Dometic 7401 L Not working and not sealed??? (1 Viewer)

shortcircuit

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Funster No
Have had my MH for 3 years now and had no problems with fridge. Came home after a week with no problems and went to turn off. Whilst switch rotated to the off position light remained on. After a bit of fiddling got it to switch off but now will not switch on in any combination of gas/12v/240 volt. Both this switch and the temperature control switch do not appear to be making contact as they rotate very freely. There are no signs of the fridge moving, however is it possible for the pcb to have moved away from the controls?

Having downloaded the manual to see if the above could be determined from photos, which it did not help, I read the installation instructions that made specific detail of sealing fridge from interior. When parked with the fridge vents facing the wind an absolute gale blows in which now starts me to question if it has been sealed properly. Will have a look today but would ask should this happen and should I consider contacting the original manufacturer?

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi SC if it is above 3 yrs then I doubt you will get any joy.You will have to take it out to have a good look at the control knob to repair or replace it.You may be able to remove it from the inside but sometimes they get to parts/fix from the rear air vents(gas pipes etc).:thumb:You can also seal around the fridge with sponge through the vents after fixing it back.Because this is fiddly they do not always seal them,but although draughty it should /will have it's own flue pipe to the top right of the vent dispersing any nasty fumes.:thumb:
terry

OP
OP
S

shortcircuit

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Funster No
Thanks Terry

I was not holding out any hope from the manufactures, however what concerns me is that the fridge should have been installed to a standard and because it is fiddly is no excuse for not fitting the seals which are there to prevent gases returning to the inside.

Will spend some time today investigating

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi again SC, read the installation manual it explains how it should be fitted giving various options,sealed and not :winky: a bit like the fitting under an open window thing if you get my drift.It would not comply with the regs or get a gas certificate/ habitation check for the last 3 yrs---I would think ?????????????
terry

OP
OP
S

shortcircuit

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Funster No
Thanks again Terry

Have been bold and have move fridge just out of enclosure Sealing kit is just foam and has been fitted.

Have found the shaft from the energy selector switch broken. Have superglued on and am currently waiting on the hot glue from the glue gun to set up. Will then spray with WD40 to ensure it moves smoothly.

Thanks again

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi SC reseal it when done and stuff some foam under it as they never seem to do that :thumb: this may be where your draft is coming from :thumb:
terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi SC again after refitting ---epoxy /araldite may be better than hot glue gun--- do a quick simple gas test :thumb: turn on the gas at the bottle, turn it off after a couple of seconds :thumb: wait five mins then turn on the cooker and listen for the pressurised gas escape :thumb: if you hear it you will know it is holding pressure :thumb:
terry

OP
OP
S

shortcircuit

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Funster No
Doom and gloom this morning.

Left on 240 overnight and it is not cooling. Had been keeping an eye on it during the day, when on gas and although amber healthy gas light showing it was not cooling. Will take it out today and try the upside down trick for a few hours.

Will do a bit of searching for a replacement in anticipation of failure.

Anybody any hints, technical or cost wise?

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi SC,
Motorhome Self Build, Camper Van Parts, Spares and Accessories
for costs on a new one,or depending on size I may be able to get one from a local place at about 50 quids cheaper.Have a search around or ring Dometec teccy, it could well be a part that's gone because there is not a lot to fridges.It could well be an airlock but you have this covered.
terry
edit == quick thought have you glued the knob in the right position ? ie so that it turns on/off set temp up and not down

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

shortcircuit

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Funster No
Just an update.

The only thing that was upside down was me doing cartwheels of delight(if only I could).

Had another look at the pcb this morning and noticed a small brass pin. Hmmm, this looks like a contact out of a rotary switch. Opened switch up to find only one pin in place with a mangled spring. Looks like one pole of the switch provides the indication and the other missing side activate the function, which was confusing me. Eventually found the other spring and with much footering about got it all back together. Plugged it all together and away it goes. Thanks for the suggestion Terry about the knob, which is slightly off, but not enough to confuse.

Currently making ice cubes as I will go out tonight and have a nice large scotch on the rocks. Who's a happy Easter bunny then!

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Hi we were on mains power for 7 weeks in spain all ok, but when we unpluged to come home we could not switch to 12v or gas or turn nains light of but of course the fridge was not working, we took it to repairers on retun to find the switch had broken at the back end of a small geared cog, BAD news is part not on sale so a new master board is required about £200 not nice. Peter:cry::cry::cry::cry:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back