Dog dies on Ferry

Discussion in 'Pets' started by Tweedie, Jan 21, 2016.

1. Tweedie

Tweedie Funster

Just watched Rip Off Britain (Holiday Rip Offs). They covered a story about a family returning from Germany back to the UK after finishing their posting. They had 3 dogs with them one of them being a black Pug. They had left windows open in car (large Estate/MPV type) for ventilation and water for the dogs; during the 90ish minute crossing which the programme did say was on the hottest day of the year the Pug suffered heat stroke and was found dead in their car when they came to disembark. Other passengers & staff assisted them and tried to revive the dog, dousing it with water and even CPR etc. but to no avail, the poor little dog died. I thought this was a very upsetting, especially as it was such a short crossing, don't know what I would do if this happened to our little fella. P&O did say that there was approx 150 dogs on that particular crossing and this was the only incident that had been reported. I know that pugs can be prone to breathing type issues so suspect this might have contributed to the incident but even so how sad for the family.

What steps do you taken when you have to leave your dog in MoHo on a Ferry especially in hot weather, we are due to do our first ferry crossing with Tweed (Portsmouth - Caen) in April. Is it best to leave skylights & windows open for ventilation, was thinking of getting some window vents for cab. :(

2. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

There shouldn't be any risk in April. But bedding which doesn't enclose the dog will help ventilation, just a blanket folded over not a foam dog bed like one of these:[​IMG]

Which provides insulation under and around the dog, the last thing you want in hot weather.

An Endless Breeze fan secured so it blows air onto the dog would be perfect, we use one when travelling in hot places.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

Simplest solution of all. Never use ferries.

This is yet another reason to use the tunnel every time (y)

• Like Like x 8
  4. Milliemobile

Milliemobile Funster

We only use the tunnel now with ours as our choice, but I know we didn't have a choice when travelling to and from overseas postings as your transport is booked for you, we had to use ferry but fortunately not on really hot days.
    It must have been horrible for the family.
    Maybe it's time for the ferry companies to relax the rules and on exceptional hot days allow pets to be brought out of vehicles and allowed on deck.

Lin

• Like Like x 1
  5. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

No precautions needed other than the spillproof bowl of water which stays on the floor even when we are travelling.
    A motorhome can't be compared to a packed car.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Badknee

Badknee Funster

Oh dear, very sad. As has been said due to over breeding and Kennel Club rules on them the poor little chaps can't get enough air in their lungs as it is. Ventilation, ventilation, ventilation is the key. There was a thread on here this week that said one of the ferry companies with crappy kennels has had a total revamp and now their very modern, clean and have air con. Pity the poor chap wasn't in one.:cry:

7. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

I saw the program, the dogs owners were disappointingly quick to blame P+O, they thought the fee they paid to carry them should cover regular checks on car by P+O, I don't think so, my thought is the 'fee' goes towards the admin they must have providing the passport checks, but I might be wrong

Sad tale, but possibly the dog was poorly, their other 2 dogs in same car did not seem to suffer

But as said, a motorhome is a totally different beast to a car, but we also use the tunnel to remove all doubt

• Like Like x 3
  8. Zigisla

Zigisla Funster

Although I have not had my dogs in the MH during Hot Weather, I do have a heater outlet in the Rear Bunk area were the dogs live and travel and the ability to use the fan for re-circ only and blow cooler air around them. Maybe this will work, but I've not tried it yet.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. NickNic

It might work but it wouldn't do your leisure batteries a lot of good, especially on a longer crossing.

10. Zigisla

Zigisla Funster

Would it not be the same as having the heating fan on all the time. I have had the heating on for 3 days with no effect on the batteries. Does coolling work the fan harder?

11. NickNic

It wouldn't have had no effect on the batteries unless you were on EHU. Using it for 30 seconds would have some effect.

Was it 3 days off grid without starting the engine? What set up do you have - what heating system, how much battery capacity, how much solar - remember this won't be doing anything on the car deck of a ferry.

The fan wouldn't be working harder but it would be working longer - it wouldn't be running constantly when using the heating.

With details of your heating system and batteries it's simple enough to work out how long you could run it for without knackering the batteries.

12. treetops1

treetops1 Funster

Tend to think the dog got trapped under the seat and the problem started there.Very sad but i tend to think that was part of the problem. We have being backwards and forwards on the ferry many times with our two dogs and the cat and never had a problem even in the hottest weather but they always travel in a cage for safety .H

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. gus-lopez

gus-lopez Funster

A motorhome is nsulated but a car isn't. I wouldn't leave mine in the car as the temperature climbs astronomically in no time. I wouldn't even sit in mine without the windows open or the AC running on a sunny day .

• Like Like x 1
  14. BFM14

BFM14 Funster

I am finding it hard to understand what Rip off Britain (holiday) has got to do with a dog dying on board a ferry when they are not on holiday but a family returning from a posting abroad. Why did the family write to Rip Off Britain unless they thought that somehow P and O had done something wrong? Basically it is their responsibility to look after their animals, is it not?

• Like Like x 6
  15. Hollyberry

Hollyberry Funster

depends how tightly packed their cars were, space available to the dogs and how much they could move. Car decks are out of direct suNight so would depend on air temperature too. I always think the car decks seem quite cool with a definite air flow.

16. parknride

parknride Funster

We went Portsmouth Caen, just go to reception and request pet visits. No problem with our cat and the staff were more than helpful.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Larby

Larby Funster

My Staffie travels on ferry with no trouble. Can roam about MH, roof vent opened and water available. He is usually curled up asleep when we return.

• Like Like x 2
  18. hymermick

hymermick Funster

Simple solution ban Dogs from all Ferries and the Tunnel.

19. alfandM

alfandM Funster

:eek: more care taken, when we were on the sea with our bamse I would go with one of the crew and check on him every 2 or 3 hours No problem you would not leave a child alone,but real sad for the owner's.

20. jockaneezer

jockaneezer Funster

Hee hee, you forgot your :reel: