Dog Passport and protection from nasties (1 Viewer)

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Well after forking out a small fortune to get the dogs passport today. The vet then said I need to get a special collar for her to protect her against sand flys. I said that we were only going to Brittany did we really need one? Yes she said and that will be another £26 please! :Sad:

What do the other travelling dogs do on here, special sand fly collar or not?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I'd suggest you return it and get your money back! The charge is extortionate to put it mildly:

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/flea-treatments-scalibor-dog-collar-c-3_658/scalibor-collars-for-dogs-p-4746

We've been going abroad for years, and never used one. Whilst I understand sand flies can be a problem in some areas, we've never had an issue with them at all, it might be worth doing some Googling to get the up to date recommendations for Brittany but I suspect that area is one of the least 'risky' areas, as I believe the problem tends to be more persistent in the South of France/mediterranean areas but note that not ALL sand flies are infected with and/or transmit Leishmania

ehuplad

Free Member
Feb 9, 2009
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hobby 600
Exp
Yes always use a collar but no were near that price look online see below

Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Well after forking out a small fortune to get the dogs passport today. The vet then said I need to get a special collar for her to protect her against sand flys. I said that we were only going to Brittany did we really need one? Yes she said and that will be another £26 please! :Sad:

I don't think it is required for the pet passport, but you should get one anyway if going anywhere near the Med. Not sure about Brittany, though. It might not be south enough to require it.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
how do vets get away with their extortionate pricing.

cos we pay it :Doh:

our dog was put on a special diet for pancreatitus.

£72 for a 12kg bag at the vets.

after carefully studying the composition and ingredients we found a similar food at pets at home for £38 per 15kg.

main differences were charcoal content....around 1% more than the vets and slightly less fats...6% against 8% from the vet......fats being the main concern.

the other item was eye drops for the other dog.

£30 from the vet......until i removed the vets label to read...."remove contact lens before use"
now we go to boots and pay around £6

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Cheaper to get the dog put down and buy another one when you get back home:whatthe:
Really am joking, I am a dog lover, had 4 wonderful dogs over the years ( one after each holiday):RollEyes:

Onderweg

Funster
Jul 17, 2008
Vlissingen, Holland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
As of April 2008
Hi
We travel a lot and always have our little doggy with us.

We never use collars, we use drops

ADVANTIX protects against many things including sand flies

Paul and Ineke

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
Totally agree with Paul and Ineke. Our dog had leishmania - we always used to use Frontline on him but this doesn't protect against sand flies. I now use Advantix drops on our other dog. If you read the reviews on Amazon regarding the collars you will see many owners posting to say that their dog/cat had a bad reaction. I really would advise you to use the Advantix drops.

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
thats a ridiculous price for the collar and as far as i know its needed more in spain than france
http://www.vetuk.co.uk/flea-treatments-scalibor-dog-collar-c-3_658/scalibor-collars-for-dogs-p-4746
take yours back to the thieves and get your own from the link above or ebay and dont forget your pill for the dog when you return it must be 24 hrs before travel and no more than 5 days before have fun

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Been going for 20+ years, and not once have I got Nikki a collar, Been to the med and all over France and still the sand flys wont touch her. :wooo:

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Never bothered with collars either, and as to vets charging silly prices, I have to agree. My Brother in Law is a retired vet. Retired at 45 and absolutely loaded
None of it comes my way though.......
Allan

lesleyjean

Free Member
Jun 21, 2008
Funster No
MH
A class
Been going for 20+ years, and not once have I got Nikki a collar, Been to the med and all over France and still the sand flys wont touch her. :wooo:

Paul:roflmto:

You rotter:roflmto::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011

I hope you are in trouble now, or will be when Nikki reads that! Naughty man:Eeek:

As for the collar, I haven't bought it yet as the vet was ordering it in for collection later today. After looking at the reviews on Amazon, where nearly half of them say their dogs had terrible reactions to the collars I will be ringing them at 9am to say I am not buying it. Plus as some have said they are nowhere near the price the vet is asking for.

Thanks for your input folks. Will do a bit of research on advantix. But I am really not sure even this is necessary for Brittany and Normandy.

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
If anyone owns a pet they must expect big vets bills, it goes with the territory.

The simple answer is don't take your pet with you abroad or remain in the UK for holidays.

Vets even charge for putting your pet down, cars and Lorries do it free.

OP
OP
Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Hi
We travel a lot and always have our little doggy with us.

We never use collars, we use drops

ADVANTIX protects against many things including sand flies

Paul and Ineke

This looks like a good alternative. Do you get yours from the vets? I can only find sellers online that need a prescription.

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
If you get on with your vet - you can ask for a prescription for the product you want then VetsUK will provide the product at a vastly reduced price t what the vet wanted for it.

The charge for a written prescription from the vet is around £7 to £10 but that might vary from area to area I suppose

Last edited:

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+

Thing is Paul you wouldnt know if they had or hadnt 'touched' her for a number of years, its a diesese that doesnt show till its doing its worst as it starts from the inside and by the time the dog takes a mangy look with hair falling off and bald patches to the joints etc - then its too late to do anything

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
Not having a pet of any sort I was wondering if these sand flies everyone is talking about will survive in the UK?.

Just a query

OP
OP
Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
If anyone owns a pet they must expect big vets bills, it goes with the territory.

The simple answer is don't take your pet with you abroad or remain in the UK for holidays.

Vets even charge for putting your pet down, cars and Lorries do it free.

No it doesn't go with the territory if you ask questions, which is the reason for this thread. The mark-up on products sold by the vets is shameful. I don't mind paying for their expertise but resent the mark-up.

It is fairly common practice to take your pets aboard but this is the first time for me, hence all the questions.

As for your last comment - not funny!

OP
OP
Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Thing is Paul you wouldnt know if they had or hadnt 'touched' her for a number of years, its a diesese that doesnt show till its doing its worst as it starts from the inside and by the time the dog takes a mangy look with hair falling off and bald patches to the joints etc - then its too late to do anything

:ROFLMAO: you know what the really bad thing is Chatter? - he is talking about his better half, not his dog! Hope she clips him round the ear! :ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011

A – you've been robbed.

B - change to a different Vet.

C - you may need to see this map before you come back to the UK - http://goo.gl/maps/JWjz2

:france::france::france:

Yes, this is a great resource, already downloaded and stored in my camping file. Thanks you for providing this.

Jul 3, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
since 1998
Lived in Spain for a lot years and sandfly fever is a problem there in the south,then moved to France for 6 years never heard of dog getting the disease in the north and our vet never mentioned having to get a collar when we travelled around. I think your vet is trying to get the funds together for their next holiday. :Cool:

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
Advantix not only protects against sand flies but also ticks and fleas and mosquitoes and gives protection for at least 1 month. We pay 9 euros per pipette here in Crete (for a 25 kg dog) and you don't need a prescription - not sure about France. However, better to be safe than sorry.

slverdreamers

Free Member
Nov 22, 2009
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
18yrs
Sandflys - dog collars

We lost a dog to Leishmaliasis back in the 80's not pleasant, plus her litter of pups, but thought it was just on the Med. After our experience I would not take the chance, but think you can get collars cheaper.
Enjoy your trip.
Glynis

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005

This is called the free market,

grumpybob

Free Member
Oct 6, 2010
Somerset
Funster No
MH
American RV
Exp
Free Market

Why do some people have to give non helpful advice to a question that maybe of help to others.Perhaps the shoul get out more.As you say its a free market, so this is my contribution.

D

DM14742

Deleted User
No it doesn't go with the territory if you ask questions, which is the reason for this thread. The mark-up on products sold by the vets is shameful. I don't mind paying for their expertise but resent the mark-up.

It is fairly common practice to take your pets aboard but this is the first time for me, hence all the questions.

As for your last comment - not funny!
Re: The mark up on Pet products I absolutely agree. When my last Labrador went down with arthritis she was put on Rimadyl by the Vet, I happened to look at the price on line (there are a number of on line pet Medicine shops) & found that I could buy it for half the price. All I needed was a prescription letter from the Vet which I emailed to the on line store & they dispatched the tablets to me. The Vets are obligated to give you a letter if you request it.
I would seriously consider it if you have a Pet on long term medication you will save a fortune.:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back