Does length really matter?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Simon, Feb 10, 2015.

1. Simon

Simon Read Only Funster

I haven't got a particularly big one and my wife and I are quite happy with it. On our travels we've seen a variety of sizes, from great ooj ones right down to little tiny ones that I'd think were barely of any use whatsoever, yet their owners seem very happy and wave as they hove into view, exactly the same as the proud owners of the monsters.

Stop sniggering at the back there.

I have been considering getting a bigger one but for some reason I have it in my head that 8 metres is about as big as I'd feel comfortable using on our roads. Is this the case? Is there an optimum size for UK roads? Our old bus is 6.4 metres and we've come close to getting stuck just in the country roads around Canterbury!

• Like Like x 1
  2. bernardfeay

bernardfeay Read Only Funster

I'm at 5.5 meters and we get forgiven if we go down country lanes that we ought to have ignored. It's the fixed bed brigade that like the 8 meters.

I suspect you'll find those with long ones like long ones, and those with short ones like short ones.

The real criteria should be how many cold beers you can fit in the fridge.

• Like Like x 2
  3. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

Ours is 7.4m and never had a problem on UK roads, even when I thought we might.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Jim

Jim Ringleader

In my experience If you are under 8m you really don't have to worry about anything you'll get anywhere, be able to turn around anywhere, park where you like. Over 8 but under 9 you can still do all the above but you'll need to think about it a bit more. Over 9 can be a real restriction and you will have to plan routes and sites carefully.

• Like Like x 2
  5. CWH

CWH Funster Life Member

We're 7.4 & though we haven't had any problems, there are roads we haven't travelled because of we wouldn't want to meet another similar coming in the other direction.
    Because of the places we like to be, we're thinking about down-sizing. (Might try mainland Europe first though...)

6. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

Ours is 8m and except in tight spots I don't have any problems with it. My problem is judging the back end swing but I am getting used to it now. Its just practice.

7. Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny Funster

Just over 6m with the bike rack, but I like it that we can get into just about any Aire and Campsite and drive though any village or town that displays that 3.5 tonne sign. Bigger pitch's in the UK though, depends where you travel I guess.

I have to add that even 6m feels big when I've got myself somewhere I shouldn't be...happens a lot :eek:

8. Granjan

Granjan Funster

image.jpg Hubby says it is width that matters, we can go anywhere a fire engine, bin wagon or brewery wagon goes, we are 9.2 metres but when we eventually change (which wont be any time soon because we love what we have got) we will go for 8 metres only because it will be easier to pitch it. Cost a bit less on ferries, we wanted more lounge room to take the Grandkids, we sometimes take two extra adults but we prefer all the space to be ours, just greedy I guess!
    When we are abroad we spend very little time inside and would manage with much less. We have a massive garage to fit all our gear in but don't move around too much and def plan ahead booking sites because of our size.

• Like Like x 5
  9. CWH

CWH Funster Life Member

Does the hedge lift out??? ::bigsmile:
    Seriously, a neat bit of parking! :notworthy2:

• Like Like x 9
  10. Cat53

Cat53 Funster

You beat
    me to it!

• Like Like x 2
  11. Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny Funster

• Like Like x 1
  12. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

Respect Granjan. :notworthy2: neat.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

Think the thing is what you are comfortable with ours is just 6 meters big enough to be comfortable small enough to get most places. Both have pluses and minuses make a list of both and see what has the most pluses. :Smile:

14. Granjan

Granjan Funster

15. Granjan

Granjan Funster

We like to take a hedge trimmer with us and a cherry picker! Thats why we need a big garage.

16. Geordies

Geordies Funster

Great idea GranJan, tie a bit of privet hedge to the front and rear of your MH and whenever you park up people will think your parking is ace !!!

• Like Like x 4
  17. Simon

Simon Read Only Funster

Well, everyone's beaten me to it, Granjan, but that is impressive parking. Either that or the van's been there a long time. That definitely looks bigger anything than I'd want to drive.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

My previous van was 6m, current one is 7.4m excuding the back box. Driving them doesn't feel any different. I think the overhang is less on the longer van.

19. Saint76

Saint76 Read Only Funster

Ours is 8.2metres long and have had no problems with the length on aires or campsites in europe or uk.
    What you have to watch is the rear wheels when turning to ensure that you dont clip kerbs but having driven smaller
    vans this is something you do without really knowing that your doing it or only forget to do once.
    We travel with our two labradors and find the length and internal space suits are needs to a Tee!!

20. WAG2CRU

WAG2CRU Read Only Funster

Happy with 7.4 and would probably go to 8, it seems width can be more of a problem, would not want to go above our current 2.35