Dog transport with bike

Discussion in 'Pets' started by steveclecy, Dec 20, 2011.

1. steveclecy

steveclecy Read Only Funster

Since our Hattie will be coming with us wherever we go Motorhoming, I am looking for a solution to enable us to take her when we go out on the bikes.

Hattie is a Border Terrier and should weigh no more than around 6 kg when fully mature.

Although a young dog and fit enough (more than fit enough!) to keep up with us I don't want her running loose other than on quiet trails and certainly would not want her held by a long lead.

Thinking along the lines of a bike trailer (like this on [ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0046SIIM4/ref=asc_df_B0046SIIM45752731?smid=A16QHM3PHKT0YO&tag=googlecouk06-21&linkCode=asn&creative=22218&creativeASIN=B0046SIIM4"]Amazon[/ame]) which would add to the storage problems but would open up shopping possibilities, or a wicker basket (like one at Halfords - google Basil Wiicker Dog Bike Basket), taking up less storage but still giving us shopping capability. Would definitely need some kind of restraint for the dog, though.

Any Funsters solved their problems with such solutions?

Steve

Had problems setting up the Halfords link.

2. Hayleylulu

Hayleylulu

my wife takes are jack russell in the shopping basket on the front of her bike

3. rob kinnear

rob kinnear Read Only Funster

Hi
    We have a Pom which we take with us and when we are on bikes he sits quite comfy in a whicker basket on handlebars. He is only about 2kilo's and old so he has not got any wish to get out and walk.

Merry Christmas

Rob

4. dellwood33

dellwood33 Read Only Funster

Saw a guy last year touring in France on his motorbike with a papoose affair for his Jack Russel. He had done over 11,00 miles using it & the dog seemed to love it. The dog wore a flying helmet and a pair of "Doggles" as well. :Smile:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  5. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

take a good look at my avatar :Laughing:

6. vwalan

vwalan Funster

might not work if you had a dog the size of bruno. though.
    rest in peace bruno.

• Like Like x 1
  7. bigfoot

bigfoot Funster

8. Hayleylulu

Hayleylulu

get him is own bike:Rofl1::Rofl1:

9. steveclecy

steveclecy Read Only Funster

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Perhaps like the link to Inner Wolf and in particular the nylon carrier for the handlebars.

Problem with the trailer is that they are quite bulky, although I do know they can be dismantled.

Steve

10. Diabalo

Diabalo Funster

Steve

We had the same problem this year with our Cairne Charlie, we went for the Walkybasket by Bice HERE as it folds flat when not on the bike. It did take him a bit of time to get used to it, we just pushed him around for a while then small rides now we go for miles. The ones that tow behind are large and not easy to store.

11. Ralph-n-Bev

Ralph-n-Bev Funster

http://www.innerwolf.co.uk/cycling-bikejoring/doggyride-original-bicycle-trailer-09.html

We had one of these for our 2 Border terriers.
    Well we did untill it got burnt to nothing with £1,000 's of other things , when someone set fire to Ralphs lock up:Angry:
    Anyways , we haven't replaced it as yet. So it shows how much we used it:Rofl1:
    It was brilliant when we went to the IOW when we took the bikes ,and used them daily , but we tend to walk everywhere or get park n rides / taxi's on our trips mostly.
    The wheels come off and it collapses. We stored it on top of the bunk whilst driving and it stayed up once at our destination ( either that or we collapsed it and put it under the MH). Good piece of equipment IMO .
    Dogs were used to being caged so took to it without any problems. Remember a 3 mile bike ride would be a 3 mile run for the dog and 3 miles is no distance to cover at all when on a bike.

We found our Borders too big to steer safely using the baskets on the front . You can pick up second hand dog trailers on ebay. Make sure you get one which has a " double jointed " ( dont know the correct term !) connector. Meaning the bit that attaches to the bike. That way the trailer stays upright if your bike falls over.
    Bev

Last edited: Dec 21, 2011
  12. Red Sonja

Red Sonja Funster

Both Bob and Jane and Diablo have dog carriers on the front of their bicyles for carrying Izzy and Charlie (Izzy is a cross yorkie Poodle and Charlie is a Cairn Terrier).

Im not sure of the make but dogs can be strapped into the carrier and there is also a rain cover. Izzy loves it in there and if it rains there is a rain cover.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1ABrTDoIHs"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1ABrTDoIHs[/ame]

Its similar to these. I see Dane has posted whilst Ive been trying to add the youtube linkie.

Sonja

• Like Like x 1
  13. Welsh girl

Welsh girl Funster Life Member

I used use a front bag for susie to travel in but she used to stand up in it and her eyes used to stream with the wind going in them so bought a collapsible rear bag that straps on to the rear carrier and it has a dog restraint and wool blanket fitted on the floor of it for comfort .It's by friends on tour . thats the make and you can use it as a pet carrier to take pets to the vet as it has a handle on top as well as mesh sides .
    Ps here is the link

http://www.trixie.de/en/prod/Dog_Biker_Bag,12191

I turned ours around so that Susie could see and feel me and wouldn't feel alone on the rear carrier and so not be frightened, she loves it, and her eyes no longer stream from the wind

14. motorhomer

motorhomer Read Only Funster

We had a shoulder bag for our mini schnauzer, bought from a big pet superstore. She loved it, and travelled in the bag across my shoulder when riding, for miles. Attracted lots of attention! She was clipped in so could not get out.

When she got older and couldn't walk far we used this on walks as well.

Sadly she is no longer with us.

15. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

I would think the main difference between the basket or a trailer being the basket is no trouble on cycle ways etc with gates to get through where as the trailer's are not so easy to get through.

16. dellwood33

dellwood33 Read Only Funster

The basket mode of travel will cause problems with the pooch getting it's hair all windblown :Smile: :Rofl1:

17. Tandy

Tandy Funster

18. Newleaf

Newleaf Read Only Funster

Dog Transport

It used to be that I could cycle further than my Chocolate Labrador could run, then it got to about 50/50, now its more like 60/40, but try as I might she won't swop roles!!

Attached Files:

19. jhorsf

jhorsf Read Only Funster

20. slverdreamers

slverdreamers Read Only Funster

dogs on bikes

We saw a lot of buggy trailers in holland with lots of different size dogs, may too much for a little dog, but a small cage on the back luggage rack would be secure and warm
    hope that helps
    regards