haven't shown the plastic sliding bit :)
Maybe ours is the same as yours i don't know the model number of ours but its in a 2006 Rapido

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
upload_2017-5-6_19-9-26.png

this is the pile of not fit for purpose bits that form the stop me from opening catch on ours

best bit of ours is that it is hinged on the front of MH side, so when it swings open it really goes for it, as we found a couple of years ago when it literally ripped itself off the frame :(:( :mad:

the bit that breaks on ours is a flimsy bit on the large section top middle in image

Last edited:
OP
OP
Silver-Fox

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
View attachment 161517

this is the pile of not fit for purpose bits that form the stop me from opening catch on ours

best bit of ours is that it is hinged on the front of MH side, so when it swings open it really goes for it, as we found a coupe of years ago when it literally ripped itself off the frame :(:( :mad:

the bit that breaks on ours is a flimsy bit on the large section top middle in image

Thats the same as as ours @DavidG58 looks like they haven't changed them at all.
The top large piece is where the catch fits in a poxy bit of plastic isn't it.

I have discarded the slide the small screw and plastic pillar along with the catch and now just using the flat plastic bit large screw and new bit i have had made :)

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
The design is crap the srew hole in the large plate is to close to the cut out and weak if the door gets shut with the lock in the closed position it braks the thin plastic stop thats moulded into the top of the door ive spent this after noon replicating the plate in ally and filling the space behind the stop with an ally spacer all works fine now

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Thats the same as as ours @DavidG58 looks like they haven't changed them at all.
The top large piece is where the catch fits in a poxy bit of plastic isn't it.

I have discarded the slide the small screw and plastic pillar along with the catch and now just using the flat plastic bit large screw and new bit i have had made :)

I have found we can easily lock once removing the useless plastic bit, then by using a screw driver to move the metal bit, which so far we haven't broken

best feature on our fridge ('not') is a lock button, which does absolutely nothing

only consolation for us older MH owners, the new ones have effectively got auto lock, with a button on top to push down to allow door to open, no idea how you would bypass that if it breaks while shut, at least we can just force ours to break the catch o_O

OP
OP
Silver-Fox

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
I have found we can easily lock once removing the useless plastic bit, then by using a screw driver to move the metal bit, which so far we haven't broken

best feature on our fridge ('not') is a lock button, which does absolutely nothing

only consolation for us older MH owners, the new ones have effectively got auto lock, with a button on top to push down to allow door to open, no idea how you would bypass that if it breaks while shut, at least we can just force ours to break the catch o_O

SWMBO has small fingers so could lock the fridge with her fingers.
Problem was i couldn't because i have sausage fingers :D
Thats why i had these bits made the tang is longer so easy to push across with my fingers (y)

Still a poor design though you would have thought they would have done something different.

OP
OP
Silver-Fox

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
The design is crap the srew hole in the large plate is to close to the cut out and weak if the door gets shut with the lock in the closed position it braks the thin plastic stop thats moulded into the top of the door ive spent this after noon replicating the plate in ally and filling the space behind the stop with an ally spacer all works fine now

I thought about doing that and decided against it, just looked like to much work for to little gain :D

The whole thing is too complicated with to many plastic bits in my opinion :rolleyes:

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Just for info and to add my tuppenny worth .. mine kept breaking too .. I ended up supergluing the plastic bit to repair it but then the screw kept coming out .. it was a rubbish lock. I can't remember what I did eventually but I removed something and now just use my fingernail.

I asked the Dometic stall at one of ghe shows how much for a new lock .. can't remember exactly but it was ridiculous and still the flimsy bit of plastic.

Dognewf

Free Member
Nov 4, 2015
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
lunar newstar
Exp
1 whole year now
ours is the same as David's. when travelling we put the 5kg gas bottle for the cadac in front of the door..

OP
OP
Silver-Fox

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Just for info and to add my tuppenny worth .. mine kept breaking too .. I ended up supergluing the plastic bit to repair it but then the screw kept coming out .. it was a rubbish lock. I can't remember what I did eventually but I removed something and now just use my fingernail.

I asked the Dometic stall at one of ghe shows how much for a new lock .. can't remember exactly but it was ridiculous and still the flimsy bit of plastic.

@movan thats why i had these made you can push the catch across without having to break your nails :D

OP
OP
Silver-Fox

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
ours is the same as David's. when travelling we put the 5kg gas bottle for the cadac in front of the door..

Have to say i wouldn't fancy driving with a carefree bottle of gas inside the moho :eek:

OP
OP
Silver-Fox

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Catches duly posted out at around 10.30 first class so hopefully with you on Thursday at the latest.

Please let me know they arrive ok

I a couple left if any one else needs one or a pair.

Thanks

OP
OP
Silver-Fox

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
No more left now

If anyone wants some i would happily take pre orders and payment but there is a minimum order at the engineering firm i used.

Regards Rich

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back