Does my bum look big in this? Best folding chairs? (1 Viewer)

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
I'd like to get 2 new folding chairs, size is an issue, I'm wide, mr mousy is tall Van storage is limited.

So which make would you all recommend?

Would love a fiamma recliner but they won't fit in the van so think they have to be collapsable like the camping ones?

We've had steel ones before but they rusted would aluminium be better?

Hoping to spend all the summer in them with the obligatory Gin and tonic :thumb:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
its hard to beat a lafuma for comfort strength and build quality. have had a pair going on 10 years and theyre still solid with no rust. if youre broad in the beam, there are a couple of xxl chairs about. either dukdalf or westfield are good quality larger chairs.

in my experience anything that folds up very small or with an aluminium frame tend to be less sturdy and break too easily

when touring in our previous panel van conversions we travelled the chairs in the back and slid them under the van when not used on site. get a cable lock on them to a fixed point on the van or they will grow legs and disappear. oh and get storage bags too to extend their working life

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Mousy

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Thanks for that, that's what we would like but we don't have space, it's recommendations of umbrella foldy type ones I need. :thumb:

OP
OP
Mousy

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Thanks the big1, thankfully my bums not mahoosive enough to warrant xxl!
I meant la fuma, we saw those in a shop and liked the comfort and build.
Food for thought re bag under van:thumb:

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
We have two umbrella type folding chairs that we bought from Towsure a few years ago. They are a bit bigger and more substantial than the normal folding chairs and both have the original bags. We have had to change to a flat type of chair because of the storage situation in our van. I can't find them on the Towsure website, but will PM you with photos etc.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
If you can store them, the Lafuma chairs are very good indeed. Very light but strong. Expensive but worth it for us, certainly

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Folding chairs

Hi,

I have attached a photo of the chairs to this message. Not sure if I am allowed to do this on a thread, sorry if I have infringed the rules Jim, but I couldn't find any other way of getting the photo to Mousy! It was taken at a brilliant Britstop, in Bridport, in May this year - probably the last time we used them. Let me know if you're interested.

Broken Link Removed

Attachments

• Bottle Bridport 4 (2).jpg
    Bottle Bridport 4 (2).jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 118
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Hi,

I have attached a photo of the chairs to this message. Not sure if I am allowed to do this on a thread, sorry if I have infringed the rules Jim, but I couldn't find any other way of getting the photo to Mousy! It was taken at a brilliant Britstop, in Bridport, in May this year - probably the last time we used them. Let me know if you're interested.

Broken Link Removed

We use the same (or very similar chairs) easy to store and seem quite robust compared to other 'umbrella' types we have used.

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
I agree - they seem to be in a different league to other umbrella type chairs. They are a bit bigger when folded though, so may not be any good for Mousy. We stored them in our outside lockers, but they were the wrong shape for the low level locker so we bought the new Isabella chairs instead - easier to pack, but not so comfortable to sit in!

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I have an Autosleeper Excellsior and i just stand my pair of Duckdelf on their side on the floor in front of side sofa and restrain them with a bungee strap whilst travelling. Overnight they go in the cab. You need a comfy chair when you are away. BUSBY::bigsmile:

Uncle Bob

Free Member
Nov 12, 2013
North Yorks
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Big boy's

We bought a couple of umbrella, canvas over ally type chairs from asda a few years back and was impressed enough to go back and get three more for the boys. I'm a big boy myself and the chairs are roomy and are very comfy even after years of use & abuse going to a few seasons of the bike racing. They are branded 'The Big Boy' and I can highly recommend if they are still available :Smile:

OP
OP
Mousy

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Thanks for all your replies guys, think we will go for the lafuma recliners, hoping that comfort will overcome storage hassles. I've sussed out a way of securing them in the van, here's to some better weather to make the use of them and with my birthday later this month I can see Mr Mousy having a very easy present buying experience!

Sep 3, 2013
Crowthorne, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
1992 RMB Silver Star 670
Exp
One year. A whole one!
Just to add a counterpoint, I bought two Isabella folding reclining chairs after trying them out at the NEC show in November.

I tried a lot of chairs and it's surprising how some look great and simply aren't. But the Isabella ones were really comfortable with, crucially, excellent lower back support. Far, far better than anything else I sat on, although I don't know if I ever tried a Lafuma.

I know they're not cheap at around £60 each, but they're worth it in my view.

The 'umbrella' chairs we have used in the past, and still have, are Australian OzTent Kokoda ones. Immensely strong and wide and massively durable with hard arm rests. Ours still look like new after 4 years use. But I find these types of chairs lack decent back support and often head suppport for true lugubriousness. For short trips, they're fine. However, they're not cheap and very similar ones can be found in places such as Go Outdoors for a lot less these days. My children use them now.

Anyway, my point is to try before you buy. Make the effort, as the right purchase will last you a very long time.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Our van has very limited storage space compared to a tupperware box but we wanted chairs which had a headrest - essential after the second glass of wine in the sunshine we find.

We tried all the local camping places and garden centres but found everything was too big when folded. Eventually, we found some on sale at a motorhome exhibition, but they don't have any brand name written on them but at least two different suppliers were selling the same model so I don't think they were knocked up in someone's shed.

The advantage of these is they fold almost flat so will fit under the settee in the 'van. They also came with a detachable stool which clips on to provide additional snoozing comfort.

As I can't remember who we bought them off or have any idea what the model is called this may not sound like a lot of use - but get thee to a motorhome exhibition and I am sure you will find them on sale - plus of course lots of other types of chair and being an exhibition you will have the opportunity to er, try them for size so to speak and if you get one stuck on your bum when you stand up it will bring a smile to the hard-pressed sales folk on the stand - which must be a good thing.

Though I hope one without sides will not be necessary?

article-2070157-05EEF2B30000044D-23_468x363.jpg

OP
OP
Mousy

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Oh dear, oh dear, wrong in soooo many ways.

Just to set the record straight my bum is nothing like that!

It's like two soft peaches encased in delicate pink lace....

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
soft peaches go wrinkly far too quickly. one day their juicy and melt in the mouth the next theyre far beyond help.

i was thinking more a net of oranges or in extreme cases sprouts would be a description of many women of a certain age's derierre . sit in the wrong chair with arms and the "sprouts" at the side ooze outwards gripping the chair with something more akin to magnetism or suction. certainly good for a laugh at a motorhome show:ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
Mousy

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
I've just choked on my baileys! (Maybe a good thing).

"Women of a certain age" !! You cheeky bugger! I come on here to get good advice on a folding chair and end up with fattiest ageist insults...

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back