Dog Passport

Discussion in 'Pets' started by ****, Jan 24, 2016.

1. ****

**** Read Only Funster

Anyone got good links to how to go about getting one and how long would it take. Not going away till September.

Cheers

2. mjltigger

mjltigger Funster

• Like Like x 1
  3. Hollyberry

Hollyberry Funster

You just make appointment at vets but make sure you say it's for issue of passport as not all vets can sign them.
    Dog/ cat is then chipped if not already done, rabies jab, passport is issued. No need for blood test now unless you especially want it done. You can go abroad as soon as you like but animal cannot enter UK until 21 days after initial rabies jab.
    Check the dates--- I had a couple of mistakes made in dates over the years. Make sure vet always signs and stamps at each point.
    Ask for a 2 or 3 year rabies jab as this not only saves you money but saves the animal too many injections.

4. ****

**** Read Only Funster

Cheers guys. I have everything but the rabies jab. So how long will the passport last and on the gov site, this page

https://www.gov.uk/take-pet-abroad/pet-passport

It says "marking or identification of animal" I take it that is its chip.

One last thing. I have a Rottie, As she is a large dog do i need a Muzzle for any parts or the EU as Germany has some funny laws about owning large dogs.

5. Spanishsteve

Spanishsteve Funster

I think Spain considers Rotties as a dangerous breed and have imposed certain rules.

the dog be muzzled and be held on a chain or lead no longer than two meters in public places
    If your a resident of Spain you must also get a specific licence.

6. ****

**** Read Only Funster

Thanks Steve but not going that far south. Got to laugh at the dangerous dogs tags. I have a cat that is more vicious than my stupid mutt. Charlie (the cat) so far has sent three people to get a tetanus jab due to being a grump. Yet to get a growl out the dog. Funny thing though, Charlie will never attack a kid. Saying that neither does the dog.

Dog submitting

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  7. Chas17

Chas17 Funster

Classed as a dangerous dog breed in France and has to be muzzled and on lead and has to be in the charge of a person over 18. Not too sure about visitors but has to be registered with Mairie for residents. Try googling "dangerous dog breeds in France"

8. Violet1

Violet1

Just use common sense, on the muzzle .if somebody makes a fuss slip one on, if not show em dogs the life and sole of your family

9. rb62

rb62 Funster

When you get the passport make sure it's the new style with the main page laminated,some vets try to usd up the old stock! well ours did!

10. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

It's 3 weeks for the passport from the rabies Jab day..
    Passport lasts 3 years.

3 is the magic number. .

Only know because off to pick mine up later fir our new pup

11. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

There is no expiry date for the passport. It's the rabies vac that will have a date, usually 3 years as has been said. When you get a booster that is noted in the passport.

Yes, the "marking or identification" is the chip.

One last thing: Be careful of what vac the vet uses and what he charges.

There is no need for a first and second injection or booster after a year. If he tries that ask for a different vac. It should be just one injection that covers the dog for three years. The blood test is only needed if you plan on travelling outside the EU.

I've heard some mad prices paid for this. My vet charged me £46 for each dog for the rabies vac and providing the passport.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels Funster Life Member

For anyone taking their dog out of the EU, e.g To Morooco then you do need to have the blood test done, otherwise you could have trouble when you return to an EU country. If you don't intend to travel outside of Europe then HollyBerry is spot on with this advise.

13. ****

**** Read Only Funster

What about coming home. Do you guys bother about the dog getting treated for tapeworm? I know a lot of people dont bother but do they check? I will be using P&O Hull to Zeebrugge crossing. I have asked my friend in Holland to ask his vet what they charge as i understand it can be done up to 5 days before returning.

14. sdc77

sdc77 Funster

They do check.

15. Yorick

Yorick Funster

I reckon the owner needs muzzling ;)

• Like Like x 1
  16. Hollyberry

Hollyberry Funster

Don't see how you'll get back into uk without this.
    At exit port in France / Holland clerk will print out a sheet and tick off the necessary things --- that passport chip number matches chip in dog, that rabies jab is in date and that worm tablet has been given by a vet who's signed and stamped passport. I never had the "fit to travel" page checked except when mine were flown from Cyprus when they needed a seaparate form form vet.
    If you omit the worming tablet you stand to be refused entry onto train or ferry and have to cough up for another crossing. Wormer must be 24-120 hours before checking so always check vet puts correct time.

Passport is valid until it's full.
    In France you'll find your dog has to be muzzled in a public place and also has to be restrained or contained in a moving vehicle. I've seen the police municipale stop people with unmuzzled dogs that are on the dangerous dogs list ( though that individual dog might not be dangerous)

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. Armytwowheels

Yes to both questions, always get the tape worm tab as the vet has to sign to say they have done it and they do check at the ports. Prices vary, usually cheaper the further away from the port you are. You are right about the 5 days - tablet must be given no later than 24 hrs before travel and no sooner that 5 days.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Armytwowheels

Also dog passports are expensive things when you add up how much it costs to keep them upto date. Why risk invalidating them and maybe having to start again, not worth the risk even if you did managed to get back into the UK without the omission being noticed.

19. Larby

Larby Funster

You may find this useful.
    http://france.angloinfo.com/family/pets/restrictions-on-animals/

You can take a Rottie but you need to keep on a lead and muzzled. My Staffie is mistaken for a Pit bull as they see few Staffies. Luckily they are specifically mentioned as not being dangerous. I keep a copy for the occasional tug by a Gerndarme.
    For return to UK you visit a Vet and get the dog checked, wormed and Passport stamped.
    You must travel not before 24hrs but not more than 120 hrs
    Here is mine ripping a small French child to pieces
    P1050214.JPG

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. bellabee

bellabee Funster

Funny you should say that, I'm having on-going problems with a vet in Shropshire concerning this very issue. They've now issued me with a new passport to replace the old one, which DEFRA informed me to be invalid. Just checking the new passport against DEFRA instructions for vets and find that she hasn't entered the full details of her name and address and SP number, beside the rabies vaccination record. Off back to the vet's first thing tomorrow. We're on the ferry on Friday!
    Very stressful. We've used the same veterinary practice for 35 years, and they're great vets - but when it comes to passports :eek::eek::eek: