Dogs to be chipped by law from 6th April, up to £500 fine.

Discussion in 'Pets' started by Encantador, Feb 1, 2016.

1. Encantador

Encantador Funster

I wasn't aware of this so thought it worth a mention.

Saw a poster in vets today. It says you can be fined even iff the dog is chipped but your details have not been updated, change of address etc.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. Ralph-n-Bev

Ralph-n-Bev Funster

Great idea. Ours are done .
    I think they should do it with kids too ! IMO
    Dna etc from birth.
    Everyone is born innocent........

• Like Like x 7
    • Funny Funny x 2
  3. ****

**** Read Only Funster

I was walking past out local community center last year and happen to see a sign saying free dog chipping today. Rocked up and was in luck. Done and registered for free. No need to be on the dole or any other benefit but worth an ask at your local PDSA or whatever is in your area.

BTW. Another vote for the kids but one further. Put a bloody tracking device in as well.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Abacist

Abacist Funster

They also need to do everyone entering the country and their finger prints like they do when entering the USA

• Like Like x 7
  5. Encantador

Encantador Funster

I wonder how many people have their dogs chipped but have never thought to update their contact details if/when required.

Little chance of getting into trouble though, not really going to be policed unless the dog gets up to no good.

6. ****

**** Read Only Funster

It may make the little ned wanting a staffie think twice as he will have to pay for the chip. Thats a bottle of buckie man, sod that.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Ralph-n-Bev

Ralph-n-Bev Funster

I caught a dog running over chantry bridge in Wakefield. Middle of all the traffic. Took me 1/2 hour to catch it , little sh!t haha talk about stopping traffic !
    I managed to get him. Fasten him with my belt and get him in my car. When I took him to my vets they scanned him. No one at his recorded address knew of him(n). I took him home. Thinking he'd be a new addition to our family, growing attached by the minute. :unsure:
    Our eldest looked on various sites. ( we don't do face book etc ) He found him, he'd been missing 3 days. Nails worn right down with running. Very thin.Turns out they'd moved twice since having him chipped ! DOH!! Not renewed the details on the microchip.o_O
    Poor little thing was a house dog ? :cry: Never went out. Was scared of everything.
    They wanted me to take him to their flat ?:mad: Cheek !
    I didn't. They got a taxi to our house . Little thing was do pleased to see them it wet itself. With excitement .
    I on the other hand :cry:

• Like Like x 6
  8. Khizzie

Khizzie Funster

They should make chipping of cats compulsory as well ,then I could scan them to find out where to post their deposits back to ..⁉

• Like Like x 8
  9. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

About time too. I knew it was coming but I hadn't heard about 6th April.

Responsible breeders and rescue centres have been chipping puppies/dogs before they let them go for quite a while.

10. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

I'm surprised. We don't have a dog because of my allergy but I've seen/heard dozens of reports since the requirement came in.

11. Debs

Debs Funster

Good on you Bev! (Take it that it was you:))....cheek of some folk though:mad:
    ......Im sure something will turn up:D

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. Hollyberry

Hollyberry Funster

13. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

Only becomes a problem when a Government decides to prevent everyone with a certain gene from breeding, or living here, or living at all. Why do people assume we'll always have a benevolent Government? Look not too far into the past to see what happened in a country not far from here without that information being on a database.

14. scotzsue

scotzsue Funster

I don't have a dog, but was aware, not before time.

15. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

have known about this since it was first passed into law. I know, because we campaigned for this as a rescue organisation over several years. we would also like to see dog licences and breeding licences introduced too.
    responsible owners already and sensibly have their pets microchipped. its not just for identifying trouble dogs that roam, its hugely important to return a lost or stolen pet home. best result I ever had was getting a dog back to his home before the owner knew he was missing, they had been at work. and the longest was a dog stolen from a car returned to its owner 7 years later when found wandering around in a town 70 miles away from home

• Like Like x 5