Dog food for extended European trip (1 Viewer)

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
I certainty appreciate what you mean. We've tried dozens of things but we find she's really good on a rice base, then just add chicken or fish. When we've put small amounts of dog food in , she becomes loose for a nicer word to say but when in France, we would cook chicken or fish, boil in the bag rice, sometimes vegetables as well and she was more than happy and never had an accident. Really fussy eater and we also tried the 'she'll eat when she's hungry' thing too.

Stagman

Free Member
Aug 19, 2015
North Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3yrs
Tried the 50/50 - still got the upset tummy :(

I'd much prefer to feed dried food but hubby feels dogs should have meat. I don't think Milo would care, to be honest, and it would be a whole lot easier.

Karen
Try Canagan or other high protein dried food. Expensive but they need less of it. Our dog thrives on it and he easily gets an upset tummy. He cannot eat tinned dog food. Vet very impressed with his condition and coat.
You can get it from pets corner in those big wyevale garden centres. Look at Canagans website for your nearest stockist. Our boy is a fussy so and so but he does like it.
He is collie/lab sized and a 6kg sack lasts months!

Kim H

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 24, 2011
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
Since 2011
I'm a firm believer in feeding dogs on good quality food. Most supermarket brands are bulked with fillers that are grain based and dogs struggle to digest, or worse still, colours to make them look nice for humans. Good quality doesn't need to be expensive, you feed less because it doesn't contain things dogs don't need. When we go abroad, we take all our dog food with us, if it's a 3 month trip, it's 3 bags, however, that depletes over the course of the trip and we refill the payload with wine lol. As I said before, we add sardines, vegetables, fruit etc to their diet at home and abroad, but I'll always take my own dried food as I know it suits and it's good quality.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Ours have dried food. I wouldn't dream of giving them cheap supermarket food though. All you have to do is compare some to a good brand and you can see why. I give them Eukanuba which they seem to like and doesn't cause problems. Initially it was because that's what the breeder started one of the pups on so I stuck with it for that dog and changed the other one to it. If you buy from the right place it's not really any more expensive than any other type.

Dec 29, 2007
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1996
We also take our own dried food. As the food goes down we can take more wine on board ;) Also if you find a suitable alternative abroad do introduce it slowly over several days otherwise expect bowel issues. We wouldn't buy from a supermarket due to cereal, grain. Have bought from a vet a long time ago.

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
My two are on Autarky. Supplied through Amazon subscription it works out £4:00 less than buying it in the shops. I have just decanted 15kg into separate bags for the three weeks away. Same weight as carting the normal bag, but only half the size. Laborious job though but space saving. I have the 45kg payload for 3 months and decanted certainly have the space.

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
A lot of crap is put in tinned food and would never feed our dogs with it .I would recommend SPECIFIC its a dry food can be purchased for over weight,underweight and shall we say normal.You feed the same amount each day but you purchase the the bag that suites your need we started with the one for overweight and then when the weight was reduced we changed to the standard.
Originally recommended and sold to us by our vet needles to say it was over priced for a 13kg bag but turned out to be an excellent balanced food.We now buy it on line direct delivered ,its about £52 not having the paperwork to hand .The dogs love it ,never have stomach problems lol.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
A little while ago I had to buy a small bag of Eukanuba from the local Jollyes because of a technical hitch with my regular order (I had forgotten to order it :doh:)

The girl at the checkout must have been new as she was very eager to help. With my receipt she excitedly gave me a voucher for £10 off of one of the bigger bags and even more excitedly told me that it was on offer (20% off. IIRC) this weekend as well.

I wandered back to have a look and then didn't like to tell the poor girl that even with the 20% off plus the extra tenner off it was still more expensive than where I usually buy it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back