Dogs banned on buses in Herefordshire (1 Viewer)

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Quite agree, maz.
The argument is almost the same.
The difference is the bus service is provided for [HI]people[/HI], not dogs, and the OP was about banning dogs from buses, not old men (not women?) with dubious hygiene.
Referring to my earlier post...
would you object to my pet, a pot bellied pig, sharing your double seat?
After all, I would pay for his ticket, he is well behaved, I always pick his crap up and he understands every word I say.

But 'people' includes 'people with dogs'. Dogs have always been companion animals - unlike pot-bellied pigs, which I seem to recall were something of a fad from the eighties. :winky:

'At the driver's discretion' should be good enough - without the need for knee-jerk bans to pander to the more intolerant among us. :RollEyes:

If your pot-bellied pig was to be allowed on the bus by the driver, fair enough - although somehow I doubt that it would be. 'Driver's discretion' = common sense, which seems to be constantly under threat nowadays.

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
But 'people' includes 'people with dogs'. Dogs have always been companion animals - unlike pot-bellied pigs, which I seem to recall were something of a fad from the eighties. :winky:

'At the driver's discretion' should be good enough - without the need for knee-jerk bans to pander to the more intolerant among us. :RollEyes:

If your pot-bellied pig was to be allowed on the bus by the driver, fair enough - although somehow I doubt that it would be. 'Driver's discretion' = common sense, which seems to be constantly under threat nowadays.

It's not about intolerance, maz.
It's about preferences.
Some of us dont want animals on public transport, some do.
Those that do but are refused arent being discriminated against any more than families are regarding adults only sites.
The driver is just exercising his right to choose, which I would agree is common sense.
If he doesnt want it and is free to choose, so be it.
The OP seemed to indicate that it's wrong to refuse a dog carriage on a bus.
It's no more wrong than refusing my pig.
The thinking seems to be that dogs and owners should be catered for and the rest of us should just accept it.
We all have a right to be considered, but people must come before animals, surely?

As I have said many times, I aint a dog hater, dont mind them at all, but I dont want them in my face.

We will agree to differ?

Last edited:

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
It's not about intolerance, maz.
It's about preferences.
Some of us dont want animals on public transport, some do.

So just because you don't happen to want dogs of any description on a bus, regardless of how clean and well-behaved they are, I should not be allowed to take mine on a bus with me? Despite the fact that she's never caused a problem, you would 'prefer' that she should be banned from public transport. That seems somewhat intolerant to me. :RollEyes:

The thinking seems to be that dogs and owners should be catered for and the rest of us should just accept it.
We all have a right to be considered, but people must come before animals, surely?

Whereas your thinking seems to be that all owners of dogs should be denied access to public transport - just because that's how you'd like it to be. No logical reason - just your 'preference'. It's not a case of putting animals before people. It's a case of treating dog owners the same as other people. :Sad: For those of us who live in large vans and don't happen to tow a small car around, public transport is often the only way to get to places. Why should we be denied that just because you'd rather we weren't there?

'Driver's discretion' is all that's needed. If he/she can be trusted to be in charge of several tonnes of mobile machinery plus its occupants, I'm pretty sure he/she can be trusted to decide whether a particular dog should be allowed on board or not. :Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Ok... let me put it like this.
I prefer for dogs not to travel on public transport.. or be in shops..
this is my view.. even though I love dogs.
why the op sees this as some sort of manic rant is beyond me but it appears that my view isn't accepted.
to me.. not accepting others views is narrow minded and a bit sad.
thing is op. im not going to stand up and scream and shout if a dog is allowed on a bus or train I'm on... whereas I get the impression if you're not allowed on you're going to 'kick off' and boycott the county. who's the intolerant one here?
looks like we'll have to agree to disagree :winky:

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
So just because you don't happen to want dogs of any description on a bus, regardless of how clean and well-behaved they are, I should not be allowed to take mine on a bus with me? Despite the fact that she's never caused a problem, you would 'prefer' that she should be banned from public transport. That seems somewhat intolerant to me. :RollEyes:

I'm doing no more than you, maz.
Expressing an opinion.
In the same vein, should someone who is allergic to dog hair be made to ride with a dog?
We can go on forever, it boils down to preferences.

Whereas your thinking seems to be that all owners of dogs should be denied access to public transport - just because that's how you'd like it to be. No logical reason - just your 'preference'. It's not a case of putting animals before people. It's a case of treating dog owners the same as other people. :Sad: For those of us who live in large vans and don't happen to tow a small car around, public transport is often the only way to get to places. Why should we be denied that just because you'd rather we weren't there?

Not denying dog owners anything.
This is about the dog, (yes, yours is well behaved as are many others) not the owner or their lifestyle.
To say I / we would rather you werent there is unfair. No one has said or intimated that.
There is a case for dogs to be carried, as there is a case for them not to be.

[HI]'Driver's discretion' is all that's needed. If he/she can be trusted to be in charge of several tonnes of mobile machinery plus its occupants, I'm pretty sure he/she can be trusted to decide whether a particular dog should be allowed on board or not. [/HI]:Smile:

[HI]I have already agreed on that point, and that is the crux of the debate.[/HI]
Some would say the driver should have no descretion and be made to carry dogs regardless.
Some would say dogs (except blind dogs) shouldnt be carried.
Both are opinions, both have a degree of validity.
The bus company and the driver are free to choose.
I support that freedom of choice, but like yourself, I have my opinion none the less.

I want a bus pass for Piggy!:winky:

Last edited:

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Ok... let me put it like this.
I prefer for dogs not to travel on public transport.. or be in shops..
this is my view.. even though I love dogs.
why the op sees this as some sort of manic rant is beyond me but it appears that my view isn't accepted.
to me.. not accepting others views is narrow minded and a bit sad.
thing is op. im not going to stand up and scream and shout if a dog is allowed on a bus or train I'm on... whereas I get the impression if you're not allowed on you're going to 'kick off' and boycott the county. who's the intolerant one here?
looks like we'll have to agree to disagree :winky:

You seem to be confusing my posts with those of the OP. :RollEyes:

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
if dogs were clean they would bury it like cats do, instead of kicking it about after they have dumped it :Eeek: that is the complete opposite of clean!

Cats Clean, dont make me laugh. Its lovely when i am gardening getting smelly cat shit on my hands because they bury it. BUSBY.:Sad:

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Dogs on buses.

I do not know any one with a badly behaved dog!! or so they tell me. Other dogs are the bad ones not theirs. BUSBY.

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
[HI]I have already agreed on that point, and that is the crux of the debate.[/HI]
Some would say the driver should have no descretion and be made to carry dogs regardless.
Some would say dogs (except blind dogs) shouldnt be carried.
Both are opinions, both have a degree of validity.
The bus company and the driver are free to choose.
I support that freedom of choice, but like yourself, I have my opinion none the less.

I want a bus pass for Piggy!:winky:

If it remains 'at driver's discretion' that's fine. I do, however, strongly disagree with blanket bans on dogs on public transport. :restmycase:

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
If it remains 'at driver's discretion' that's fine. I do, however, strongly disagree with blanket bans on dogs on public transport. :restmycase:

We agree on the descretion issue, Maz. That's how things are.
Beyond that our opinions differ, opinions have a habit of doing that.
Whilst I dont agree with yours, I do respect it.

My case is rested also.
Cheers.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Cats Clean, dont make me laugh. Its lovely when i am gardening getting smelly cat shit on my hands because they bury it. BUSBY.:Sad:

This is a discussion about the toilet habits of dogs on buses, I pointed out to a poster who was claiming dogs were 'clean' that doing a shit and then kicking it around on the ground is not 'clean'. Most people do not take cats onto buses on a lead so therefore what cats do in your garden is immaterial to this discussion.:thumb:

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
This is a discussion about the toilet habits of dogs on buses, I pointed out to a poster who was claiming dogs were 'clean' that doing a shit and then kicking it around on the ground is not 'clean'. Most people do not take cats onto buses on a lead so therefore what cats do in your garden is immaterial to this discussion.:thumb:

I agree but it was not me who mentioned cats first. I was voicing my opinion on a previous post.::bigsmile:

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
What about the local pensioners that can't run a car anymore, how do they get their dog to the vets for treatment?

We are soft in this country - try living in India or Africa where they take every conceivable species of farm animal on public transport! If it fits in a box, on their lap or on the roof, it travels by bus or train.

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
This is a discussion about the toilet habits of dogs on buses,

Well no, it isn't really. Although it does seem to be a peculiar obsession of yours. ::bigsmile:

I have never known a dog to mess on a bus. Nor I suspect have the vast majority of people (whether dog lovers or not).

Reminds me of the Spanish gassing threads: someone heard that someone's cousin's mother-in-law might once have possibly been gassed (allegedly). :RollEyes:

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011

Can't say I have ever seen a dog kicking it's own mess around. Have had dogs nearly all my life and have never had one that does that, or any of my friends dogs. Must be quite a rare behaviour.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
Can't say I have ever seen a dog kicking it's own mess around. Have had dogs nearly all my life and have never had one that does that, or any of my friends dogs. Must be quite a rare behaviour.
Just watch when a pooch has a big job, he kicks at it with his back legs.....and thinks I feel so light & prancy now and with just a kick with the back legs and its all safely buried away.....except when the poor human comes along and steps in it (but probably not in your case as I am sure you are a responsible poo bagger):whatthe::thumb:

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
What about the local pensioners that can't run a car anymore, how do they get their dog to the vets for treatment?

We are soft in this country - try living in India or Africa where they take every conceivable species of farm animal on public transport! If it fits in a box, on their lap or on the roof, it travels by bus or train.

Last time I looked I did'nt live in a third world country.....although the recent governments are doing their very best to get us there:Eeek:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back