Dog Passport and protection from nasties (1 Viewer)

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Thing is Paul you wouldnt know if they had or hadnt 'touched' her for a number of years, its a diesese that doesnt show till its doing its worst as it starts from the inside and by the time the dog takes a mangy look with hair falling off and bald patches to the joints etc - then its too late to do anything

So, How long will it take to effect Nikki then? she looks rather well at the moment TBH? I mean she just came up and smacked me right round the head very hard. It was definitely the slap of someone who was well? :cry:

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I thought sand flies were a problem in the Med areas, and especially in Portugal.

7 years in Cyprus and France and my dogs have had the occasional tick.

Search online for a natural deterrent, I use Rose Getanium Oil against ticks and it works really well. I did notice my vet was pushing tick collars, some new ones at about £30 a go.

Aug 29, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class N & B Flair
Exp
Since 2014
Just for information, there is now an injection which is around 94% successful against Liesh. Probably not available in UK as the fly cannot survive the further north you go, but is VERY prevalent here in Spain. Our dog has the injection, and also we use "X spot" for the summer months when the fly is active, and Frontline for the winter, but will certainly look into Atvantix. The collars also work, but, the treatment needs to be given early enough, and not just during your trip.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
The thing that has put be off the collars is the bad reviews on Amazon. Just about every other review is about a dog having a really bad reaction to the Scalibor collars, horrible sides effects.

OP
OP
Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
How soon before your trip is early enough? Thinking along the lines of Advantix.

I have read that Advantix can be applied on the day of travel and is affective within 20 minutes. You do need a prescription in this country but from what I have read you can get it over the counter in France. Straight to City Europe for us when we come off the Chunnel, find a pharmacist and then off to Brittany.

daisy mae

Free Member
Mar 12, 2013
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C class Coachbuilt
Exp
I`m a newbie, now 1 year
I had a flea collar on my cat until after a while she had no fur where the collar had been, so threw it away,it never grew back, she died recently at the age of 22 years, I never use vet drugs on my dogs, I admit I would never take them on the continent, so we stay in the uk and Eire, my dogs do not get fleas or ticks, I use Neem oil, available on line, I put a drop on their collars and a dab above their tails, also have a spray that I can lightly spray down either side before going through sheep fields etc,

Unbeknown to me the vat gave one of our dogs Metacam, by injection when he had a tooth out, I had told the vet that no way was he to have that, in a short time he was ill, weny srtaight back to complain, all he said was he is a dog just like the other breeds, oh no he isn`t , our dogs are Bearded Collies, Some drugs are highly toxic to that breed, after 7 weeks we are just getting him back to normal we were lucky he could have died. he has now put it on his records.so my advice is do plenty of research before giving drugs to our animals.

Momo

Free Member
Sep 19, 2008
Valencia City, Spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie.
As you know I live permanently in Valencia, Spain, and always use Advantix plus collar as Spain is rife with sandfly, etc. Advantix is available without prescription in Spain and, I believe, in France. They say it takes 2-3 days for the treatment to kick in for Advantix and 4-5 days for the collar. Dogs do not like the smell of the collar when new but they soon adapt! I also give him Program Plus which eliminates all the worms (Round, Heart, Tape, Whip and Hook) some of which are caused by mosquitos, I also have an annual blood test done once the cold weather begins and there are no more mosquitos about - usually November/December - so if there is a problem it is much easier to deal with. You can buy Program Plus, Advantix and Scalibor collars in chemists, pet shops and vets here and also in good department stores such as El Corte Inglés.

The last I heard was that the sandfly is well into France and is racing North! Maybe Yodeli has more up to date information? :thumb:

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Sandfly

We have a holiday home in Burgundy and our local Vet tells us there is no problem with sand fly in that area. However, there isn't much sand either!

My dog is treated regularly with Frontline for fleas and ticks, which is essential. Will look for Avantix now I have heard about it just to be on safe side.

Local Vet charges me 13.20 euros for Pet Passport examination and worm treatment. With the five day window now available for travel it is no longer necessary to visit a Vet near the ferry ports where they know they are onto a good thing.

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
We have a holiday home in Burgundy and our local Vet tells us there is no problem with sand fly in that area. However, there isn't much sand either!

My dog is treated regularly with Frontline for fleas and ticks, which is essential. Will look for Avantix now I have heard about it just to be on safe side.

Local Vet charges me 13.20 euros for Pet Passport examination and worm treatment. With the five day window now available for travel it is no longer necessary to visit a Vet near the ferry ports where they know they are onto a good thing.

Agree about avoiding ferry ports. We had our dog treated in October in Belgium with tapeworm tablets and passport stamped - total cost 9 euros.

OllieUK

Free Member
Jun 23, 2013
Ramsgate
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E520
Exp
Since 2009
If anyone owns a pet they must expect big vets bills, it goes with the territory. Utter Tripe

The simple answer is don't take your pet with you abroad or remain in the UK for holidays.

Vets even charge for putting your pet down, cars and Lorries do it free.

Bahhhhh humbug..

OllieUK

Free Member
Jun 23, 2013
Ramsgate
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E520
Exp
Since 2009
The thing that has put be off the collars is the bad reviews on Amazon. Just about every other review is about a dog having a really bad reaction to the Scalibor collars, horrible sides effects.
I bought 2 of these collars for my 2 dogs before I read any reviews, both dogs did NOT react to the collars so I found them ok. They are a bit pricey at £9.50 each and only last for 6 months.

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
maison / The Dude - do you have the addresses of the Vets you used?

If so, I'll add them to this - http://goo.gl/maps/dGJM

:france::france::france:
Marot
Sorry -mean meaning to do this for weeks. Thanks for reminding me.

Dr Th.-M. Marot
Rue du Levant,13
6990 Hotton
Belgium

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Vets for pet passport

Roryboysdad.

The Vet I use in Burgundy is

Cabinet de Veterinaire
2 Rue Haute de la Gare
BUXY

Telephone number 03.85.92.13.14

Only a little English is spoken but they know the rules governing Pet Passports. Appointments can be made in advance if preferred.

Buxy is near Chalon-sur-Saone which, in turn is about halfway between Dijon and Lyons. Buxy is about 20 minutes off the A6, Junction Chalons Sud.

Camping Moulin de Collonge, St. Boil, is 5kms from Buxy, and there is a very pleasant Aire at St. Gengoux-le-National about 10kms away.

Spanishphil

Free Member
Oct 30, 2013
Costa Blanca, Spain
Funster No
MH
Swift Royal
Exp
Lost our dog to leishmaniasis 2 years ago here on the Costa Blanca, cruel horrible disease. Our other two now have the new inoculation with no bad reaction to it.

Our vet says he has nt seen a case in an inoculated dog since it became available about two years ago. Hes very good and does nt try and sell anything so we believe him, he very much cares only about the animals unlike the UK vets we used. Cost us 110 euros for two dogs and I would certainly recommend it for anyone spending much time in Spain, you can get the dogs done whilst you are here if you have a couple of weeks in the same area. Spanish vets are much cheaper than UK ones ours even does some checks free!

One other thing to be very aware of if in Spain during Feb/March are the processionary caterpillars which are very common where there are pine trees and can kill/maim dogs that interact with them. Dangerous for small children too.

ChrisF

Free Member
Jun 2, 2012
Southwest Crete
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 months
Leishmaniasis is a serious problem

I have recently moved to Crete with my two dogs.

I did some research on Leishmaniasis before leaving and contacted a member of the team which carried out a series of scientific investigations into the threat only recently. The research was carried out in a number of locations and concluded that the disease was more widespread and prevalent than previously. If fact there are few places in the Mediterranean Basin where the disease is not present although the incidence rate varies by location. The disease can also be found in many places outside of Europe.

My research suggested that there is no totally guaranteed protection from the disease however the latest vaccine provides a good level of protection and is the easiest way to avoid infection for long term exposure likely for people living or staying for prolonged periods where the disease is endemic. Otherwise Advantix provides one of the best solutions but at a cost since it requires reapplication every two weeks. You might wish to consider vetshoponline.com Link Removed. I found them to be efficient and cheap and it was not necessary to obtain a prescription from a vet.

Be aware that although K9 Advantix prevents the Sandfly from biting your dog, it does not protect against Heartworm, another prevalent disease. For this you might consider Advocate.

Leishmaniasis does not just affect your pet but can be transferred to you from an infected pet. Protecting your pet from this often fatal disease will also protect you.

The results of the study can be found here:

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Hi Chris,
We lived in Crete for several years and still spend part of the year there travelling overland in our motorhome. One of our dogs (a Cretan rescue) was diagnosed with leishmania earlier this year. He died in September - not of leishmania but I am convinced that the leishmania weakened his immune system and he therefore became susceptible to other illnesses.
You are right to be very concerned about your 2 dogs and I admire you for doing the research and taking the necessary steps.
Hope all goes well for you and your dogs in Crete. As a matter of interest - where are you in Crete and did you take the motorhome with you?

Best wishes
Ann

here

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
We do a bit of 'belt and braces' on Meg.

She has Advocate every month (fleas and worms) and additionally Advantix monthly, but two weeks after Advocate in the summer months and if abroad. Not cheap but ensures she is protected against just about everything. A pity there's nothing similar for humans, we always get a few bites.

ChrisF

Free Member
Jun 2, 2012
Southwest Crete
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 months
Hope all goes well for you and your dogs in Crete. As a matter of interest - where are you in Crete and did you take the motorhome with you?

I'm in the southwest of the island near Paleochora at Grammeno. From my van I have a wonderful view of the Libyan Sea.

I would like to get the dogs vaccinated as I believe this offers better protection as they often go in the sea for a swim. I feel that the Advantix may be affected by frequent exposure to water. I do not know a local vet as yet but would be glad of any advice.

Chris

Volusia

Free Member
Oct 2, 2013
Haute Vienne France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Recent converts from boating
We have never taken any precautions about sandflies with our two. Advantix is brilliant but one of the dogs is allergic to it so we have to use Stronghold for him. For that reason I'm scared to use a collar for him. No probs so far but I feel we ought to do something when we take them to Spain. Might visit a vet there.

We live in France and never been advised that sandfly treatment was necessary! .......Chris

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
I'm in the southwest of the island near Paleochora at Grammeno. From my van I have a wonderful view of the Libyan Sea.

I would like to get the dogs vaccinated as I believe this offers better protection as they often go in the sea for a swim. I feel that the Advantix may be affected by frequent exposure to water. I do not know a local vet as yet but would be glad of any advice.

Chris
When we are in Crete we are in the South East between Ierapetra and Sitia (and also have a wonderful view of the Libyan Sea), so unfortunately I can't advise you on a vet in your area. When our dog was very poorly and our local vets didn't seem to be helping much we took him to a fantastic vet in Heraklion who saved him. If you would like her details please let me know.

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Hi Chris,
Here are the vets details - she is known as Rania.

. Clinics Animal Hospitals&where=Iraklio

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back