Dog on board (2 Viewers)

Oct 11, 2016
Bognor Regis
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 69-4
Exp
6 years
Looking at the avatars of posters on this forum it would seem many of you are dog owners. We are shortly picking up our first motor home and have a dog who we want to include in our travels. He has camped with us, been on boats and has coped well. When in the car he is in the boot and is behind a dog guard. However, whenever he gets in the car he sees this as a trip to the woods and displays much excitement ( he's a springer spaniel). Fine in the car as he is contained in a small space.
What are people's experiences in a motor home? We don't want to go down the cage route. We have thought about a harness secured to a fixed point but would welcome any suggestions.
Thanks in advance.
Paul

4maddogs

Free Member
Nov 16, 2010
North Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profilke
Exp
6 months
IMG_1399.JPG

One of my springers......eventually he lies down! He is a very large springer, bigger than many labs. He adores the MH! He has a chest harness and I recline tge seat so he has a bit more room.

You will have a great time together.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi Bognor Saint,
we have a manic cocker, she loves the moho,she sits in her bed that fits between the 2 front seats , 99% of the time she sits or sleeps in it while we travel . the 1 % is usually when we arrive somewhere & some one comes near the moho then she barks & gets very excited as spaniels do .

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
image.jpeg
Our Cocker Seve is totally chilled when in the Motorhome but we decided he needed to be safe Tried harness and both him and out Terrier Murphy are dog houdinis so got them a folding cage each and they are very happy in them.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I've got a 3 year old Springer whose best mate is a 2 year old Cocker. They both consider the MH their own personal seaside transport. They travel in harnesses and seat belt loops and absolutely love it.

Upvote 0

Paul an Jane MK

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2016
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 255
Exp
enjoyed the freedom over the last couple of years but still Wish we could have got away more often
IMG_1805.JPG
When our Moho is moving she stays between the cab seats and won't budge an inch so a harness fixed to a seatbelt mount is not a problem.

Once stationary we have to fight her for the L shaped sofa at the rear.

One of the main reasons we bought our moho so we could get away without having to find dog friendly accommodation or a dog sitter

Upvote 0

Rosemary1

Free Member
Jan 23, 2016
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
1 year
We have two dogs and fasten their harness to a fixed point near the passengers seat belts. We make up the dining area into a small bed and they sit on that - it allows them to streach out and sleep in comfort but they are still safe. We were another one who bought the motorhome to allow the dogs to come with us

Upvote 0

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Failing all this great advice, if you have a towbar you could attach a skateboard to it strap woofs footsies to it and Bob's your uncle , problem solved .dont forget goggles to keep dust from getting in his / her eyes. Lol.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bognor Saint
Oct 11, 2016
Bognor Regis
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 69-4
Exp
6 years
Thanks for all your suggestions. It will be a case of suck it and see.
We do have a towbar but I was going to use it for towing a couple of barrels essential fluid.

Upvote 0

Duck Truck

Free Member
Feb 27, 2015
UP North
Funster No
MH
Hobby 725
Exp
since 2012
we had two labs (only one now)
However in the van they are fitted with harnesses and clipped into a rear seat belt
they travel on there beds on the floor in the lounge area
As the saying goes start as you mean to go on

Last edited:
Upvote 0

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Our seating is not conducive to fitting a seatbelt - and he fights like hell if we try to put a harness on him. So Jamie (a Westie) sleeps quite happily in his cage which fits nicely between the seats just behind the cab so he can see us if he wants. In fact now he gets upset if he isn't in his cage when the van is moving! We just make sure he gets a wee-wee walk as soon as we stop and just before we set off again.

As someone else said, start as you mean to go on.

Upvote 0

Zoppydog

Deceased RIP
Jul 19, 2013
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
Since 2013
View attachment 129452

One of my springers......eventually he lies down! He is a very large springer, bigger than many labs. He adores the MH! He has a chest harness and I recline tge seat so he has a bit more room.

You will have a great time together.
4M That looks like a good harness. What make is it please? We have tried a couple and our mut escaped before I even clipped it onto the seatbelt. We currently use a crate just behind the passenger seats.
Chris

Upvote 0

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
My two used to travel in a collapsible crate tied onto the bunk, but now they travel on the bottom rear bunk and wear a harness each with a seat belt clip attached to a running line. They can move up, down and around the bunk but not get off. :D Unfortunately a recent emergency stop has functionally tested the set up:( and has been assessed as serviceable.;)(y).

Upvote 0

Gillus

Free Member
Jun 15, 2016
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 747
Exp
Our Charlie is also a springer. He loves going away in the MH as he knows there will be some long walking involved at some point. We harness him in the seating behind. He doesn't really like the harness and doesn't relax but as soon as we park up it's all forgotten. Happily sleeps at night in his basket and loves being on look out duty for pheasants in the country side from the MH window :ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0

Zoppydog

Deceased RIP
Jul 19, 2013
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
Since 2013
Our Charlie is also a springer. He loves going away in the MH as he knows there will be some long walking involved at some point. We harness him in the seating behind. He doesn't really like the harness and doesn't relax but as soon as we park up it's all forgotten. Happily sleeps at night in his basket and loves being on look out duty for pheasants in the country side from the MH window :ROFLMAO:
Same with our Springer, Mitzie, I would like to try her with a harness. Which one do you use?
Chris

Upvote 0

Gillus

Free Member
Jun 15, 2016
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 747
Exp
Think it says springer is medium but it is a little tight on him. He's a shorter springer than some.
It gives you a lot of info before you buy
Gill

Upvote 0

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Chest harness for us.. On a lead that is attached to a point near the hab door and JUST long enough to allow him to get to the cab seats but not long enough to allow him to enter the cab or indeed jump up at us..
using that method gives him room to roam, get up on the hab seats ( naughty boy ! Get down ! yerrrrr. right !!!! ) and look out of the windows. Also allows him to get to his grub and water

Upvote 0

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Upvote 0

Stretto Boy

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
We have a Staffie. We use a travel crate in the habitation area and our dog absolutely loves it! So much so that, when we start to erect it, she scrambles to get in it even before we have finished. Our vet told us that dogs like a "cave-like" environment because it makes them feel safe, so we put an old blanket over it to cut out some of the light. Of course dogs, like humans, are all different but all I can say is that we (and more importantly our dog) have had a very good experience with the crate.

Upvote 0

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
We pick our 8 week old Cockerpoo up on Friday 18th Nov, have ordered a soft folding cage to try her in, I've also bought a spare seat belt wire buckle which I intend to fit. Then I can also plug her seat belt harness in separately.
John.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back