LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Anyone ride with a dog in a basket, front or rear ?

Our old Border is struggling to keep up these days and I'm thinking about putting him in a rear basket on the bike. He certainly enjoys a good walk but the others want to go at full pace when we cycle, the Irish Terrier is happy at 25kmh and gets up to 35kmh so the little 13yr Border simply looks on and says something like "it's ok for you young'uns" and walks off to find something to roll in:roflmto:

I found a wire basket for the rear and am in process of modifying it so that I can take it on/off easily.

Looking for a good way to secure him in as well, thinking about a harness clipped onto both sides.

Any tips ?

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
We see lots that do have their dogs in a basket on their bikes, I just wish our 38Kg pointer would fit into one

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
We saw a few dogs on bikes in France, old wine boxes, wire shopping baskets and posh wicker ones.

Might do something like that for our Scottish terrier.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Greetings,

There's a German lady we've met a couple of times at Benicassim (the site is a stickler for making sure that dogs don't do 1's or 2's on the site) who puts her ancient poodle in a basket on the back of her bike and cycles it out of the site.

I did ask her whether the dog had ever jumped out en route but she explained that she had started putting the dog in the basket as a pup and it had never made an attempt to escape.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Our two ( by the way it's their second birthday today !) spend a lot of time running alongside our electric bikes, some times on the lead, sometimes off but if we have to travel on a busy road to get into town, we pop them in the cycle trailer. If you chose this option, you need to take your time acclimatising them to it though. We started with it in the house for a few days with the wheels off and put some treats in it. Then we had them getting used to it in the garden where we would wheel it around slowly, again with lots of treats, then The Open Road ! You get some funny looks mind !

weekenders

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2008
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 years
We have a dog trailer for our Shih Tzu, Toby used to sit in a plastic box on the back of hubbies bike, strapped in his harness, but not ideal, so we bought a trailer, you can find them on e-bay.
see picture

Attachments

• Switzerland 2013 058.jpg
    Switzerland 2013 058.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 23
OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
at his age he will probably dye of fright the first time you put him in it:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
he's pretty chilled out so I think he'll be fine, just need to keep him safe as well...

We see lots that do have their dogs in a basket on their bikes, I just wish our 38Kg pointer would fit into one
:roflmto: yep that's a tad too heavy me thinks.

When our youngest was a pup, I brought a wicker basket with a wire cover over the top from zooplus. The cover kept him in and safe. Now he is 11months he has bags of energy so clips onto the side of the bike with the eldest dog and runs alongside

http://t.zooplus.co.uk/shop/dogs/dog_toys_dog_training/dog_bicycle_baskets/bike_baskets/33671
yep that one point as our dog is older it will be harder for him to accept vs a younger dog.

How about a bike trailer, lots on ebay and Amazon. Thinking about one for my Border Collie.
Space and weight etc, plus I will use it around the village so a large basket can come in handy. We have a trailer in the barn that we used for the children and the dog ones looks similar, but it would take up too much space for us.

We saw a few dogs on bikes in France, old wine boxes, wire shopping baskets and posh wicker ones.

Might do something like that for our Scottish terrier.
A Scotty would look very cool in a basket, those eyebrows blowing in the wind:roflmto:

Greetings,

There's a German lady we've met a couple of times at Benicassim (the site is a stickler for making sure that dogs don't do 1's or 2's on the site) who puts her ancient poodle in a basket on the back of her bike and cycles it out of the site.

I did ask her whether the dog had ever jumped out en route but she explained that she had started putting the dog in the basket as a pup and it had never made an attempt to escape.
Think I'll need some safety device as a just in case, wondering about a car type harness.

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
We have a dog trailer for our Shih Tzu, Toby used to sit in a plastic box on the back of hubbies bike, strapped in his harness, but not ideal, so we bought a trailer, you can find them on e-bay.
see picture

Nice little trailer there and I guess handy for other things.

Where was the picture taken ?

Lisa

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20th Sept 2014
Doggyride.com

Hi, we have a trailer for our two dogs. we got it from doggyride.com. The wheels pop off and it folds flat. It's brilliant ::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back