Dog insurance---its a minefield (1 Viewer)

geoff1947

Free Member
May 20, 2008
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
10 yrs
Just had Kobi (ShihTzu cross Yorkie) chipped today and passport issued Now looking for a good insurance that will cover him in Europe--France and Spain mostly Have looked at Pet Plan, SAGA and TESCO and now having a look at Sainsbury's policy Can any of you seasoned travels advise pse as its a minefield:Doh:

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
have a look at ARGOS ... yes Argos;

watch also some put a limit on numberr of days away in small print.:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
PS;;;; have dog currently with Tesco but not the cheapest have just movewd the cats to Argos:RollEyes:

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
if you are with either the cc or the c&cc they give a good price, had our greyhound with the cc for the last 3 years now moved from petplan to it,cc pet insurance is with axa. We have the 'for life' cover just incase there is ever a time when she needs daily meds for a heart condition or such. Years ago we used the ordinary plans which when our dog needed tablets daily for a heart condition was fine for the first 12mth but then the insurance will not cover it and those tablets are expensive we carried on for the next 6 years buying them - now will only use a for life policy as that covers the continued medication

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
I thought you meant

Broken Link Removed

Broken Link Removed

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Do not believe in pet insurance and have not used since we took on a dog that was too old or so we were told.
Since then at least 15 years ago we have invested the amount of the premiums in an account, and used as required, only drawing as an insurance would have allowed.
We have found this has worked very well despite having to pay a bill for Royal Coll. of Vets. for £7500 for one dog, and we still have money left in their account.
Not saying that you should follow but shows it can be done without giving an insurance company a load of profit.

slverdreamers

Free Member
Nov 22, 2009
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
18yrs
pet insurance

We are with Pets at home very competitive and cover Europe for life time cover for an illness it cost us approx £12 per month, which seems fairly competitive. We also like the vet there as he seems very competent and took the trouble to ring me back with a pet passport query.
regards

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
£12 / month is very competeive for european cover...:thumb::thumb::thumb:

May 8, 2010
South Wales
Funster No
MH
RollerTeam T-Line785
Exp
since 2009
Our dogs are with the Caravan Club. Moved them from E&L who were a nightmare to deal with, never paid out on claims and were expensive. Look at who underwrites the policy and avoid E and Hell if you can. I have known other people who have had negative experiences with them too. It can be the same with all insurers but been stung once to often by these guys.

Mar 29, 2010
Hebden Bridge
Funster No
MH
Moto Trek Xcite EB
Exp
Since Sept 2011
http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/insurance/cut-pet-insurance-costs
Is a good place to start.

We insure ours as much for 3rd party cover as vets bills, usually the excess makes claims pointless unless they are big claims and any claim puts up your future premiums. It is however a bit of a safety blanket in case you get an exceptional bill.

My feeling is that if your dog is off the lead and runs out into the road and a car swerves to avoid it and someone gets killed then at least I don't have to worry about the costs, that's not to say I wouldn't have other worries :Blush:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Meg is currently insured with PetPlan and we have already made a claim (chocolate poisoning - she nicked it) Her other problems have been below the excess.

She does have an account (Named 'Bone account' HSBC :Smile:) and our view was we might not insure after the first year, always a difficult time.

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
just looked at pets at home insurance, I have older dogs and if im paying insurance for cover i do not expect to have to pay the excess of £75 plus 15% of the cost of the treatment just because the dog is older than 6 years and the price quoted was well above the other posters price.

One of my dogs had MRI scanning that cost over £3000 so if with them the price of treatment would of been the £75 plus a further £450. I just wonder how many people who have their dogs insured as protection against a big bill could afford to pay such supplementary amounts especially in the present financial climate

As dogs get older the policy prices rise and for years many people make no claims on their pet insurance, I think if i had a youngster i also would put a set amount into a separate account as it is usually in later years that real/long term illness strikes dogs, although accidents happen anytime

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
we stopped paying for insurance as well

Do not believe in pet insurance and have not used since we took on a dog that was too old or so we were told.
Since then at least 15 years ago we have invested the amount of the premiums in an account, and used as required, only drawing as an insurance would have allowed.
We have found this has worked very well despite having to pay a bill for Royal Coll. of Vets. for £7500 for one dog, and we still have money left in their account.
Not saying that you should follow but shows it can be done without giving an insurance company a load of profit.

When we first had Ezzie (nearly 6 years ago) we had Norwich Union... £21 a month and £50 excess plus 10% of bill.... had to have two ops on her shoulders.. £2k then the renewal went up to £25... the next year despite no claims it went to £65 a month still with the £50 excess and 10%... cost more to insure Ezzie than the RV... we now self insure and pay the vet ourselves.. I am also happy doing this.

Bob

OP
OP
geoff1947

geoff1947

Free Member
May 20, 2008
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
10 yrs
many thanks

Interesting thread and thanks for your views At first I thought I'd go with TESCO but they only cover our dog for 30 days out off the UK So looking/spoke to SAGA & they cover him for as long as we are out off the country and monthly premium is £8.81 Happy with that :thumb::thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back