Free Member
Jul 26, 2013
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 201
Exp
since Apr 2013
We have been going across the Channel with our little Jack Russell for quite a few years now with no problems on re-entry as her rabies injections are up-to-date and we always visit a French vet for the requisite worming tablet. Whilst visiting our local vet today, mention was made of the need to have yearly booster rabies injections, even though the doggy passport says that none is due until 2019. Apparently this is something which the French authorities are insisting on?? Can anyone shed any light on this please?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We have been going across the Channel with our little Jack Russell for quite a few years now with no problems on re-entry as her rabies injections are up-to-date and we always visit a French vet for the requisite worming tablet. Whilst visiting our local vet today, mention was made of the need to have yearly booster rabies injections, even though the doggy passport says that none is due until 2019. Apparently this is something which the French authorities are insisting on?? Can anyone shed any light on this please?
New one on me ... I believe for French residents it's mandatory to have it done every year along with worming etc having to be done every X months but I've never heard of it applied to pets on holiday from other countries.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Kim H

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 24, 2011
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
Since 2011
I'm pretty sure that you've been given duff information from your vet. We're touring Europe at the moment and have been since the end of December. We're not coming back to the UK until April and we're confident that our 2 dogs will be allowed back into the U.K. even though they had their rabies jabs 2 years ago.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Rabies jab is good for 3 years, and there is considerable pressure from Vets and Breeder associations alike to introduce titre testing rather than mandatory boosters. The rabies jab is not a nice one for our furry friends!

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Your Vet is looking to make profit at your, and your Pet's expense.

Change them!

I did for a similar reason. My then Vet insisted that my dog had to be injected every two years as no three year vaccine was available. My new Vet vaccinates every three years, with exactly the same vaccine.

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Perhaps this helps?
Pet vaccinations for France
France has almost eradicated rabies by vaccinating foxes, although there have recently been a number of reported cases in dogs (one in 2001, one in 2002 and three in the first half of 2004). Although there’s generally no quarantine period for animals imported into France, there are strict vaccination requirements for dogs in certain departments, where they must be vaccinated against rabies and have a certificat contre la rage or have a health certificate ( certificat de bonne santé), signed by an approved veterinary surgeon and issued no more than five days before their arrival. Resident dogs need an annual rabies booster and it’s recommended that they’re also vaccinated ( vacciné) against the following diseases:

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
They're concentrating on the wrong end of the lead. I've seen a few British visitors to France who could use an annual booster. Or something :D2.

KeithChesterfield

Free Member
May 20, 2015
Stand Road Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2010
The UK Vets give a three year Rabies treatment but the French usually give a one year treatment (I've heard some give a two year treatment but not many)

The UK 3 year treatment is sufficient for the Pet Passport officials when returning to the UK.

The OP's dog is okay until 2019 but check your dogs Pet Passport to ensure the Rabies treatment is valid until you return from holiday - 21 days the wrong side of the Channel until your dog is allowed to cross is not worth contemplating.

:france: :france: :france: :france:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Your Vet is looking to make profit at your, and your Pet's expense.

Change them!

I did for a similar reason. My then Vet insisted that my dog had to be injected every two years as no three year vaccine was available. My new Vet vaccinates every three years, with exactly the same vaccine.
I'm not sure if the vet is being naughty or simply not being fully conversant with the rules for UK dogs going abroad ... I'd love to educate him/her though!!! :sneaky:

Our vet is happy to give 3 year vacs but there was a shortage a few years ago and they could only get hold of batches with a 2 year date so we had to have that for one of our dogs, we always make sure they get in the correct 3 year vac now by making the appointment at least a month in advance to allow time to get hold of it in case they don't have any.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
@Minxy Girl
You're probably right.

My opinion was coloured by finding out that the £60 per month treatment my original Vet had prescribed cost me only £60 for three months supply from my new Vet who I found by recommendation.

We had been with the first practice for 18 years, over two dogs. The practice changed hands three years ago and the costs escalated thereafter.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
@Minxy Girl
You're probably right.

My opinion was coloured by finding out that the £60 per month treatment my original Vet had prescribed cost me only £60 for three months supply from my new Vet who I found by recommendation.

We had been with the first practice for 18 years, over two dogs. The practice changed hands three years ago and the costs escalated thereafter.
Sounds similar to our previous vet ... we'd been with them for a long, long time but when a new partner came on board he was money grabbing and kept asking us to think about doing this and that for our dogs which we thought unnecessary. In the end it was a couple of things that made us change practice: first was that the new partner suggest extremely major surgery for one of our dogs because he couldn't find anything to explain the lameness he had (turned out it was Cushings disease) and another dog not long afterwards who wasn't well and turned out to have a heart problem which was spotted immediately by our then new vet ... we'd lost all confidence in them. Had it just only been the costs that had gone up a bit we would have stayed with them as up to the new partner coming in it was a lovely practice and we had great relationships with the staff there but once he got his feet under the table it all changed, the head nurse who'd been with them for many years had had enough so she left, as did 2 of the part-time vets, so it was either stick with them as see the 'incompetent' vet or go elsewhere ... we chose the latter. It was a bit inconvenient as the original vet's practice is just down the road from us and we could walk there in a few mins, and the new one meant a 10 minute car ride, but even if it was a lot longer drive we'd still have changed ... no point in staying for the convenience if your dogs aren't being cared for correctly.

OP
OP
Huwmari

Huwmari

Free Member
Jul 26, 2013
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 201
Exp
since Apr 2013
Thanks to you all for your very helpful replies. We shall now not give another rabies injection until 2019. The vet has also recommended an injection against Leishmaniasis. I'm sure this isn't a legal requirement and could well be another money-making scheme. Has anyone else had experience of this one?

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
You may wish to consider this, it's been doing the rounds on the doggy websites. I haven't investigated the claims, but they sound reasonable.

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
Just in the process this week of getting our dogs passport and the vet spent 10 minutes with us explaining it all.
The jab lasts for three years and as long as you are going to a listed country, the dog does not need a blood test.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Thanks to you all for your very helpful replies. We shall now not give another rabies injection until 2019. The vet has also recommended an injection against Leishmaniasis. I'm sure this isn't a legal requirement and could well be another money-making scheme. Has anyone else had experience of this one?
Hi.
The daughters new Puppy is going to have this Leishmaniasis ? Jab,so will let you know about it. Missed bits of the conversion today,but bits i..Thought i heard (Bit deaf) Dogs don't need to be on a beach to catch it and i think she said something about 10 months,now wether this was the dog had to be 10months old,or it did not give protection for 10 month after the jab,i will find out for sure in the morning.
Tea Bag
I was "Bonding" with Dexter puppy on the floor at the time,in truth,i was trying to stop the little SOD from chewing my ears off!!

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
It is not a legal requirement, however if you are planning to travel to the Med then I would definitely consider it as leishmaniasis is prevalent there. It is caused by sand flies but they are not just found on beaches. One of our dogs had leishmaniasis (we lived in Crete) and he was on medication for the rest of his life. The alternative is scalibor collars or Advantix but some dogs can be allergic to the former.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
Just spoken to the daughter. "10 months ? i THOUGHT i heard ?." NOT about the dog(n) When they had Bertie and Belle done a few years back,the dogs had to be at least 6 months old,had Three injections to start the immunity,and then annualy. She did say it may have changed since then,but as the Dude has pointed out,worth getting done. Best of luck.
Tea Bag

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back