Jun 19, 2011
Aberdeen, Scotland
Funster No
MH
C class coachbuilt
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi I'm a Newbie to motorhoming.
I compete in dog agility in Scotland...will be able to travel down to England next year now that we have 'The rat terrier home on wheels'. ::bigsmile: I have two rat terriers from Texas USA. Thor is a mini (11 5/8" and 9 lbs) 7 1/2 yrs old and Burns is a standard, not sure on his exact height he competes in the medium class, 18 lbs and 2 yrs old. As far as I know they are the only two rat terriers in the UK and competing in agility.

Currently I have one crate on the dinette seat with the table pushed against it. The smaller dog, Thor, rides in a basket seat as Co pilot. I want to strap the crates to the lounge seat but not sure how to do it. Anyone do this before and have suggestions?

I had hoped the rat boys could drive on our trips, then I could nap in the back but they keep fighting over who is steering and who is working the pedals. Guess they will be the ones napping and all refreshed in the evening while I'm knackered. :winky:

anyone else on here compete?

high paws and happy trails,
Jeri & the transplanted texas rat boys - Thor & Burns

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Do you need to use crates, how about a dog harness, are these suitable?

Link Removed

OP
OP
R

Ratmomma

Free Member
Jun 19, 2011
Aberdeen, Scotland
Funster No
MH
C class coachbuilt
Exp
I'm a newbie
Both have a harness as well as collars with their names and phone number on them. Thor's harness is attached to his basket. Burns is happier riding in his crate. I don't think I would drive well with him only in a harness. I have visions of him chewing threw the seatbelt and then trying to help me drive!:whatthe:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

con-tiki

Free Member
Oct 18, 2009
Leeds, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
since 2009
I tried seatbelts for my setters, but they managed to open the seatbelt clip (accidently I may add, they are not that clever) I dont have a space wide enough to have them in their crate...

Shirl

Oldroadies

Free Member
Jun 21, 2009
Channel Islands
Funster No
MH
Coach built Autocruise
Exp
6 + 20 caravaning
we started off with our two in a crate but it was awkward every time we stopped having to climb around it to get into the back, then fold it down and stow it until we moved on, so now they wear harness' which are attached to secure fixings, which allow them to get up and turn around or get a drink, but should we have to do an emergency stop they can't fly forward into the cab area which is the most important thing, as their beds are in the middle of the van they are probably in the safest place. I don't know the layout of your van (ours is two facing benches at the front), but if you have a side dinette which converts to a bed, could you not leave it up in the night layout and put the cage on top and secure it using the existing seatbelts through the cage to hold it? just a thought but I don't know if it would work or how secure it would be, maybe a strap around the whole crate and the rear of the seats too if that was possible?
So long as they are safe that is the important thing - you'll have to travel over to Jersey to the International Agility Festival next year!

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Small utility ratchet straps, about 1" wide, and have hooks on each end. These will easily slip under the seat and attach to the frame and through the cage.

Well done all you funsters on transporting your pets safely!:thumb:

You wouldn't believe the grief I was given a few weeks back, for asking a customer if he had, or would he like us to provide either cages or harnesses for his dogs! You would think I was the devil incarnate -- he was disgusted at the suggestion! He didn't come back.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back