Dogs abroad

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Vlad The Impaler, Nov 5, 2012.

1. Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler Funster

I'm planning a trip to France next year and will be taking my dog with me.What I need to know is what does this involve and how much does it cost. ie passport jabs any others.
    Thanks Vlad

Last edited: Nov 5, 2012
  2. Phill D

Phill D

We take our dog as domany others. You need to read up on the defra web site and get a pet passport from your vet. The dog will need to be up to date on its vaccinations, micro chipped, rabbies vaccinated. Cost varries dependant on your vet. Cost us around £150 but that included blood tests which may not now be required.

Also, read up on return requirements, its simple but will cost you about €30 each time.:thumb:

3. yodeli

yodeli Funster Life Member

You did not say which breed your dog is, so just in case .. make sure your dog is allowed on French territory

Amicalement

Frankie:Smile:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler Funster

He's a cockerpoo

• Like Like x 1
  5. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

No, I wouldn't entertain it!

Taking a dog abroad is as dangerous as stepping into a motorhome!

People WILL DIE!!!!!!:Rofl1:

• Like Like x 3
  6. yodeli

• Like Like x 1
  7. Phill D

Phill D

PS: We use the shuttle as we like to keep the dog with us at all times and its only 35 mins. Costs £30 for the return journey and there is a dedicated check in area for the dog. But if you want to avoid a delay dont travel back on a weekend with the dog.

Ours is a cocker spaniel.....

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  8. Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler Funster

Still can't figure out how to get pics off bloody iPad onto post keeps telling me to resize apparently something to do with HD resolution .Got some great pics,any ideas anyone.

9. yodeli

There must be some thread on how posting a pic ... but honestly I'm far too rubbish with puters to be of any help!!

10. laneside

laneside Funster

Here you are Frankie, make do with Lilly and Lynda in action on a Med. beach last week.

It will have to do until Vlad learns how to post a picture of his cockerpoo

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  11. mitzimad

mitzimad Funster

weve done this twice now first time was in may you need to get the rabies jab done as well as the normal jabs being up to date then you have to wait a month for a blood test to prove its worked
    i think its valid for 5 years before it needs topping up
    you have to get the dog wormed and frontlined by a vet between 1 and 4 days before you return you do need to consider this timing regarding ferries etc
    on the ferries the dogs have to stay in the vehicle which could be a problem if your dog doesnt liike being locked in the van alone

12. Phill D

Phill D

The rules have changed as of Jan 2012 so i urge you to got to www.defra.gov.uk, and look up pet passport.

Rabbies vaccine now last 3 years.

Some ferries insist dogs are kept in cages on the car deck and need to be booked in advance. But not all.

Dogs no longer require frontline only worming... please read it up rather than rely on us, so you know exactly what to expect from your vet.

13. Roryboys Dad

Roryboys Dad Read Only Funster

Your Vet will be the first place to go to sort out his passport.

Do it now and get that part of the process sorted out.

We use Eurotunnel as the dog stays with us in the MH, the journey is only 35 minutes each way and there is no travel disruption caused by bad weather in the Channel - whatever time of year he is taken abroad.

The return journey involves a visit to a Vet for Echinococcus treatment (one Milbemax tablet) and a thorough clinical examination.

The Vet visit is between 5 and 1 day before the return crossing and should take 5-10 minutes in the Vets - the Vet we used on Friday last week charged €35

But you must check that the Vet has stamped and dated correctly the Pet Passport (pages 16 and 28) or you will have problems at the Passport Customs Office.

It is your responsibility to ensure the details are correct or your dog could be refused entry back to the UK.

A recommended Vets List is available if requested.

:france::france::france:

14. Larby

Larby Funster

I recently visited France in a Motorhome with a dog. A first on both counts!
    I paid just over £70 for annual check, a rabies jab and issue of a passport.
    P and O charge £15 each way for dog which stays below in MH. Current rules are you only have to wait 21 days to enter UK after innoculation. Outward no problem but for return to UK, you have to have dog checked for general health and having had a worming tablet not less than 24 hours prior to travel and not more than 120 hours since visit to the vet. The vet will check passport, check dog matches the chip, administer worming tablet and stamp the passport. I was charged 30 euros which is about normal.
    The vet is in Calais, I was told by a French lady walking her dog where to go to. Being France you can park outside!! even though it is just 1 km from Calaid sea-front aire which overlooks harbour and beach.
    I just walked in, sat and waited and was attended to without an appointment or even the need to speak, she knew why!
    Naturally I recommend them and the details are as follows:

Clinique Veterinaire Le Goeland, 1148 Boulevard du General de Gaulle, 62100 Calais TEL: 03 21 34 77 39

The address will come up on Google earth using the address omitting 62100. It is a bungalow with practise on ground floor.

They are open 0830 to 1900 Monday to Friday with lunch from 1200 to 1400. Saturdays open 0900 to 1200.

Best to arrive an hour or more before closing in case they are busy else simple.

At port, check-in passed me chip reader to scan the dog and checked details on passport. She issued me with certificate to travel and job done.

All very simple, saw vet Friday, travelled to UK Monday.

Assuming your dog is chipped already, it really is simple.

I was surprised when someone spoke to me in English one day, I asked "how did you know I was English?" I saw you clear up your dog's poo she said, the French don't bother she told me!

15. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

Rules for pet passport:

1) The dog/puppy needs to be microchipped which your vet can do (cost is around £15-£25). As far as I'm aware you actually don't have to have any other vaccinations done (ie the usual annual ones), but of course it is highly recommended that you do, ideally not at the same time as the rabies one though so that you don't over-tax their immune system.

2) Your vet will administer the rabies vaccination and complete the passport paperwork and you then have to wait 21 days before you can move the dog from the country you've had the vaccine done in to another one (this is for Europe ... don't know about the rest of the world!).

3) When returning to the UK you have to visit a vet between 1-5 days to get the tapeworm treatment done, there is no requirement now to have the tick treatment done but you'd be wise to do it anyway.

The original rabies vaccination can be valid for up to 3 years as can the subsequent boosters, however, it will depend on the actual vaccine used (ie which manufacturer) as to the validity period - we've got 2 dogs with 2-year validity, another one has 3!

We had our puppy done in February this year and it cost us £57 which included 3 worming tables, one for the pup and one for each of our other 2 dogs. Note that puppies must be at least 3 months old before they can have the rabies vaccine.

Full info is given on the webpage:

http://www.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-pets/pets/travel/pets/pet-owners/

16. Jez and Lin

Jez and Lin Funster Life Member

I'd also suggest that you have a Doggie first aid kit with you (And kept with you when out with the Dog).Include antisceptic solution, Piriton for any allergic reactions, Tick remover, Crepe bandage & Micropore & dare I say it Sucher & thread if the worst comes to the worst. If your Dog does have an accident you may have to play the role of the Vet depending on where & when you are.:Eeek: I will qualify this & say that my advice goes for the UK as well !

Also I would suggest that you check out http://www.fleatickrisk.com/vet/en/ as this will give you advice on Parasites and diseases that your Dog could be exposed to throughout Europe at varying times of the year - hopefully not to frighten you, just be informed & so avoid high risk areas.:thumb:
    We did before going to the Dordogne in September & it gave us info about Sandflies in that area which can be high risk to a Dog.

17. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

My Newfoundland is coming skiing, hope she's allowed Frankie, I need some one to carry the Brandy up the mountain:Smile:

• Like Like x 1
  18. spannermanwigan

spannermanwigan Read Only Funster

Mentioned it to our vet (lovely kind Belgian lady)
    about takeing our jack russel Russ with us once,
    she said best left at home, too many illnesses and infections for which our
    pets have no immunity too, along with due to all the kind owners taking their
    pets with them vets are now having to deal with illnesses in our animals here unheard
    of in the UK pre pet passports, due to previous quarantine regulations.
    Ya pays your money and takes ya chances, not me I have great neighbours,and our Russ has two homes and no pet passport, sorry if I offend any pet lovers.
    regards
    Steve:BigGrin:

• Like Like x 1
  19. Jez and Lin

Jez and Lin Funster Life Member

Steve - I do think you have a very valid point, I wasn't that comfortable taking my Lab to France for the very reasons you give, I think I will have to look into this in more depth before taking him again. Are there any Vets on Fun who could give any advice?

20. Chas17

Chas17 Funster

Sorry not a vet, but we took our lab, then aged 8 months, when we went to Norway for 5 weeks earlier this year. She had just come into season for the first time when we set out but apart from going a bit stir crazy for a couple of weeks that posed no problems. The only "events" were picking up a couple of ticks in Norway which we quickly removed and the vet on the way back insisting that tick treatment was still required and giving her frontline combo treatment which provoked a very bad allergic reaction.

It was her first major trip and apart from the above was basically uneventful. She learned to swim in the fjiords, dug in the snow and along with us generally had a great time. We certainly wouldn't have considered leaving her for that length of time.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1