Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Hi all,

Yesterday, we called in to our local Flogas depot to fill up our bulk tank. Whilst chatting with the attendant, he was telling me that even with the lower VAT rating, the domestic gas price is currently £0.69 ppl, whilst the Autogas price is currently £0.66 ppl

Now then, even when domestic gas supplies were lower in price, I've never been able to get a supplier such as Flogas or Calor to fill up our bulk tank, even though I can prove that it is for domestic use only. They have always insisted that I fill up with Autogas, and pay the road fuel duty and higher VAT rate.

Also, looking at up to date Autogas prices in your area, why is everyone else selling Autogas at prices much higher than the likes of Flogas? :Angry: There's even a Tesco in the Cambridge area selling it at £0.79 ppl. :Eeek:

Cheers for now,

Jock.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Also, looking at up to date Autogas prices in your area, why is everyone else selling Autogas at prices much higher than the likes of Flogas? :Angry: There's even a Tesco in the Cambridge area selling it at £0.79 ppl. :Eeek:

Good old wealth creating private enterprise? Taking every opportunity to create wealth for their overpaid executives?

Nah, can't be that, it's only the public sector that has fat cats isn't it? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
The Calor depot at Bury St Edmunds sells it at the domestic rate. If it is for cooking purposes in the van they legally have to do so. We did get into an argy once about how much you could buy before it automatically went up to road duty rate but in the end the girl on reception was over-ruled by the manager who said it does not matter if it is more than 40 litres (or whatever she said the cut off was and we were just over) if it is for cooking then it has to be 5% VAT. He cited an RV they get in there with two large tanks and he pays two rates, one for each purpose. I reckon it is illegal to charge the higher rate for domestic use. Oh, we did have one other funny thing, I was suddenly being told by another plonker there that we should not fill our tanks there but to go to a' special place'....... this was the huge Calor depot as I said :ROFLMAO:. If I can fill it at the garage further along the A14 then I could certainly fill it at Calor. There are some jobsworths that do not know the facts. Jane ::bigsmile:

S

stagman

Deleted User
Hi all,

Yesterday, we called in to our local Flogas depot to fill up our bulk tank. Whilst chatting with the attendant, he was telling me that even with the lower VAT rating, the domestic gas price is currently £0.69 ppl, whilst the Autogas price is currently £0.66 ppl

Now then, even when domestic gas supplies were lower in price, I've never been able to get a supplier such as Flogas or Calor to fill up our bulk tank, even though I can prove that it is for domestic use only. They have always insisted that I fill up with Autogas, and pay the road fuel duty and higher VAT rate.

Cheers for now,

Jock.

At the Stratford show earlier this year the attendant offered me cooking gas at 56p/ltr or autogas at 76p/ltr guess which one I went for :thumb:

Craig Rogers

Free Member
Nov 9, 2011
Midlands, UK (Welsh!)
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie!
This is interesting reading. So, with those with Gaslow (or similar) products. Is it also easy enough to fill up with "Cooking" Gas rather than contribute to the [STRIKE]road repairs[/STRIKE] MPs expenses?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i just had my big tank filled at home for 54.6p by a well known supplier. gas low etc are just a waste of money .

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
i just had my big tank filled at home for 54.6p by a well known supplier. gas low etc are just a waste of money .

No,not a waste of money, each fill is cheaper than exchanging bottles. The main benefit though is convenience. No...I reckon that will last over the weekend... I hope. You top up any time you like. Go away always full. I know the bottles cost initially but even that can be well offset by just how much you use your van and it's facilities. Jane :Smile:

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
This is interesting reading. So, with those with Gaslow (or similar) products. Is it also easy enough to fill up with "Cooking" Gas rather than contribute to the [STRIKE]road repairs[/STRIKE] MPs expenses?

No, not easy to get the domestic rate. All garages will charge the road fuel pump price but a dedicated depot should offer both rates. Just sometimes the staff do not realise this. The security guard at Calor said make sure they charge you domestic rate and wrote it on the ticket and he knew because they used to deal with all the money and accounts at the gate rather than in the office. Jane :Smile:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
there are other ways to fill bottles without the expense of gas low and the other bottles . why leave home with empty bottles fill them up before you leave.

S

stagman

Deleted User

Don't understand , why would it be a waste of money when I can fill a Gaslow or Autogas bottle for around £12 as opposed to byuing a Calor or similar for around £22 also it is more convenient to fill up here and abroad .:whatthe:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
because i can fill mine cheaper or if on the road pay the same price as you . with a filler .
54.6 to fill at home. and i havent spent lots on a bottle plus its cheaper in some countries to havr a local bottle spain and certainly maroc .so thats why.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

do you mean your house/domestic calor tank

there are other ways to fill bottles without the expense of gas low and the other bottles . why leave home with empty bottles fill them up before you leave.

because i can fill mine cheaper or if on the road pay the same price as you . with a filler .
54.6 to fill at home. and i havent spent lots on a bottle plus its cheaper in some countries to havr a local bottle spain and certainly maroc .so thats why.

if you mean you fill your bottles/RV tank from your calor domestic tank you are in breach of contract with calor and the penalties could be severe......like the withdrawal of your bulk gas supply.

the only things you can do with a calor domestic tank is check the level gauge and turn on or off the main stop valve.

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
I contacted Calor to get an account that enabled me to obtain LPG at domestic rate for my motorhome. I eventually got one.

I have tried to get my tank filled in the North Region and the only places I can fill are the two Calor owned depots one at Teesport and the other at Carlisle.

Although there are other Calor depots they are all franchised and do not offer a fill at 5% vat and no road duty. These franchised depots do not accept a Calor account.

I have asked Calor for a list of their company owned depots and all they will do is give a telephone number that you can ring and they will tell you where to go in the area you currently are in. They do not do a list of company owned depots. it just lists all centres.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
they also supply the hoses etc for filling off road vehicles . or fork lifts . etc .
but if not athome use an adaptor easy.
youdont pay road fuel tax if not going on the road.
you know i dont fill road fuel .mines diesel.
you very often get the tanks on ebay . calor flogas etc if you own the tank just buy from who is the cheapest.
i also have an acount for domestic gas . but as you say only the calor stations will do it.

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
i thought if you had a bulk tank at home calor would supply and fit you a dispensing pump for your lpg car if you asked them.
or is this old news and they have stopped doing so now???

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Countrywide Farmers supply both road and domestic rated gas at their depots.

only downside is you need an account with them for each fuel 'type' and they are currently only in the west central of the country (derbyshire/midlands/worcestershire)

they do sell without an account but I had to pay 90p per litre at Malvern....needless to say, i only put in the minimum amount needed to get me to the next stop

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi aba. yes as far as i know they still do. i used to run lpg from them in the 80,s . later had the tank for forklifts etc . now its only to be used for domestic and off road thats what i agreed . i can say i dont use it for on road . its too valuable to lose it. better not cheat as i dont like being punished . but ring your supplier . you have either a bottom take off or a top take off with a pipe going down to the bottom of tank. there are quite a few regulations about where the tank is placed . dont think they would let me have one fitted new now as overhead cables are close by.

OP
OP
JockandRita

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
The Calor depot at Bury St Edmunds sells it at the domestic rate. If it is for cooking purposes in the van they legally have to do so. We did get into an argy once about how much you could buy before it automatically went up to road duty rate but in the end the girl on reception was over-ruled by the manager who said it does not matter if it is more than 40 litres (or whatever she said the cut off was and we were just over) if it is for cooking then it has to be 5% VAT. He cited an RV they get in there with two large tanks and he pays two rates, one for each purpose. I reckon it is illegal to charge the higher rate for domestic use. Oh, we did have one other funny thing, I was suddenly being told by another plonker there that we should not fill our tanks there but to go to a' special place'....... this was the huge Calor depot as I said :ROFLMAO:. If I can fill it at the garage further along the A14 then I could certainly fill it at Calor. There are some jobsworths that do not know the facts. Jane ::bigsmile:
Thanks Jane,

I had a similar situation some years back at the P/boro Calor depot, from a young girl who told me that if I wanted to put LPG in my vehicle, it would have to be Autogas at the road fuel duty rate. I told her the vehicle was diesel powered, and that I had a bulk domestic tank for cooking and heating. She replied, "as we didn't supply the tank, and cannot be assured of it's conformity to saftey regulations, we cannot supply you with LPG at the domestic rate. Gordon Blooming Bennett. :Angry:

I'll try phoning them next week, to see what answer I get this time. :winky:

Cheers for now,

Jock.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back