Dog owners beware

Discussion in 'Pets' started by Dawn B, Nov 6, 2013.

1. Dawn B

Dawn B Funster

[​IMG]
    PLEASE KEEP SHARING!!! Absolutely discussed with the caravan and camping club! Spent two days at Sandringham caravan site, no signs and no warnings. We walked ...our dogs only on the site, had to rush two very very sick dogs home this morning both have caught seasonal canine virus. One has had to be put to sleep and one is still very poorly. Rang the campsite to inform them and was then told 'oh yes we have a problem with that at the moment'. I advised them would it not be a good idea to let other people know of this as there were many other dogs at the campsite when we left she replied with 'ermmmm'. Have phoned there head office and was told I'd be called back in 10 minutes and that was 6 hours about. Sweet family. PLEASE SHARE, EVERYONE NEEDS TO SEE THIS BEFORE ANOTHER DOG SUFFERS
    Copied from Facebook

Last edited: Nov 6, 2013
  2. The Dude

The Dude Funster

I am so very sorry to hear about your doggies and feel you have every right to be disgusted and furious with the Sandringham site. I have just been looking up some information about this problem and came across this. They are asking people to fill in a questionnaire if you have visited certain areas including Sandringham estate.

http://www.aht.org.uk/sci

3. Dawn B

Dawn B Funster

This was copied from a facebook share. So not my dogs fortunately but still awful

4. camcondor

camcondor Read Only Funster

There has been a problem with dreadful, often fatal, illness that affects dogs in that area of North Norfolk for ages now - it has been in the news on a few occasions. It seems to fairly local to the Sandringham estate area and adjoining countryside walks and does not go up as far as Holt, Cromer etc.

It is very worrying though. And a disgrace that the CC couldn't be bothered to ensure people were adequately warned. I guess a combination of greed ( don't want cancelled visits to the CC site) and apathy / general incompetence / couldn't care less ( lots of those attitudes about! )

• Like Like x 1
  5. big bertha

big bertha Funster

We visited for a couple of nights in September and there were signs on gates leading to dog walking areas, not huge, A4 size.
    Ignore just reread, it was the cc &c site next door that we were on but it seemed to share a doggy walk.

6. daisy mae

daisy mae Read Only Funster

Thank you so much for the heads up on this, was thinking of going with our three dogs, that is criminal in my book of the CC&C very irresponsible, at that rate they will lose members. So sorry for the owners of the dogs mentioned, it is bad enough losing a family pet, but this way is much worse, when it could have been avoided. They are obviously not the "friendly club there "

7. big bertha

big bertha Funster

I was confused. It was the Caravanning and Camping club site that we WERE on and there was definitely signs up at entrance to dog walks.

8. ourcampersbeentrashed

ourcampersbeentrashed Funster

I hope the person whose dogs suffered such tragedy goes straight to the papers and sues the site.

Sorry but in my personal opinion they have a duty to their customers and if they charge for dogs that includes the dogs too

• Like Like x 1
  9. Janine

Janine Funster Life Member

On the Caravan Club forum someone stated that there is a warning on the Caravan Club booking form for the Sandringham site. They chose to ignore it and their dogs got sick.

There's a link on the Sandringham site info page:
    http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/carava...n-sites-and-parks/SiteDetails.aspx?csid=21997

Scroll down for the review on 28/9/13 . That's where someone says that Seasonal Canine Illness it's mentioned on the booking form.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Dawn B

Dawn B Funster

What as an optional extra?

11. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

Unfortunately this mystery illness is not new or just restricted to that one site at Sandringham:Doh:
    Its here too, every year at this time in most of the Sherwood Forest areas warning go up all over the wooded areas asking you to keep dogs on a lead and away from overgrown areas
    Link to other ares effected and survey too
    G
    Ps read the updates on that page too, possible prevention is described

• Like Like x 1
  12. pinkie

pinkie Funster

Really helpful post - thank you!

I wasn't aware of this illness until now. How dreadful to lose a dog in such circumstances.

13. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

We walk ours there all the time.
    We have nevermet ANYONE from our locality who has ever had a poorly dog as aresult of walking round Sandringham Estate.
    It only ever seems to affect dogs from out of the area. No immunity to local bugs perhaps?

14. jb0371

jb0371 Read Only Funster

took one of my dogs for his booster on monday and there was a dog who was just about to start treatment from the vet and they were staying at sandringham. According to the vets some welfare organisation is researching it but it does seem to only affect out of town dogs, we have taken our dogs there once but tend not to, no point in riskingh it.

The vet reccommeds lost of hydration and take the dog to the vets asap, as the earlier they get to them the better the chances.

15. camcondor

camcondor Read Only Funster

The Animal Health Trust in Newmarket are researching it - I remember a lot of dogs dying in around 2010, when it first appeared- I was working in N Norfolk at the time and worried stiff about our elderly Border Collie. The CC site at Sandringham is usually fully booked when they open bookings for the year, but I won't be going there anytime soon as the dogs are just too precious to us to risk it. There is apparently no treatment, as they don't even know what causes it, and apparently it may happen at any woodland, althugh it seems to be Norfolk, Suffolk and Nottinghamshire primarily affected. Its scary when one has no idea what causes these things. :Eeek:

16. stevensson10

stevensson10

camp sites and dogs

myself and sue go on campsites that dogs and animals are not allowed that way we are assured of being able to go out for walks without treading in dog babber and walking back into our motorhome with nothing but mud on our shoes if that. the other day we was walking round our local park and unbeknown to me I must have walked in some dog babber needless to say it stunk after driving for a while with the heat on if human beings did that there would be an out cry . im sorry about your dogs but the same thing happens to human beings they are only dogs after all and if youd have kept them on your own property this wouldn't have happened when I see dogs walking round our parks it makes me cringe. steve

17. MuddyPuddle

MuddyPuddle Funster

Not wishing to get into a spat here but stevensson10 your attitude is a little too harsh! Maybe you'd also like farmers to keep their livestock and any horses locked in pens just in case you dirty your shiny shoes while your nose in in the air? I'm amazed that you enjoy walks in the country with your small minded and self centred attitude and hope I never have the misfortune of being pitched on a site near you......and just for the record like the vast majority of dog owners I do poop and scoop!

• Like Like x 11
  18. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

here we go again :RollEyes:

An Innocent post warning us dog loving people about the dangers of taking your dog to a specific place, and your worried about dog shit on your shoes :RollEyes:

• Like Like x 6
  19. MuddyPuddle

MuddyPuddle Funster

My heartfelt commiserations dawn B on the loss of your dog, I hope the other one pulls through. I pulled out of a trip to the CC site at Sandringham last year as I'd heard of this issue and am sorry you didn't have the same opportunity.

20. Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels Funster Life Member

Completely inappropriate comment Steve, wrong thread and inconsiderate.

Thanks for posting the warning Dawn

• Like Like x 4