dog with diabetes

Discussion in 'Pets' started by calion, Feb 20, 2015.

1. calion

calion

My little terrier cross rescue dog, Paddy, has just been diagnosed with diabetes. Since 3rd Feb has cost almost £600 in vets bills. What an awful dilemma, we love him, obviously, but he's a dog. Where do you draw the line, moneywise? If he was our child, we would find it somehow, sell the house, or whatever it took, but a little mongrel, with no breeding, or value other than our love for him - have to ask ourselves if we can afford to carry on? He is only young, so we could potentially be shelling out for another 10 years. Am devastated, as our other little rescue dog got a massive tumour and had to be put to sleep prematurely just 10 months ago. I still miss her everyday.

2. big bertha

big bertha Funster

I feel for you, we had a terrier diagnosed with diabetes at 13 so less of a dilemma as we couldn't afford the the injections then, we made the decision to pts. If it was now, the decision would be different.
    What age is your little one and are you thinking of pts or finding a home that can afford to keep up the treatment. As a club I wonder if there is some way we could help you keep your little one, I for one would be willing to help. Sorry if I've spoken out of turn.:(

• Like Like x 1
  3. oldflemo

oldflemo Funster

So sorry to hear of this.I understand your dilemma and empathise with your sadness. We were recently advised that our Jack Terrorist needed to lose weight or he would go the same way as yours has done. Hope you soon come to the right decision both for you and your Paddy.

• Like Like x 1
  4. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

Is the cost mainly drugs or is it for veterinary attention? Our vet advises when drugs can be obtained more cheaply elsewhere and savings can be massive. A few years ago a dog of ours required Metacam. The cost when bought on line was less than 1/3rd that when bought from the vet - same packaging, same company.

• Like Like x 5
  5. calion

calion

Thank you guys. He's only about 4 yrs. Is in the vets for the whole day again today, so they can do a blood glucose test every 2 hrs to try and get the right dose of insulin. No doubt another large bill when I collect him tonight :(

6. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

A dilema but could be far worse.

My dog was at the vets for 3 days for tests Inc a scan and various blood tests......then he had to be put down.

We havent received the bill yet but with the vets services, boarding fee, scan and blood tests then cremation fees on top i expect between £800 and £1000.

And we have nothing to show for the expense.

• Like Like x 1
  7. calion

calion

Thanks tonyidle, will have to investigate further.

8. denisejoe

denisejoe Funster Life Member

We had a mongrel many years ago who was diagnosed with diabetes insipida at the age of 10 months. We couldn't afford the drops he needed on a long term basis and had to make the decision to have him put to sleep as the costs would have increased even more once it became full diabetes.

It was a very difficult decision but we knew we wouldn't be able to afford to keep him. At the time we had 2 young kids and only one wage coming in. I think it was the right decision for us but only you can make the decision in your case and will be a very difficult one to make.

Denise

• Like Like x 2
  9. calion

calion

So sorry Pappajohn, I read about your recent loss. Feel for you.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Bertie Bassett

Bertie Bassett Read Only Funster

#2, 3 and 4 say it all. Pappajohn then highlights the reality. What an awful situation to be in; you have our best wishes and and the hope that you find a way out of your dilemma. Good luck.

• Like Like x 2
  11. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Every day the NHS say to people "sorry, we cannot afford to keep you alive". Why should it be different for your dog ?

• Like Like x 2
  12. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

if you cannot afford to pay for ongoing treatment for a pet there are a few charities out there that offer help. like the PDSA

if the diabetes can be controlled by drugs, as said there are cheaper sources than most vets

• Like Like x 6
  13. calion

calion

I will ask the vet tonight how much she would charge to write a prescription for him, then I can check insulin prices online. The vet charges £15 per cartridge which lasts under a week. Two new needles per day on top of that.

14. Dawn B

Dawn B Funster

Our darling Bandit had problems with her legs, due to arthritis
    most of her life. In the 14 years that we had her she cost us over £10k. A lot of money but it's what we signed up for when we adopted her (we knew nothing of her problems when we got her) The drugs were bought more cheaply online but the vet's charges were sometimes hard to justify

• Like Like x 1
  15. TheBig1

just done a quick check and you can buy canine insulin for £5 a vial online. works out cheaper to buy in bulk though. Based on pig insulin, as its the same chemically

dependant on the size of the dog, they use very little a day. one vial should do a week for a small dog

• Like Like x 4
  16. froggy59

froggy59 Funster

Our cocker spanial is diabetic and has 2 injections per day, the vet told us to use 1 needle per day and the insulin from viovet online works out at£19 a vial that lasts for 3 week. We just put a couple of quid each in a tin and purchase as much as we can. We now have enough insulin and needles to last till September, but it will cost about £130 for the next lot of blood tests.
    good luck with whatever decision you make.

• Like Like x 3
  17. TheBig1

sorry forgot to mention that disposable needles and syringes of the right size are under £5 for 20. again better to buy in bulk

dont forget also that insulin must be kept in date and refrigerated

• Like Like x 5
  18. froggy59

froggy59 Funster

Forgot to mention the above advice myself.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Bertie Bassett

Bertie Bassett Read Only Funster

Nice one B1(y)

• Like Like x 2
  20. Cat53

Cat53 Funster

It's a hard choice. We were paying out over £130 per month for one of our dogs. Gave her another 3 years of happy life, but in the end she decided she had had enough and refused the meds. The vet came out to us and put her to sleep. Would I do it again? For her? Yes. For Max and Phoebe.....will cross that bridge should the time come. Am hoping these two will be fine and healthy for all of their lives. It's a decision to be made only when you have all the facts and figures. Good luck.

• Like Like x 2