Dog Ramps

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by The Dude, Feb 7, 2013.

1. The Dude

The Dude Funster

Husband has decided his back is not up to lifting the dogs in and out of the MH and the dogs aren't up to climbing the steps so we need to buy a dog ramp - does anyone have any recommendations? Heaviest dog is 25 kgs and we need to keep weight of ramp to a minimum. Thank you.

2. alfandM

alfandM Funster

Hi like you our dog bamse is now becoming a pensioner more every day, we try and keep him fit with walks etc, but older age is creeping up quicker, a bit like us,and at 52kgs to answear your question,what we have done we have perchased a good sturdy caravan step and that give's him more faith in climbing in stead of hopping up, so give that a go , so hope it works for you like it does for us, :thumb:

3. DP_JAY

DP_JAY Funster Life Member

4. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

E Bay Here New

Also Here available at ARGOS

one or two second hand also on e-bay
    Geo

5. wiljoy

wiljoy Funster

We sympathise with your problem having been through the same ourselves many years ago. We tried every possibility but no such thing was available in the size and lightness we required so it was down to plan B.
    We visited a local blacksmith/fabricator and explained exactly what we needed. He fabricated some frames out or aluminium and hinged them so that they would store easily. I then made the tops out of 5mm plastic that slotted into the frame. This gave us a folding ramp which measured 5 feet by18". It stowed easily, was light and did the job for over three years.
    Good luck with your search.

6. Piltonian

Piltonian Read Only Funster

I have had a dog ramp from "Solvit" for just over a year, I used it in the car initially but now I've purchased a van, in that as well.

I was lucky - and it was luck rather than foresight - that I bought a van with a relatively wide habitation door. I realised after getting it that the doors on some of the vans I looked at would not have been wide enough to use the ramp, so if you're buying one you may want to check the door width as well as the ramp's dimensions when retracted to fit in a locker.

The one I have would be too heavy duty for you, but I've been very impressed with it. I have a 70kg Great Dane, it's definitely sturdy enough to take his weight and has a grippy surface so he doesn't slip back when he walks up it. It's taken a long time to get him comfortable with using the ramp - now he goes up and down it with no trouble at all, but at first it took considerable coercion, pushing, pulling and cursing to get him to use it. One lesson I took from that is that it's probably best to start a dog with the ramp before it becomes absolutely essential for them.

7. Rob and Val

Rob and Val Funster

Many years ago my saluki dog dislocated his shoulder and found it very difficult to jump into my campervan. I used a wooden pallet to make a ramp for him and that worked perfectly.

8. womblevra

womblevra Read Only Funster

We made ours out of ply and glued non slip matting down one side to give the dog grip and carried bungeed to the cycle rack.
    The hab door stopped him stepping off one side and we stood the other just in case
    :BigGrin:

9. busby

busby Funster

Would it not be cheaper to get new stronger husband! Only joking, BUSBY.

10. The Dude

The Dude Funster

Not ready to trade him in yet - not owned him for very long. Had thought about trading the dogs in for hamsters but thought I might look a bit of a
    !*"$ when taking them out on a lead.