Dogs left in MH, owners out.

Discussion in 'Pets' started by Ridgeway, May 28, 2012.

1. Ridgeway

Ridgeway Funster

What's the general advice on leaving dogs in a MH ? Same as cars i.e. never in hot weather (above 18degs) We've travelled with all of ours over the last 20yrs and have been very, very careful if they have ever been left in the car for the obvious reasons. Just wondering if a MH is likely to heat up as much (less glass, bigger volume) or may just take longer to heat up ?

Our current 2 dogs are getting older now and are less happy to be dragged around shops and some times we now wonder if it wouldn't be easier to leave them in the MH for 60-90mins assuming it's well vented, in the shade and with a temp sensor in, this I can easily rig up to SMS me if it gets above a certain temp.

What's people's advice on leaving dogs in a MH ?

2. vwalan

vwalan Funster

hi buy one of those concertina dog guards that fit the front wind up windows . the dog gets loads of air and hope fully can bite anyones fingers that try to get in . had one for years .

3. old-mo

old-mo Funster Extra Special Life Member

Dont get quiet as hot inside a M/Home... not as compact as a car..

So a few windows cracked open should be alright...:Cool:

If not let the wife go shopping and you stay with the dogs and a nice cold beer.. :thumb:

• Like Like x 5
  4. Ridgeway

Ridgeway Funster

Dog or the guard:Smile:

Ah the diamond shaped gizmos, wonder if they'll work in ice cream van top hinged windows ?

5. DESCO

DESCO Read Only Funster

We often leave ours, but always make sure we are parked in the shade, if not left for too long no problems ours have never got too hot.

6. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

We have discussed this between us on many occasions!

Coachbuilt motorhomes are totally different from cars in their construction. The insulation keeps out the heat, your windows are double glazed, you can leave your rooflights opened with blinds drawn mostly across for ventilation AND shade, the list goes on.
    We also have a Fiamma roof fan which we set to extract hot air from the interior whilst we are out.
    The interior keeps cool, the dogs keep cool and there is always plenty of water for them.:thumb:

Your van is at more danger than the dogs in hot weather due to some ignorant do-gooder smashing a window to needlessly get the dogs out!!!:Angry:

7. philw111

philw111 Funster

I have a small electric fan that runs off an inverter. Aimed under the table, this gives them an area that stays fairly cool even in the hottest weather:thumb:

8. lorger

lorger Funster

We leave our dog in the mh when going shopping and stuff if its a warm day we close all the window blinds and open the roof vents leave him loads of water and if really warm we leave a small 12v fan on we bought from halfords.

9. slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob Read Only Funster

89 degree in our RV today

89 degrees in our RV today.

I would never leave Ezzie in it when it is warm.. regardless how many vent or windows.. would not even trust the air con... our's Ezzie's well being is more important than to go off with her in the RV on her own.

Bob

• Like Like x 1
  10. Janine

Janine Funster Life Member

Just use your common sense! I have been leaving my dogs in the MH for the last 20 years with no problem.

As said, pull the blinds down and open the roof vents. Leave them access to plenty of water. The vans are well insulated. It'll be just as hot in your kitchen at home, I guess.

Caravan Club rules say that you can't leave dogs unattended in vans on site, but, there again, I've never had a problem as they are very quiet.

11. Phill D

Phill D

this is good sensible advice, we do the same whenever we have to leave the dog in the motorhome.. we are also able to arm the alarm ( Strikeback from Eddie vanbitz ) with him in just in case some scrote decides to force entry. :thumb:

12. maz

maz Funster

Living in the van, there will always be occasions when my dog has to be left on her own for a short while. If it's warm weather I open the rooflights and pull the flyscreens across, and close the blinds on the sunny side of the van. Insulation levels are good and the van seems to keep relatively cool. :Smile:

13. Ridgeway

Ridgeway Funster

So overall seems OK with good common sense applied. Neither of ours are a particularly heat intolerant breed (Border Terrier and H. Vizsla) although both are in their "later" years so we're a little more cautious. The roof fan or table fan idea sounds good will look into that and also a basic min max therm to see what temps it gets to when we're out. 50% of the time No1 daughter stays behind as she's getting to that age (15) where she can..... amongst other things:Doh: So this does help although there's always some occasions when we all want to go out together.

So the plan:

Window blinds down (windows closed)
    Roof vents open but with shades closed
    Front windscreen cover (exterior type) on
    Water x 2
    Thermometer
    Parked in shade
    Fan some where

The Border frankly couldn't care if he was left all day (conditions permitting) although the HV is a little sticky still.

14. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

my advise is DONT !!!!

you haven't seen the state of my door and side window fly screens.
    and the rear fly screen aluminium frame was torn from the window :cry: in a frenzy to get outdoors to passing dogs.

we left him in the RV for an hour while we went for a beer in the Oswestry clubhouse.

doesn't matter how placid a dog is, it can be alarmed/afraid if left alone in the van.
    believe me, Harry is a boisterous dog in company but has never chewed or damaged anything before :Sad:

• Like Like x 3
  15. Parcverger

Parcverger Funster - Campsite Owner

Now look at the other thread on site at present...posted by Sloberdoberbob

"Sue was loading some bits ready for our trip to France and said the temperature was 89 degree in the bathroom and 85 degree's in the main habitation area.

So we have just switched on the air conditioner to bring it down to 70 degrees.

Very muggy and warm in Tunbridge Wells this afternoon... thunder in the air.

Bob "

Be VERY careful if you are leaving animals in any vehicle

Bob

• Like Like x 1
  16. Janine

Janine Funster Life Member

Well...if you don't have the common sense to know when NOT to leave them in the vehicle, you shouldn't have dogs in the first place!

• Like Like x 4
  17. Ridgeway

Ridgeway Funster

All good advice and worth listening to. Just really trying to way up the difference between cars and MH and what has been peoples experience in practice.

18. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

Cheap and not so cheap solutions, look at the price hike when you put motorhome specific models in the description:Eeek:

Here and Here

19. Ridgeway

Ridgeway Funster

OK ordered a Fiamma Turbo fan kit. Will carry out some testing with temp probes whilst it's parked up at the storage site to see how the temp evolves, inside and out. The MH at storage is parked right in the sun (not good for the van) but good for the test, will need 2 days of consecutive weather to capture the data on my PC, will be interesting !

• Like Like x 1
  20. slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob Read Only Funster

I have a few choices

I could... leave a window open each side and allow air to cross the vehicle

I could leave the main door open and just use the fly screen door on the RV

I could leave the roof vent open

All the above have a risk even with the VanBitz external alarm set.

I could open the roof vent and a window that is on the shade side then set the fantastic vent in the roof to draw air through

Will there be an electrical fault while I am away? that stops the fan running.

I could (if connected to EHU) shut everything, pull the blinds down and run the aircon and hope the site tree does not fuse when someone else plugs in - which is bound to happen while I am away from the RV...

OR

I could take my third member of the family with me.

Given the in side temperature of the RV (Which is very well insulated and has a fair size volume of air room (more than most Europeans could have) ... as said it has been in the high 80's for a few days this past week. I think I will take Ezzie with me.

I once left her in the RV when we first had the alarm put in to go into a supermarket.. set the alarms and forgot we had to set the night setting.. got 100 yards away.. and everything went off.. Ezzie was inside on top of where the forms are and we have a second set of horns fitted.. I do not think it did her any good.

Now one of us stays at the RV while the other does the shopping to save Ezzie any risk.

By the way late last week I was in and out of the house and the RV.. left the habitation door open and the heat still was well in to the high 80's and that was with air passing in to the RV...

Me? just would not risk part of my family. Does not matter someone has got away with it for 20 years... only has to be once and that once could be the next time it is done.

Bob

• Like Like x 1