Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
One thing that no one has mentioned Dave:Sad:

The bigger the Dog:Sad: The bigger the "Poo Patrol"

Small Dog, Small legs:thumb: Walkies:thumb: We 've had 2 Beagle Crosses (half Crocodile half Spider!!!") a German Shepard and a Border Collie/ Shetland Collie Cross all bar one We got from the pound.

Rescue Dog? way to go!:thumb:

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
Come to Portugal,get up around the Estrella mountains and get an Estrella dog. These dogs are fireproof,so laid back,you have to drive around them if they decide to sleep in the road.In the local town,one appears when there is a meat wagon delivering to the butchers,settles down in the road behind the lorry and watches every carcass carried in,priceless.
Big,cuddly,USELESS,articles,but,if i were younger,would have one tomorrow,exercise ?..."You cannot be serious !!":thumb:
Tea Bag

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Right, I need some help.

I was thinking of getting a Berger Picard, but having seen three it was decided that they were unsuitable - just too big.

So what can I have?

Looking for a medium sized dog, not a show dog, nothing that is pretty, I like sort of ugly scruffy dogs. Low maintanance, likes to travel, likes water, will chill out, not a run of the mill dog, something with character.

Any suggestions?

Having been without a dog for 18 months, after 26 years with them, we decided to get another dog to share our MH travels.

Requirements :- not too big, good temprament, about two years old (ie fully grown).

Visited our local Dog's Trust but no adult dogs suitable for one reason or another. About to leave when asked to view a litter of puppies. Ended up with a German Sheperd/Border Collie cross. Small she aint, but good natured, obedient and a joy to have. Now 7 years old she has travelled everywhere with us. Makes an excellent burlgar deterrent as she looks and sounds fierce, but is really a great big softie, totally non-agressive.

Ah well, so much for the original requirements but wouldn't change her for the world. :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

att

Free Member
Jul 17, 2013
Lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Brand Spanking Newbie
We have a Rhodesian Ridgeback Dog.
I spent a fair old while doing research on dogs, as we wanted a dog that would fit in with our new life (retired but active).

We are so pleased with how he has matured(2.5 years old) that we are going to breed from him next year, he is a lovely dog and so like everything I had read of them.....I look forward to a couple of them next year:thumb:
May need to get a bigger MH though:whatthe:

Oct 29, 2013
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
1 year motorhomer after 21 years caravanning
+1 for Labs. I'd always go for GSD's but they are too big for many. The Lab would be a great compromise for me. Proper dogs. ::bigsmile: Years ago I had some experience with training labs to detect mines, they were superb dogs, very intelligent, lots of fun. A couple of chocolate ones I remember were super intelligent.

+ another 1 for labs - our choc lab Toby is now 3 years old, my retirement gift to me, and took to initially caravanning and now motorhoming like a duck to water. A great temperament, loving , fun filled intelligent friend I'd never be without. Train properly from the start and the joy you'll get will be amazing. :thumb:

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Elvis, our rescue dog :Smile:

21882d1387385307-dog-choice-elvis_1.jpg

Attachments

• elvis_1.jpg
    elvis_1.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 366

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Right, I need some help.

I was thinking of getting a Berger Picard, but having seen three it was decided that they were unsuitable - just too big.

So what can I have?

Looking for a medium sized dog, not a show dog, nothing that is pretty, I like sort of ugly scruffy dogs. Low maintanance, likes to travel, likes water, will chill out, not a run of the mill dog, something with character.

Any suggestions?

Bit late on this but a rescue mutt? Our last fox terrier cross was the dog who was clearly a tramp in a previous life. Scruffy, bearded, moustache, the worlds longest eyebrows and even hairs coming out of his ears.......... Who said that dogs look like their owners? He was mega cute and very much liked laps and sleeping with the cats....... Under the dog bed!

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008

We expect the usual January rush..........

Got an early one. 8 month old Rottie pup. Gorgeous dog but the owners "didn't realise how big it was going to get" some people don't deserve to breed themselves, let alone dogs...........

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Sorry don`t agree with the last post, we have had 6 rescues, all were brilliant except the last one, if he had been the first wouldn`t have had any more rescues, so now will only take on puppies, of a certain breed, unless a rescue came along that we knew the history of. We wouldn`t part with him as we took him on,our responsibility, if only we had known. hind site is a marvellous thing.

Dave, hope you find your forever friend soon, when you do, you may find that you wish you had, had one earlier.Good luck.

I thought that but as you say above, we research rescues very carefully and fortunate enough to foster a lot of them so we really know the dog when passing it on to the new home, or in fact keeping it, as has happened......err once or twice before....... Current permanent resident is Jake a mad working cocker. Utter oaf, but a nice dog (fox poo rolling excepted!)

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Now aint that a fact.
Personally I would go for a working bred English Springer Spaniel, medium sized, lively, intelligent, biddable, affectionate and quiet, mostly good travellers, but then I am biased.

We had a working springer...... Hard work stopping her from being bored but gave 13 years of rather interesting companionship. Never a dull moment, that was for sure.

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Now he's one typical spaniel,,,, I bet you can't go past a brook or river without him diving in, whatever the weather.
:thumb:

Trikeman. :winky:
Just the opposite. Don't like water ::bigsmile:

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Love spaniels - they are the worlds most enthusiastic dogs (says the biased spaniel owner.....)

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Anyone looking for a decent dog - look on the interweb for the local rescue place. Don't just look at the RSPCA etc etc - there are loads of private and well deserving charities out there and they tend to take the perfectly good dogs that the bigger places can't be bothered to rehome.

Check it out and check out the dog as well; to my knowledge nobody will try and palm off an unsuitable dog on anyone - we don't want them back, for a start, but do want a good and loving home. Anyone want a 14 month old boxer/staffie cross? Look on www.sesaw.co.uk and search out "Pebbles" - lovely dog.

For a suitable bribe you can have Jake the cocker as well (only joking.... We love him)

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Hmmm! I suppose if we did decide to get another dog, we would probably get another Border Collie. They just want to please their owners! We got so much love from Toby, but we have been tempted in the 3 three years since we had to have him put down and decided against it.

Apart from dogs being a tie, I think it would limit our freedom and that's just not fair on the dog. Which leaves us with a bit of a dilemma, I don't really want to do through the rest of my life without having another dog........I'm off again:Sad:

Margaret
p.s. But BC's need a lot of exercise and stimulation, given that they are bred to work. Just a thought.....

Last edited:

Bebe

Free Member
May 22, 2013
Spain/East Yorkshire, Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2001
Our lovely girl Amber died two weeks ago, aged 12. She was a beautiful English Pointer and loved to be with us. She loved the motorhome when she was younger and travelled Europe constantly before we settled in Spain. Wherever we went she settled as long as she was with us. We feel like we have lost the best friend we have ever had. My husband has lost his "girl", I have lost my most loyal best friend and the little ones have lost their doggy sister. They even thought she could drive the motorhome because we had taken a pic of her when she was young, sat in the driving seat with her paws on the steering wheel. We confirmed she had passed her test.

So can we replace her ... No not yet. There will never be another like her. Three quarter human, could speak doggy talk as our youngest son taught her to say sausages at an early age, those all knowing eyes and the ability to guard us without question. She enjoyed jet skiing, motor-homing, listening to us when singing, the children playing violin and dancing with us to the latest music. Ability and a brain so human, she was unbelievable.

Ask us in a year's time if we will have another, because she was the heart and soul of our home ... It is so empty without her. Maybe in time another puppy will take us on and capture our hearts.

OP
OP
ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Spoke to a friend yesterday and he is a dog show judge and works for the Guide Dogs, he is of the opinion that a border terrier would suit me, spoke to a breeder (no puppies at the moment) and the price for a puppy is ÂŁ600...

Link Removed

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back