Free Member
Aug 29, 2014
Ramsgate, Kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 600
Exp
First year under our belt!
I haven't got a particularly big one and my wife and I are quite happy with it. On our travels we've seen a variety of sizes, from great ooj ones right down to little tiny ones that I'd think were barely of any use whatsoever, yet their owners seem very happy and wave as they hove into view, exactly the same as the proud owners of the monsters.

Stop sniggering at the back there.

I have been considering getting a bigger one but for some reason I have it in my head that 8 metres is about as big as I'd feel comfortable using on our roads. Is this the case? Is there an optimum size for UK roads? Our old bus is 6.4 metres and we've come close to getting stuck just in the country roads around Canterbury!

bernardfeay

Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
I'm at 5.5 meters and we get forgiven if we go down country lanes that we ought to have ignored. It's the fixed bed brigade that like the 8 meters.

I suspect you'll find those with long ones like long ones, and those with short ones like short ones.

The real criteria should be how many cold beers you can fit in the fridge.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Ours is 7.4m and never had a problem on UK roads, even when I thought we might.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
In my experience If you are under 8m you really don't have to worry about anything you'll get anywhere, be able to turn around anywhere, park where you like. Over 8 but under 9 you can still do all the above but you'll need to think about it a bit more. Over 9 can be a real restriction and you will have to plan routes and sites carefully.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
We're 7.4 & though we haven't had any problems, there are roads we haven't travelled because of we wouldn't want to meet another similar coming in the other direction.
Because of the places we like to be, we're thinking about down-sizing. (Might try mainland Europe first though...)

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Ours is 8m and except in tight spots I don't have any problems with it. My problem is judging the back end swing but I am getting used to it now. Its just practice.

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
Just over 6m with the bike rack, but I like it that we can get into just about any Aire and Campsite and drive though any village or town that displays that 3.5 tonne sign. Bigger pitch's in the UK though, depends where you travel I guess.

I have to add that even 6m feels big when I've got myself somewhere I shouldn't be...happens a lot :eek:

Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
image.jpg
Hubby says it is width that matters, we can go anywhere a fire engine, bin wagon or brewery wagon goes, we are 9.2 metres but when we eventually change (which wont be any time soon because we love what we have got) we will go for 8 metres only because it will be easier to pitch it. Cost a bit less on ferries, we wanted more lounge room to take the Grandkids, we sometimes take two extra adults but we prefer all the space to be ours, just greedy I guess!
When we are abroad we spend very little time inside and would manage with much less. We have a massive garage to fit all our gear in but don't move around too much and def plan ahead booking sites because of our size.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Respect Granjan. :notworthy2: neat.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Think the thing is what you are comfortable with ours is just 6 meters big enough to be comfortable small enough to get most places. Both have pluses and minuses make a list of both and see what has the most pluses. :Smile:

Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
We like to take a hedge trimmer with us and a cherry picker! Thats why we need a big garage.

OP
OP
Simon

Simon

Free Member
Aug 29, 2014
Ramsgate, Kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 600
Exp
First year under our belt!
Well, everyone's beaten me to it, Granjan, but that is impressive parking. Either that or the van's been there a long time. That definitely looks bigger anything than I'd want to drive.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
My previous van was 6m, current one is 7.4m excuding the back box. Driving them doesn't feel any different. I think the overhang is less on the longer van.

Saint76

Free Member
Jan 10, 2014
Southampton
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
8years
Ours is 8.2metres long and have had no problems with the length on aires or campsites in europe or uk.
What you have to watch is the rear wheels when turning to ensure that you dont clip kerbs but having driven smaller
vans this is something you do without really knowing that your doing it or only forget to do once.
We travel with our two labradors and find the length and internal space suits are needs to a Tee!!

WAG2CRU

Free Member
May 31, 2012
Argyll
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654SL Star Edition
Exp
since2012
Happy with 7.4 and would probably go to 8, it seems width can be more of a problem, would not want to go above our current 2.35

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp
I haven't got a particularly big one and my wife and I are quite happy with it. On our travels we've seen a variety of sizes, from great ooj ones right down to little tiny ones that I'd think were barely of any use whatsoever, yet their owners seem very happy and wave as they hove into view, exactly the same as the proud owners of the monsters.

Stop sniggering at the back there.

I have been considering getting a bigger one but for some reason I have it in my head that 8 metres is about as big as I'd feel comfortable using on our roads. Is this the case? Is there an optimum size for UK roads? Our old bus is 6.4 metres and we've come close to getting stuck just in the country roads around Canterbury!

Use a bigger one:rolleyes: on the road and you'll probably get arrested:) quite right too

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp
View attachment 54125 Hubby says it is width that matters, we can go anywhere a fire engine, bin wagon or brewery wagon goes, we are 9.2 metres but when we eventually change (which wont be any time soon because we love what we have got) we will go for 8 metres only because it will be easier to pitch it. Cost a bit less on ferries, we wanted more lounge room to take the Grandkids, we sometimes take two extra adults but we prefer all the space to be ours, just greedy I guess!
When we are abroad we spend very little time inside and would manage with much less. We have a massive garage to fit all our gear in but don't move around too much and def plan ahead booking sites because of our size.

How long has it been parked there cos that hedge has grown :eek:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back