Dog Insurance (1 Viewer)

Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
6 years and 20 years as a tugger
Hi
Ins on my dog is due my question is based on all your experience what is the best out there

Thanks
Bill

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
My advice is do what we did - use the usual price comparison sites. You will see that they all have similar types of policy - single claim - multi claim - limit in year - limit in lifetime. Type and gender of dog matter as well. In the end we chose Tesco - as good as the best value AND Clubcard points for the Channel Tunnel! Also we had the benefit of a "free" video camera but unfortunately the offer has now ended.

Steve

goffer

Free Member
Mar 15, 2010
weymouth sunny dorset
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2 but tugged for 10
just taken out policy with pet plan,seems to tick all the essential boxes and covers most of the requirements .:thumb:

tony

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
NFU Llie Policy~dear but was great with My 2 Great Danes who both passed away this year

Whatever policy you go for get LIFE COVER because this way if your dog become expensive to them they can cancel the policy at the end of said year.

FULLMOON

Free Member
Jul 16, 2011
devon
Funster No
MH
FORD/BONGO CONVERSION
Exp
i'm a newbie
My wife is covered on the house insurance :ROFLMAO:

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
if your in either cc or c&cc check them out, ours are with cc who use axa on a life cover so that if they have something that needs meds for the rest of their life it is covered unlike some policies whereby after the first 12mth you would have to pay for meds.
pet plan if i remember right are part of the E&L group (entertainment and leisure)

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Pet Plan are good insofar as you can download and print a claim form off the Net. With Tesco you have to ring them up for a claim and they send it snail mail. Takes ages to settle a claim.

Lots of factors affect quotes i.e. age/type of dog, medical history etc. With almost all insurers the premium increases with the dogs age plus any claims you may have made. :Sad:

A neighbour of ours uses http://www.buddies.co.uk/ and he says they are very good. :thumb:

the stig

Funster
Oct 10, 2009
Grimsby
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Since 2009
We use Tesco, we did change a couple of years ago as Tesco appeared to be getting dear, however Ins Co we changed to had too many hidden clauses. To our cost, we found this out the hard way. A £450 claim ended up costing us 300.00 plus to pay ourselves. Stupid mistake we will not make again, sorry can not rememb ame of Ins Co, will ask Jeff then re-post so you know who to avoid. Ended up going back to Tesco. But have to say, when it's time to renew, then leave them and join again, far better quotes. strange but true. As they don't appea to recognise loyalty in this part of their portfolio.

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Wow thats some clever dogs you lot have

Mine cant drive :Eeek:

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
I would say Pet Plan is definitely the best but very expensive. We are with More Than and they seem to be good. Our daughter's dog, Phoebe, had a load of ops on her knees totalling £8,000 and there was no problem with More Than at all. ::bigsmile:

Ivy

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
My advice would be too check with your Vet before you complete on a policy. They (if there good and honest) will not recommend a policy to you, but will, tell you if you might take out a duff one.
When we first got Tara we went to the Vet and he asked about insurance, when we told him which one we had, he rolled his eyes and informed us it wasn't good.
When I then checked on line, there were loads of complaints. We immediately cancelled and are now with Sainsbury''s having been with Tesco last year and NFU the year before that.

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Whatever you do dont use Halifax, I insured Susie when she was 3 years old but when she was 8 they wouldnt insure her any more so I took out a policy with Halifax and they assured me the policy would last until her death which could be 20 years old bring a yorkie and they assured me that they would continue to insure her... well we have now been informed that they as a company will no longer be insuring animals so we will have to find another insurer, but at the age of 14 and with pre-existing conditions there is no chance that any other insurer will insure her, so we have to pay any bills that arise now ourselves.
She hasnt been given long to live due to congestive heart failure and has an enlarged heart and is on duretics and the drug Vetmedin , not that we begrudge paying to keep her alive but just saying that I feel very cross that they have been able to do this to us after paying insurance for 11 years.
We have been buying the meds cheaper on the internet as due to her age the excess is £100 and and can only claim 15% of the total vets bills so usually find it cheaper to do that as the premiums have risen so much over the years:Mad:

Daisy21

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2007
Always used PetPlan and very impressed. Always settled claims promptly without any issues. Definitely look for life cover policy, but also look at cancellation terms. I believe some of them will not give you a pro-rated refund, or will still expect payment of balance on monthly plan, if you cancel part way through a year (for example in very sad situation of a pet's passing). But my wonderful hound passed away nearly 2 years ago now, so things could have changed.

Daisy2

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back