does it ? ? ?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by jenny and mitch, Jul 14, 2011.

1. jenny and mitch

jenny and mitch Funster

Sorry to ask such a mundane question but when I am driving our Compass avant-garde 120 low profile, does the engine charge the leisure battery as well as the vehicle battery ? and what position should the 3 way switch be in (aux..off..veh) I know I could connect a meter to the leisure batt to find out but its raining here in suffolk and I thought you folks would know. Thanks in anticipation. Mitch and Jenny.

2. CHRI$

CHRI$ Funster

yes it does:thumb:
    dont matter where the threeway switch is it will charge.:thumb:

3. Mikemoss

Mikemoss Read Only Funster

If it's like our Bessie, the three-way switch will enable you to choose whether to charge the vehicle battery or caravan battery when hooked up to the mains.

4. jenny and mitch

jenny and mitch Funster

re batt charging

Many thanks Chrisgreen, cheered me right up, off to Holkham country fair this weekend up on the north Norfolk coast and staying in a CL nearby. Happy" vanning" never mind the weather. All the best mate. Mitch and Jenny.

5. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

We can't meter it for you. That is the only way to be sure. It may in theory be charged from the engine but the reality ???

6. CHRI$

CHRI$ Funster

Have a good weekend:thumb:

7. jenny and mitch

jenny and mitch Funster

re charging

You are right of course Brian( as you normally appear to be) I will check it during the weekend away, I should really be able to decipher the wiring diagram that came with the van, being ex veh tech, but its drawn in lilliput and the magnifying glass sucks my eyeball out.( not literally you understand) Thanks for your input anyway. We are still in a state of euphoria at the moment because Jenny took early retirement 2 weeks ago and got the all clear from her cancer 1 week ago and I proposed to her last week, so as you can imagine,,
    Happy daze.... All the best Mitch and Jenny.

8. dylan

dylan Read Only Funster

Congratulations on all counts :coolthumb:

9. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

put the meter onto DC Volts and hold one lead on each battery terminal. (if you have it the wrong way round it will read a nevative figure but not hurt anything)take a reading, then start the engine and see if the voltage goes up, (Making sure the meter leads are the same way around as for the first reading) if it does you have lift off, if not then you have a problem A charging voltage of around 14V is normal