Dogs travelling in the motorhome (1 Viewer)

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Well I will soon have a dog again. A cross between a labrador and ?.

Not a big dog about 400mm high.

We have a Autotrail tracker FB. So how do I let him travel in the motorhome?

Buy a Kennel/cage or just let him lounge on the rear seating?

Any advice would be appreciated.:thumb::thumb::thumb:

RogeTeri

Free Member
Apr 8, 2012
Abrantes, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
February 2013.
Mine have a couple of beds on the floor behind the driving seats. Once in the home they stay there. I'm sure it's not too safe if I had an accident but not sure of an acceptable alternative.

lesleyjean

Free Member
Jun 21, 2008
Funster No
MH
A class
:Smile:Now........

That has opened a can of worms:roflmto::roflmto:

Here is a link to previous discussions::bigsmile:

Broken Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Shuggy68

Banned
Apr 25, 2012
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
i year
dog in mh

u can have my ex wife shes a dog and she can be made to be 400mm high cut her ankles off here is a pic of my ex ---(____|____) :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Our dog is a bit skittish when it comes to vehicles so she travels in the motorhome in a fabric and gauze travel container which folds up when not in use. :thumb:

Spacerunner

Free Member
Apr 7, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Ours lounges on the side bench. Starts off with her head on my right shoulder until her eyes glaze over then she usually ends up on the cab floor between us.
BTW she is a labrador/lurcher cross, usual lab size but a bit slimmer....so far.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Our 2 Border Terriers travel in a soft cage. These fold flat on arrival if needed.
If the kids dont come , which is getting more and more often , the cages stay up and the dogs sleep in them. They are on the side bunk and can see outside and are quite comfy.
That way if theres an accident , all passengers are seatbelted, and the dogs are caged.
This stops them flying about like a missile into any of us or the fixtures and fittings.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
we travel ours with his bed under the dinette which is at the back of the cab seats, we also keep water down for him in a " tommy Tipee" type dog bowl. only problem we have is when you switch the engine off, he knows its time he can get out so he goes to the door and you just have to control that time.

we also carry a simple harness that clips into a seat belt holder if needed to restrain him.

he is not allowed on " the furniture" at home or in the van. but thats our choice.

Aug 21, 2008
skegness
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Symbol
Exp
Van Conversion
Dogs In Motorhomes

Our two geman shepherds travel on the floor and the cat travels on one of the side seats all loose, I'm also sure if we had an accident it would be dangerous.
I got stopped in France 3 weeks ago and fined 90 euros going through a red light and they wer'nt interested in breathaliser kits loose animals or my tom tom all they wanted was money
Alan

Oct 18, 2012
Wortham Diss
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
Motorhomed for almost 7 years - now going nowhere!
We bought a fabric cage through eBay so that both dogs could go in it at night and if we had to leave them for any length of time. Our youngest is very likely to scratch the door down! Cost approx £35. Our Tracker is only a year old.
During travelling the dogs are tethered and can't reach us in the cab.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We have 3 dogs: Romy (greyhound/staffie) who travels either in the dog bed under the dinette table behind the driver's seat, on the rear dinette seat itself, or between the front cab seats; Lily (Patterdale) travels in a dog bed in the centre of the cab floor pushed up to the base of the dash, or on my knee; Tazzy (chihuahua/Jack Russell) who usually lays on my knee or in the bed under the table bed if it's free.

As for your 'new' dog, it really depends what he/she is used to, how old etc - ideally a secured dog harness or cage is the safest but it isn't always a practical proposition.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back