Free Member
Nov 22, 2009
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
18yrs
I think I am worrying too much about taking Oscar to Spain with us, he is a rescue French bull dog only 18mos or so we think. We have taken him twice in the Uk since we had him, but he doesn't settle very well at night, brilliant at home and is not keen on always having to go out on a lead. Which of course he will have to for the three months we are away. I see lots ot motorhomers with dogs and I'm sure that are not up and down all night with them. Some one has offered to have him, but three months is a long time in a dogs life. Any tips would be appreciated.
Thanks.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
Never had a problem myself

Never had a problem myself.. Ezzie loves the RV, even today when I went on board to do a couple of jobs, she had followed me in and was laying in her usual position on the settee.. soon snoring.. she loves camping and is very good at night.

But, I feel for you.. no one wants to leave a loved dog behind for any time, I have only put Ezzie into kennels once and I am sure it did more harm to me than her, as I was worried about her all the time. So I am relate to the issues.

How is the dog in the day times?

Bob

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
some dogs dont settle and enjoy travelling, you say he is a rescue dog did they give you any history with him - was he taken out somewhere and dumped and that was how he ended up in rescue, dogs do remember these things and dogs do worry about things. Maybe it will take quite a few trips away for your dog to understand that the motorhome is home just like the bricks and mortor home.

My last rescue greyhound doesnt like to be shut in a room on his own - no matter how big or comfy. He had been tied up in a shed in his previous life along with other things that happened with him (tops of his ears cut off and his tail docked not by a vet), shut him in a room on his own and he panics but he is fine if he is with someone

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
When I first got Cass (she was dumped on a beach in Cyprus, aged just a few weeks) she was awful in the car. got in such a state, shaking, slobbering, vomiting. I was worried about her flying in the hold to France but she was OK.
She calmed down in the car the day Holly arrived (found living wild in pack in Cyprus!) She flew out to join us in France and from the day she arrived Cass calmed down and has never shaken, slobbered or puked in the car since! So..... there's one possible solution.

Have you tried the dog pheromone spray? http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=dog+pheromone&tag=googhydr-21&index=aps&hvadid=7629014913&hvpos=1t2&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=712885618822390530&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&ref=pd_sl_3n1xilalp9_b

I have a Feliway for one of the cats--worked really well.

Otherwise look at a company called Denes. They have natural remedies for dogs and might have something calming. Link Removed
You can put in a search for the dog's symptoms and it will find the most suitable remedy.
You can also give dogs Bach's Rescue Remedy. A few drops on the tongue and/or drops in their drinking water.

Last edited:
May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Just a thought

When are you going? I ask because we had a French Bulldog and I know they are not good in the heat. So if it's going to be really hot, I wouldn't take her.

Catherine

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Sorry

Him - I always think of them as female as we had a bitch!

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I sympathise but cannot help as Meg loves going away in the van. She sleeps all night without problem even though we cannot take her cage, which she loves as it is too big.

She has gnawed the handbrake when she was teething though.

Try the pheromone though. I have heard good reports of it.

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
I notice that you are going to Spain (Here we go again...its that Spain word).

I must say that I don't know if the same rules apply to Motor homes, but when you transport a dog in a CAR in Spain, it must have a lead that is inserted into the seat belt clip, in other words it must not be able to -roam- around the car. At a guess I would say the same law applies to Motorhomes.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Our youngest dog ( border terrier) never used to settle when travelling in the motorhome . He'd walk up and down panting , never settle down or fall asleep . Even on a trip up to Aviemore. He was falling asleep sat up , and every time he dropped off he'd wake himself up. He wanted to be up on a chair or my knee at the front . He'd spend ages just looking up at me with pleading eyes.
I'd have the kids saying let him up mum, ahh look at him , let him up !!
One of the kids ended up holding him , on their knee . Then he was out like a light. Then he expected it everytime .
The oldest dog is fine , although she'd always been caged when travelling in the car too . So we bought a fold up canvas cage in the MH . Easier to collapse , and no chance of it bashing the cupboards . They both get in it too .
We dont have dogs on the furniture at home , so weren't going to start it in the motorhome.
If you dont walk your dog on a lead you probably dont want to try it with a cage , but we always found our dogs have gone to theirs as its their space.

I'd get him really used to the lead at home first too , before you go. Then you know he will be safe.

Remember too , training kids and dogs are very similar IMO.
Give em an inch.
Rod for your back etc etc
If your up and down all night with him , he knows it.
Dont do it.
Make sure he has a wee / poo before you go to sleep. Then dont give in.
If you can do that for a human , to get them sleeping through.
You can do it for a dog.
Rescued or not. Dont let that make you baby it. You have to be boss dog.

Unless hes barking , and your parked anywhere near me that is. Then i'd suggest letting him up in bed with you , to settle him :ROFLMAO:
Bev

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
We have these fixings in the motorhome and cars for Meg. They still enable her to move enough to get at her water and food but stop her lying on my feet, not helpful when you are driving. Also would restrain her in a sudden stop. Available from Pets at home and have a variety of ends so should fit any seat belt.

con-tiki

Free Member
Oct 18, 2009
Leeds, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
since 2009
The crates are a good idea as dogs feel 'secure' and safe in them. i use them at home and take one with me in the MH. Dogs really don't want to have the stress of you fussing over them , they want you to take charge and lead them with confidence.

Shirl

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Folding crates like these: Link Removed
are brilliant. Quite light and fold flat.
Cass travelled in one of ours with the 2 cats, down through France. On the ferry you can drape a blanket over them to limit what they can see.

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Susie our yorkie won't settle when terry is driving she's pantingthe whole time. Up and down off my lap. She is tethered to the seat belt but able to walk around and get on my lap. I hate travelling as she gets so stressed out.
but when I drive even though she is still tethered she sleeps on terry,s lap like a baby,pity as I hate driving and rarely do it as I am scared of the size of it.

OP
OP
S

slverdreamers

Free Member
Nov 22, 2009
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
18yrs
Thanks for all your replies and suggestions, Oscar is crated at night at home and in motorhome, but he whines so loundly we don't want to disturb all the rest of campsite. We have I think decided to leave him with a friend this time, enjoy the break, without worries and then spend the summer in the UK a week away at a time. He loves travelling its just the nights mainly . As he is a frenchie we are also concerned re the heat, and also leichmaliasis as we lost a boxer to this sometime ago. We will also look at getting him a companion when we come back
Thanks to all anyway.
regards Glynis

dawny

Free Member
May 21, 2012
newcastle upon tyne
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
im a newbie
I rescue/foster dogs from mostly abused backgrounds and rehabilitate them for their forever home. Unfortunately they generally don’t like change as they get a bit scared and insecure thus generally howl and want attention or get a bit grumpy. You just have to keep reassuring him you are not going anywhere without him or leave him (worse than kids!:Smile:). I know it sounds daft but if you go for a walk take him in the motor home to the location so he associates it with treats and fun times. Also start feeding him in it on occasions if you can so it becomes home from home. Put some treats in the MH for him to find them. Most rescues are food monsters! If he likes showers, shower him in it, basically anything he really likes try and do it in the motorhome or associate it was the MH. It is all about feeling secure. I know it sounds daft but after around 50 dogs and two full timers that seems to be general rule. If you leave him for 3 months all the hard work you have done may be in vain? Hope this helps? I feel for you as I have been there with a great dane I had to keep as she was a nightmare, now after a year she is at least brave enough to say hello to men. Rescue dogs are so special and a gift but make you work for it::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
one settee is as good as another

Ezzie, our St Bernard spends most of her time on the settee in doors, and when we get on the RV she heads for her usual spot... the settee.. always the someway round chin on the back of the upright and stays there... soon she is sound a sleep and we have traveled many times through the night with her like it... when it is time to get her to get off for a wee, that takes some doing... she loves the RV...

If I am working on the RV or around it and the door is open she is out of the house and on the settee hoping we are going somewhere.

She knows when a trip is about to take place and sits near by checking she is not forgotten.

From the day we collected her for her first 5 hour drive from Lincolnshire to Tunbridge Wells she has been a great traveller. A real joy to have on the RV.

Even our rescue St Bernards have taken to motorhomes and cars with no trouble.

Bob:thumb:

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Never under any circumstances, leave any animal, in any vehicle, unattended.

No excuses, it's your pet, except your responsibility for it. :Angry:

mandymops

Free Member
Apr 2, 2012
Streatham
Funster No
MH
bedford rascal nipper
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi, all the above advice is good and it's true that rescue dogs often have anxiety issues which are compounded by change to their routine. Feremones and natural remedies can be helpful but with a very anxious dog you may need something a bit stronger to break the behavioral pattern. The problem is his own stress feeds on itself and it may well be worth getting a weeks worth of acp (acepromazine) which is an effective an harmless tranquilizer from your vet. If you gave it for a week before bedtime he would settle down for a deep sleep and hopefully,after a week during which his world hadn't come to an end, he would probably forget he'd ever been worried. The acp would do no harm and save him a lot of anxiety. Also,it may be worth sleeping in the van with him at home a couple of nights as a trial with acp to assure both him and you that it works. Hope all goes well.
Mandy (former veterinary nurse)

mandymops

Free Member
Apr 2, 2012
Streatham
Funster No
MH
bedford rascal nipper
Exp
I'm a newbie
Never under any circumstances, leave any animal, in any vehicle, unattended.

No excuses, it's your pet, except your responsibility for it. :Angry:

Except??? I don't think he or anyone else was considering leaving their dogs in their van.
Who would?:Sad:

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
I am sorry, my original Post No.17, which was posted in this thread, belonged in the thread, Dogs left in Motorhome, owners out. :Blush: Apologies

Last edited:

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
Slightly off topic, but on some of the posts it gives the impression that dogs are allowed to walk free around the MH whilst travelling. As some of you come to Spain, guess what, you are not allowed to travel in a vehicle with a dog, unless it is in a cage or is restrained by the seat belt.

Heavy fine if caught. I think it is a good thing as IF you had an accident the dog wouldn't be able to "Fly" down the MH at great speed.

At least that is how it is in Huelva district and I expect throughout Spain.

So lets recap Spain not allowed "A Frame" ;-) and loose dogs :ROFLMAO::Smile::thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back