Does this and other reports put you off Germany (1 Viewer)

Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I do like the buzz and excitement of cities, but .... (and in some peoples eyes I will be wrong) these things do put me off, I like to feel unstressed and safe, excitement yes but fear no, I can find plenty of enjoyable things to do without all that. Very lucky not to have to be in these places on a daily basis.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Off to Munich in spring for the weekend of a big local festival. Was there last year at the same time so it'll be very interesting to compare notes in the light of the migration crisis. Not at this stage put off the idea of going - big cities will always be big cities.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
I will never travel to Germany again, (well, not in this life anyway), but the two years I spent there as a young soldier I really enjoyed......Once I got into the mind set of the place.
Fantastic country, and just like everywhere else today, you make sensible decisions about just where your going, staying, and driving through. (y)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Could happen anywhere in Europe or any country for that matter, as Germany with the current migrant problems the press home in on it & blow it up out of proportion.

Germany is a great country and probably the second best place to tour in a Motorhome after France.

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
Things like this have been going on in this country for a while now, its just never reported by the likes of the BBC, all they seem to want to put across is how the poor immigrants are losing sleep as they have nowhere to go ! check out video footage on the net - its scary and makes you wonder how and why its carrying on and no one seems to be doing nothing to prevent it.. Bring in the Army and clear them out of our towns an cities - do the same all across europe and get rid of them before they spread their diseased minds on to others !

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
We were in Munich last June as Pats son lives and works there. We were on the metro several times and at least half of those times there were armed police and military on stations randomly stopping and checking passengers. Maybe the security were having a day off when this happened.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
There has been quite a few migrant related things over the weekend that havnt had a lot of coverage, Dover for a start, what gets me when the Germans were camped on the very same beachs that these migrants are we were shooting them and getting our own lads killed to stop them coming here, now we are welcome ing far worse people here, the old soldiers must be turning in their graves.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I must confess to knocking Sicily on the head this winter after the pictures on TV. I just could not be bothered to risk campsites/sostas being overrun by so called migrants many of whom are just heading for the EU for what they can get out of it.

Silly, probably.

Love Germany but the quieter countryside rather than big cities.

The only place we have suffered was the Rome underground, just young opportunistic pick pockets who got nothing, except one pretty young girl got very close to my willy in an empty pocket.

Deleted User
We'll be visiting Munich in September for the Oktoberfest (daughter and son are flying out to meet us) so in answer to the Op - no I never consult the Fail for travel advice.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Another disturbing report today, i wonder if people are put off going to Germany because of these instances.
It certainly makes me wonder whether staying away from cities and large town is a good idea.
You can lock yourself behind closed doors with your copy of the Daily Mail delivered by your rural paper boy, or you can carry on as normal. I think a glance at the statistics would help your decision. I walk about city streets most days yet very rarely come across anything like this. I wouldn't stroll through some areas of Chicago but that is just a tiny part of that city, the rest is great. (y)

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I wouldn't stroll through some areas of Chicago but that is just a tiny part of that city, the rest is great. (y)

We did one night, never forgotten. A nice young lad offered to fill the car saying "could you spare a few
cents so I can get in a hostel for the night or the gangs will get me".

Next day it felt like a different planet we were on. I think the area was called Manchester.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Wouldn't put me off travelling to any city, anywhere, even though I travel alone these days. I've reduced mouthy, sometimes violent, street wise 11 year olds to tears with my voice. Would happily do the same with these sh***.

?

Deleted User
Daily mail. If someone got mugged by 2 people that paper will tell you it was 10. As for the perv asylum seekers. Mark their cards and drop them back where they came from. If they put as much energy into fighting for there country they may not be in such as mess. Selfish Bas****s

OP
OP
iandsm
Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Thanks for the sensible replies, Perhaps I wasn't quite clear in my question, I said,

"It certainly makes me wonder whether staying away from cities and large town is a good idea."

I should have said, "It certainly makes me wonder whether staying away from cities and large towns in Germany is a good idea"
We don't have a paper boy or a physical paper so I scan the papers online, the Times, Telegraph, Mail, and Independent together other red tops and the local rag. In that manner I try to gain a balanced view, and I started this thread as I value the opinion of other motorhomers.

I have noticed particularly in the red tops that tales of migrant problems do tend to get sensationalised. However that doesn't mean the basis of stories is untrue, for example the problems around new year in Germany and other countries. The story I quoted in the Mirror is supported by video, no doubt there was an altercation but its difficult to see whether one of the aggressors was trying to get involved or trying to stop the behaviour.

Overall I have no doubt there are problems caused by migrants, particularly where they have been housed, large cities or small towns, Germany or elsewhere. There have been plenty of reports in both the quality and gutter press.

I did wonder about Germany, on reflection this will not put me off going, we spend an average of two months a year touring Germany but we do not tend to visit large cities. I think its a matter of proportion, we have seen migrants but only in small groups and I think taking the usual precautions onerous the on aires/stelplatz is all that is required at the moment.

We will be going to Germany for May and June so I will report back on my experiences.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
The question should be why was the guy recording on his phone rather than sticking up for the old men sadly it would be the same in the UK

May 24, 2014
North Devon
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
Since 2013
I was cut up at a junction one day in Birmingham by an asian in his car coming the other way. He not only had the cheek to say it was my fault but then spat direct into my eye before driving away as fast as he could.....vile vile vile!!
I feel far more intimidated in that city that I lived in for 60 years than I would in Germany for sure.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I was cut up at a junction one day in Birmingham by an asian in his car coming the other way. He not only had the cheek to say it was my fault but then spat direct into my eye before driving away as fast as he could.....vile vile vile!!
I feel far more intimidated in that city that I lived in for 60 years than I would in Germany for sure.
Used to drive a van in Birmingham can't count how many times I have had my doors tried and when locked spit on the Windows, nice lads:(

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back