Does high wind damage a satellite dish? (1 Viewer)

Sep 7, 2010
cardiff
Funster No
MH
Frankia 7900 Platin plus
Exp
since 2010
As title says, has anyone ever known a satellite dish be damaged by a high wind?
I've seen my 85cm wobble and occasionally lose signal, and I have lowered the dish when very windy, but you also sometimes see people who have a dish still up when they are driving.

So does anyone have direct experience f significant damage due to a high wind? Be interested to hear.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Mate of mine is an independent satellite dish and TV aerial installer, makes a lot in the winter. He can tell some tales.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
It's not so much the wind that's the problem, it's the damage caused when they crash to the ground that does it. ;):LOL:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
Mine just falls over if the tripod is not pegged down......Another advantage of having a £49.99 Lidl portable system!! :giggler:

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Never seen one up when driving !
Mine retracts automatically as soon as ignition turned on
Had to lower mine in Scotland a few weeks ago and the wind still had it banging all night even though it was down :eek:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Wait until Scotjimland comes along.

A long story.
yes.. long story John ..

It was a Maxview crank-up , fitted on the RV in 2007 when we were full-time .. was useless when the wind was more than a moderate breeze.. a strong breeze blew it off track.. .. but the depended on direction.. edge on to the dish has less effect than face on .. and whether it was gusty or not ..

I even had a Maxview director visit me on-site in Chelmsford to see why it kept being blown off signal.. he had no solution.. other than to say it wasn't meant for full time use.. they may have improved them.

Now have an Broken Link Removed supplied by @eddievanbitz , but as soon as the wind speed 12mph or more, I have it down.. time to read a book , no point in risking damage..

The flat Katherine antenna are probably a lot better in the wind.. and a dome won't be affected..

beaufort-wind-scale.gif

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back