Does extra length cause problems? (1 Viewer)

Voyger1010

Free Member
Oct 25, 2013
UK
Funster No
length

Well we have the Bailey Autograph 750 ( I believe the same base as the 745) and absolutely love it, both for quality and value for money. Like you we have some mobility issues and that was the reason we changed from our 6 berth Chausson Flash 09, with the over-cab bed reached by a ladder, which we had from new, but as we soon found out, at 3 in the morning getting down the ladder to the loo, was just plain dangerous for the other half and me, if I'd had a drink, as you do, so the rear bottom bunk bed was utilised by my better half, but then was tight to get into, I continued to fall down the dam ladder. Also there was no lounging space as it was a double dinette. So we looked and the Bailey 750 was our choice, didn't break the bank and suits us very well. The length is not any problem, as you soon get to know it, just take your time. I would always have a good rear view camera and on this we have the twin waeco set up, which all Baileys are already wired for. It drives very well and with really good MPG. It has everything already in it including microwave, full oven, 4 burners and grill etc. The lounging space is good enough to sit 7 people very comfortably. Our dealer Moran's Motorhomes suggested a little mod done to the sofas, as a result there is now a L shaped, long sofa. The rear garage is spacious and has our 2 mountain bikes in along with all the usual bits and pieces, 4 chairs sunbed and tables, fishing gear etc. Weight all up, including everything was taken at 3610kg last time out, it's plated at 3850kg so we have some leeway. We also trail a scooter on a transverse trailer, with no problems.
I don't think that the ferry fares will seriously upset your pocket, re the difference in the length , but it's easy enough to find out on the web by getting the quotes from the ferry companies.
The reason we didn't go for the 745, was that with the corner bed, one has to disturb the other, to get out of bed, if your on the inside., but it's everyone to their own and I hope the above info has helped, :Smile:

Eyeinthesky

Free Member
Sep 9, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2000
We too have a Bailey 750...as said before, great value, British made and a brilliant bit of kit.

We had a Bailey 740 before which was also a great van but we needed external storage for bulky items and got fed up making up the lounge bed every night...(we sleep separately)

Driving either is not an issue...in fact very enjoyable. Good luck with choosing and we hope you don't get hammered too hard doing the px. Don't give yours away...they are great stock for a dealer as people are buying Compacts all the time.

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
Our Sundance is almost identical length as your MH, we use the U shaped lounge as fixed singles at night.
Some solutions have been given here using that configuration plus the use of a Back box.
We use the Fiamma 500 having taken note of the maximum loading on the rear panel and the effect on axle weight it's amazing how much lightweight gear you can store in there.
The fact that you have a bike rack already makes that easier.

The only thing I would say is that having looked at a 360 tour of your model MH I notice that you've no overcab storage for bedding like the Duvalays we use.
Making up the 2 singles at night with the Duvalays takes a couple of minutes with no stress.
The other bonus for me is that my wife gets the dog sleeping on her head and not mine!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Movinon

Free Member
Feb 1, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Lots
It can be a real problem, getting enough storage space. Traditionally a garage came with a transverse bed. A good arrangement giving a compact length and good storage. I had one that was only 6 metres long - reasonable shower, small kitchen, sod-all seating up front. But based on a Tranny with 4 wheels across the back (4-wheel drive, ho ho) it would go almost anywhere. However, the climbover in the middle of the night to reach the toilet meant we both got disturbed. This became really irritating and awkward as the years advanced. After 40,000 miles we eventually replaced it with a van with twin single beds and a garage. A layout not available when we bought our Tranny. Ah, bliss. 6.86 metres long. But....small kitchen (but we don't cook much), small bathroom (but adequate even for a hefty bear like me) and seating for 4 up front. Well there are only two of us. We added some big cushions and regard the beds as permanent lounging space as well, a factor often overlooked. No van is perfect, you have to decide what the most important factor is for you and settle for the necessary compromises. My perfect van, allowing for all the accommodation dreams, would probably be 30ft long. Not so perfect then, given the length.

OP
OP
BobtheBass
Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
Really helpful replies thanks everyone. I was beginning to think that I had an almost unique conundrum, but that's obviously not the case! Have any of the motorhome manufacturers ever run a competition to design an interior covering all the features that are really important to the man in the street, even though the end result may need professional tweaking to be feasible? I'm sure it would produce some interesting results!

Sep 5, 2008
York
Funster No
MH
C Class Bessacarr 769
Exp
Since July 2010
I had the same experience to find good living space and a fixed bed you have to look at over 8m. Look at a tag axle model the rear overhang is shorter but you will have need a bit more turning circle. My Kontiki669 has the fixed island bed and plenty of lounge area. You may need to check you Licence as these are 5000kgs gross 6000ks train weight. Length overall with cycle racks 8.8m

Good Hunting:thumb:

We have the Bessacarr equivalent 769. Had it 4 years now and not seen anything we would like better. Plenty of lounge space.

Lin

bernardfeay

Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
We tend to go almost everywhere in our camper as if it were a car. We have gone down roads that we should have avoided. Being only 5.5 metres long we tend to be forgiven for our mistakes.

The idea of a fixed bed is not attractive to us but clearly, it is essential to some. We all see it our own way.

All I want to do in my bed is sleep, The idea of using up all that length just to be able to get straight into my bed is not appealing.

Plus, we can park in town in spaces reserved for cars. We don't have to plan careful strategy. We just stop on a meter and away we go. But if you love saving almost a minute in bed making time then go for those 8 meter babies.

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
We went for a 6 m, no fixed bed but does drop down. We wanted to have a van a small as possible. After towing for 4 years our outfit including car was 37 ft. It restricted us totally. With ours we have a large lounge, great bathroom and ready made bed ::bigsmile: it has a small kitchen, but we like to cook out side most of the time anyway. We have yet to use it in anger, but off for a week touring the Peak district next week ::bigsmile:

OP
OP
BobtheBass
Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
To update this post, after an enormous amount of thought, looking at as many different motorhomes as possible, considering all of these responses and realising what we wanted most was a permanent double bed and some outside storage, we have bought a new Bailey 745! We love Baileys, they are great value and the service we get from our local dealer (Cotswold Edge) is superb, so we have bitten the bullet and taken the money hit on the chin.

Now we have to get used to the extra length, but most of the posts seem to confirm that it's not going to be a problem. One extra we have gone for though is a ridiculously expensive Waeco twin lens reversing camera to be on the safe side!

Aug 7, 2007
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 195
Exp
since 1975
bigger van

We have bought a Bailey 740 with the fixed bed, collected it last month. Brilliant van ! lots of storage, space under the bed is huge,will take all yours rods ect,wife and I are a bit short lol !! so we need a step to get into bed but once in it is very comfy.
As we go to a lot of rallies we have had solar panels. another second battery, a reversing camera and a tow bar to tow our Mx5 on a trailer behind us.
Re the ferries, most companies ask for the length and Height and you pay accordingly but, Eurotunnel do not, with them all you book is for a camper ! they do not ask anything else, it is however more expensive than the ferry.
You can use your Tesco club card points to offset the cost, as we purchase food, fuel, ect there using the Tesco visa we gain our points and manage 2 crossing per year for free !! yahoo !! like free being scots !!
Other big bonus re the 740 is now fighting putting the bed together with those bloody annoying bits of cushions that don't fit properly lol !!!:Smile::Smile:

etatcir

Free Member
Aug 11, 2013
uk
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
We have had a Bailey 740 since November 2013 and like you were concerned about the rear overhang and ground clearance. So far neither has been an issue we just take care. Yesterday we travelled by ferry from Calais and boarded / disembarked from the upper deck with no problem. In fact I am surprised at how easy to manouver this is.

The layout etc is great for us with no compromise. After 6 months there are a few bits to sort out which I trust the dealer will do.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
bout the only difference I have noticed is a BIG increase in ferry fees !! ( but they are still only 2/3rds the price of the chunnel ! )
I would use the chunnel every time if they were not so massively expensive

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi , Try a bessacar / Swift 484 6.6 mtr with garage only small problem limited inside storage otherwise ideal !!
:sin: Terry:sin:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back