Does size matter?

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by Zigisla, Nov 3, 2015.

1. Zigisla

Zigisla Funster

Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but I am newbie. :worried: I am looking into my first real project on my yet to be built, but arriving in 6 weeks unit.
    Gas and the conversion to refillable. I have noticed on a lot of the threads some picture of the set up. Now 3 questions spring to mind straight away.
    1: I don’t seen to have a bulkhead regulator / big thing at the back, why? Do have on folding Camper.
    2: Some seem to have a small square refill point in the locker, but those who have the external ones have a much larger round filler. Is the gas pump nozzle different for eternal or internal filling? - is this why some have snags with not being allowed to fill abroad?
    3: Some also seem to have the bigger fill point inside the locker.
    Very confusing if I wanted to do a DIY job and save money for more shiny things.
    :rolleyes:
    Your help, advice and guidance always welcome
    Yours Aye
    Michael

2. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

I have my filler mounted outside the locker ( just cut a hole in the side skirt.. It is small, black and square.. I think it just depends on who supplies the kit as to the size of the filler. Mine came is an Alugas system bought from Autogas 2000.. It has been in two motorhomes so far :)

If you do not have a bulkhead regulator you must have the type that screws straight in to the bottle
    It is no biggy to scrap that and fit a bulkhead one

I have a selection of adapters that screw in to the filler for use whilst abroad .. But even then I have been caught out.. I just asked in the kiosk and they brought out a large box of adapters to chose from and lend to me :)

3. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Forgot.. It is a pretty easy DIY job providing you are happy using spanners.. Though if you are not used to working with gas I would suggest you get it checked by someone who knows their way around ..
    Tips
    Do not use TPFE tape on joints
    When finished, make up a weak solution of washing up liquid and squirt it on all joints to check them

4. Peter A Forbes

Peter A Forbes Funster

I think Jaws meant to type PTFE.

Having the filler point external is far better and possibly safer than in the gas locker, and you may find that you are prevented from filling at some service stations if you are seen to be opening the gas locker to do it.

Having a filler each side is also very handy on a large motorhome, and doesn't cost a huge amount to install.

Peter

• Like Like x 1
  5. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

I also fitted the filler on the skirt.. requires a 70mm hole saw.. that's the nervous part of the job.. :eek:

once cut and the filler fitted, the rest is just hoses, a spanner job..

While at it, I also changed the Truma regulator for a Clesse

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  6. Zigisla

Zigisla Funster

Cutting holes in a brand new unit :eek: would probably look into the locker filler, but from the picture yours Jim is sooo much bigger :rolleyes:, than the small square "locker" fillers or indeed like Jaw's external one as described above.
    Do different manufacturers of the systems have different size nozzles then? Is that the Adaptors mentioned in Jaw’s post?
    Spanner work I will be fine with, I hope after 35 years as a Naval Air Engineer.:D

And can these set ups be used without a bulkhead regulator then?
    Yours Aye
    Michael

Last edited: Nov 3, 2015
  7. Zigisla

Zigisla Funster

And Round

8. scotjimland

The internals of the Gaslow filler are for the UK LPG gun.. it's only the plastic enclosure that makes it look bigger.. the filling part is the same as the surface mounted one.

yes, you need a bulkhead regulator ..

here you go.. took a picture

DSCF2363.JPG

9. Zigisla

Zigisla Funster

Got it. Every supplier has the same connection. Body mounted just looks better. Adaptors, cos the European "guns" screw on instead of bayonet fittings.
    Can I assume that these come in conversion kits or do you have to buy individually and of course the bulkhead connector would be separate as well?
    and finally cos Im lazy, :sleep: approx price for a 2 bottle version like Jim's. :giggle: I will read up though on Gaslow v's gaskit v's alugas and whoever makes any more.(y)

10. Badknee

Badknee Funster

In answer to your thread title I am reliably informed by SWMBO the correct answer is yes. :eek::cry::cry::cry:

11. scotjimland

12. Zigisla

Zigisla Funster

Am I reading this right. I cannot believe Gasit can be £300 odd cheaper. Why does anyone use anyone else??

Unless it is a different system or the products are seriously inferior?

13. Al-Di

Al-Di Funster

gaslow & gasit are the same products, bottles made in Portugal, gaslow have a massive mark up(y)

14. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

If you go for the Gasit kit you can get a 't' piece which you attach to the bulk head regulator so you don't then need to by a manual, or auto, changeover either - that's what I did when I added a second bottle to my set up - when the gas runs out on one bottle I just turn it off and turn on the other, that way I know when it's been changed over so can then look to fill the other bottle up again.

When we got our new Globecar it didn't come with a bulkhead regulator (for some reason they like the bottle top ones!) so I had to fit one, not difficult at all.

We have had our Gaslow system since 2009, before Gasit came into existence, so have the larger round filler which I mounted in the gas locker but if I had to buy the kit again I'd go for the much smaller square one and mount it outside just under the bumper (we have a panel van conversion).

15. scotjimland

Incorrect they are not the same bottle.. and how do you know Gaslow have a massive mark up.. can you buy the SAME R67 bottles cheaper elsewhere ?

not necessarily inferior.. but there are some differences between the two products

when comparing two systems you must compare like for like.. your £300 cheaper quote is for an in-locker fill point with no auto changeover valve.. plus
    1. Gaslow supply the R67 bottle.. a four hole bottle with an accurate level gauge which can also be used to transmit to a remote level gauge.
    2. The R67 has an inbuilt gas outlet filter
    3. Gasslow supply stainless steel braided hoses with a 15 year warranty
    4. The R67 has an excess flow shut-off valve.
    5. My price included all European adapters
    6. It included an auto changeover valve
    these points may or may not justify the extra cost.. but when I fit, I fit the best I can afford..

16. scotjimland

are you not worried about road dirt getting into the filler point ?

17. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

No, it has a plastic cover on it, this was a picture of it on a friends van:

Gas-it fill point.jpg

18. scotjimland

thanks.. didn't think you would fit it naked..

19. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Cheers Peter.. fingers too far from brain !!!

20. andrewjw

andrewjw Funster