Domain and email addresses

Discussion in 'Computers' started by ShiftZZ, Dec 3, 2009.

1. ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ Funster Life Member

I have recently bought a domain address e.g. shiftzz.com I therefore have the email domain me@shiftzz.com.

I currently use NTL as my ISP, I can receive my emails easily, but how do I send my mail so that it’s sent using me@shiftzz.com

Thanks

ShiftZZ

PS, the examples aren’t real.

2. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

If you have bought a web hosting package as part of buying the domain name then that will probably include the ability to set up several e-mail addresses. They will have incoming (POP) and outgoing (SMTP) mail servers attached to them - the web hosting company's e-mail help pages should give details.

It then depends on your e-mail client. In Eudora, the one that we use, it is just a matter of setting up an extra "personality" and using that for sending your mail rather than the ISP one.

We also use NTL (Virgin) as our ISP so I have an @ntlworld.com e-mail address. I also have two linked to our company web hosting package and one for a web site I maintain on behalf of a local heritage trust.

When I initially open Eudora I have to put in the passwords for the four accounts and the program brings in mails from the various servers. I filter the messages within the Eudora client for my own convenience.

When sending a message I am given the option of picking the account from which I wish to send it.

Apart from anything else it is particularly useful when we are away and I am connecting using the T-Mobile dongle. Mail can only be sent from the NTL account when connected via the NTL broadband but I am not restricted at all by the other accounts.

Graham

3. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

You should be able to send mails via the same smtp server. For example, I have both an idnet mail address and a domain mail address, but both are sent via the idnet smtp server. It is your profile in the e-mail client (Thunderbird, Outlook, MacMail etc.) that determines who the message has come from.

Philip

4. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

dont think i can do that.
    if someone sends an email to my domain name addy it re-routes it to AOL.

havent seen any way to send mail from the domain name addy.