Dog Owners Beware

Discussion in 'Pets' started by Jim, Aug 10, 2013.

  1. Jim

    Jim Ringleader

    Joined:
    Jul 19, 2007
    Messages:
    25,857
    Likes Received:
    76,236
    Location:
    Sutton on Sea
    A timely reminder about Algae poisoning. Just reading in the DT, that at least 24 dogs have died recently from algae poisoning. The recent hot weather has seen masses of the blue/green algae bloom in lakes, ponds and canals. Should your dog drink or cool off in the toxic water, they risk getting very ill and may die within an hour of being in the water.
     
  2. K9Brian

    K9Brian Funster

    Joined:
    Aug 2, 2010
    Messages:
    604
    Likes Received:
    603
    Location:
    South Manchester
    We were at Rutland water a couple of weeks ago with the dogs. Signs around the reservoir were warning dog owners to keep their animals away from the water because of the risk of algae poisoning .
     
  3. TheBig1

    TheBig1 Funster Life Member

    Joined:
    Nov 27, 2011
    Messages:
    7,224
    Likes Received:
    9,608
    Location:
    Dorset
    Its never good losing a treasured pet, but algae poisoning is particularly nasty. very distressing for the owner as it takes hold so quick that sometimes you can struggle to get them to a vets in time for treatment. you will tend to blame yourself too, as it is avoidable with a little knowledge. much the same as nematode worm poisoning when a dog eats infected snails or slugs
     
Loading...
Similar Threads
  1. Mike W
    Replies:
    18
    Views:
    681
  2. Robin McHood
    Replies:
    15
    Views:
    417
  3. TerryL
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    476
  4. irnbru
    Replies:
    14
    Views:
    585
  5. ****
    Replies:
    123
    Views:
    3,603

Share This Page