dog doesn't like trailer on bike (1 Viewer)

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
@camperlove we bought a doggy hut trailer off amazon, the medium size fits both my two cairn terriers. Cost about £65. Wheels come off and it goes flat for storage. We fasten ours between the 2 bikes on the bike rack using bungee lines. Really pleased with it and we do use it on roads as well as bike tracks. I've got a full set of lights and it ca me with a flag. Both the dogs love it and it means we can go out for longer than if they were walking.

camperlove

Free Member
Nov 30, 2015
kent
Funster No
MH
fiat ducato mwb
Exp
17 years
I can't do links bit have a look on Amazon, there's quite a few on there, some with Westies in them.
Thanks for that I will have a look . I didn't look before because I honestly thought him too big for a basket.

OP
OP
Lizi
May 19, 2015
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
6 years
Thank you for the ideas. We have set it up without the wheels in the room he sleeps in and getting him to go in snd out while getting a treat for it. We Will try him in the garden tomorrow with wheels and go from there. I would like nothing more than to let him run alongside us but it would be too dangerous for him and every other road user! He is off like a rocket when released - he always comes back but just goes a long way first!
He will sit quietly in the motorhome for a bit when we go out. This was fine in chilly Scotland but I would worry about him over heating in Europe in summer and i imagine we will not want to move the motorhome every day - hence the bikes. We will keep at it and hope for the best.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 11, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2013
@Lizi
Have you tried a gnawing treat like a deer antler or a stuffed kong that he only gets to keep if he stays, clipped maybe zipped, in the trailer? Building up the time so he doesn't freak out.
What size trailer did you get? Can he lie down in it? I'm interested to know if you succeed as thinking of getting one for same reasons. At the moment though I can't imagine ours taking to it at all :(

Karen

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
I am hoping @canopus sees this post. It's lovely to see Jess going for a ride. Maybe they know a few tips.. although they probably just tie her ball inside it. :)

camperlove

Free Member
Nov 30, 2015
kent
Funster No
MH
fiat ducato mwb
Exp
17 years
My dog definately too big for basket. I see there is a trolley which can also convert to hook on the back of a bike . Dual purpose. I like that idea

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Haven't read the other posts only the first one and the prompt from Joy (Movan). I think you are doing the right thing with familiarising the dog and offering treats. However, the one thing you must buy is a harness. If your dog trailer is like ours (Trixie) its should have an anchor ring on the floor inside the trailer which connects to the dog via the harness. By using a harness the dog can't jump out so easily. Keep the front and rear zip mesh openings closed and just allow enough room for the the dogs head out of the top. Try wheeling the trolley round by hand slowly before attaching to the bike and then short rides in familiar territory and praise and reward the dog each time.

Our dog Jess was just the same initially but now she will go into the trailer willingly. If we are on a cycle trail we often let her run free until she's tired and then trailer her back. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Vic

Aug 1, 2010
Funster No
We have a Doggy hut. It assembles without the need for tools and folds almost flat. There is a version that can be used as a pusher as well. Basic one is £70 ish from Germany via e bay. Recommended. Our dog loves it and has to be forced put. Mind you, he was used to be taken on a motorcycle when we were a bit younger.

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
If you persevere with a trailer I'm sure your dog will get used to it. We also put our dogs blanket on the base which makes it more comfortable but also more familiar.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
We have bought a trailer for the bike to put our dog in but he won't go in! When we did get him in and attached him with a lead, he jumped out and was hanging out of the trailer. Clearly he doesn't like it. We have now taken wheels off and leaving it in the room he sleeps in next to the kitchen and coaxing him in with bit of cheese etc. The question is, will we ever get him in it with the wheels on and attached to the bike? Has anyone else had to train their dog up to use the trailer? Any tips most welcome. We go away next week and were hoping to use this rather than leave him in the motorhome. He is 2 and a half and a working cocker spaniel.

Mine always ran along side on a lead. Were still doing it well into their teens,,kept them fit,,,BUSBY...

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
We had the trailer set up in the conservatory for a few months..
Left both ends open and played games where he had to go right through it.
Eventually put the wheels on so it rocked from end to end as he went through
All good..
Put his bed in it and YES ! He jumped straight in it ( though sometimes would not play and pulled the bed out ! )

So after weeks and months of 'training' the big tester..
Wheeled him around in the thing.. NOT a happy bunny at all .. We will keep trying though.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back