does anyone out there.....

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by pappajohn, Jan 21, 2011.

  1. pappajohn

    pappajohn Funster Life Member

    Joined:
    Aug 26, 2007
    Messages:
    29,461
    Likes Received:
    16,890
    Location:
    YO11 2BD
    ....fully understand, and can test & repair, electronics ?

    i have a 20amp statpower (Xantrex) american charger which appears to have stopped working.
    its not a current model so nowt on the web.

    its been in the garage since removing it from the RV last november.
    plugged it in to charge a car battery today and, without load, it light up showing it detected 'no battery'.

    connected the battery, switched back on and NOWT ! no lights, no output.

    checked the battery and it is very dead....Zero volts.
    should have checked that first :Doh:
    3 internal fuses..rev polarity, overload, short circuit....checked with multimeter and all ok.
    230v getting to input .
    may have been damp inside.

    what i need is a techy to have a look at it and see if its repairable.

    worth around £230 so dont want to scrap it.

    anyone going to newark who could take it home and have a look please?
     
  2. jhorsf

    jhorsf Read Only Funster

    Joined:
    May 15, 2009
    Messages:
    9,157
    Likes Received:
    8,067
    Location:
    DERBYSHIRE
    Before saying it is the charger try it on a battery that has some charge in it as it may not operate on a totally flat battery just a thought
     
  3. pappajohn

    pappajohn Funster Life Member

    Joined:
    Aug 26, 2007
    Messages:
    29,461
    Likes Received:
    16,890
    Location:
    YO11 2BD
    worth a try i suppose but it did light up with no battery...sequence of leds indicate various problems...over/under voltage, no battery etc...but now it does nothing. :Sad:
     
  4. dealgan

    dealgan Read Only Funster

    Joined:
    Oct 23, 2007
    Messages:
    137
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Donegal, Ireland
    That may be the key. Is it an SMPS (switch mode power supply) or an old fashioned (but arguably better) linear power supply with a transformer, etc ?

    Judging by it having indicators of fault conditions, I'd guess its a switch-mode, in which case I am of no further use !

    Good luck.
     
  5. pappajohn

    pappajohn Funster Life Member

    Joined:
    Aug 26, 2007
    Messages:
    29,461
    Likes Received:
    16,890
    Location:
    YO11 2BD
    yep...just electronics and two very small (20/25mm sq) transformers towards the back end of the board.
     
  6. hilldweller

    hilldweller Funster Life Member

    Joined:
    Dec 5, 2008
    Messages:
    26,426
    Likes Received:
    25,080
    Location:
    Macclesfield
    That's a switcher. Good when they work, only the maker stands much of a chance of repairing one. They are absolutely lethal things, rectified mains putting 340V DC on the pcb so a real specialists repair.
     
  7. Chani

    Chani Read Only Funster

    Joined:
    Mar 26, 2009
    Messages:
    125
    Likes Received:
    7
    Location:
    Somerset
    Switched-mode power supply repair? :imoutahere:
     
  8. rainbow chasers

    rainbow chasers Read Only Funster

    Joined:
    Oct 30, 2009
    Messages:
    3,747
    Likes Received:
    1,720
    Location:
    Mid Cornwall
    I cannot advise on that charger, as I have never met one in person - however, I did have a charger once that had a very similar quirk.

    If cold or damp - it never wanted to play. Leave inside by a rad for an hour to warm and dry out and it would work perfectly. I did replace it in the end! lol!

    Might be worth trying that.
     
  9. pappajohn

    pappajohn Funster Life Member

    Joined:
    Aug 26, 2007
    Messages:
    29,461
    Likes Received:
    16,890
    Location:
    YO11 2BD
    its been in the house all last night and today and as a belt & braces exersize i got the cover off and got hair drier on it as well.

    on the input side is a small glass 230v fuse in very close proximity to a heavy copper wire coil.....bit like a ferite ring.

    so close in fact, it was arcing across from the 230v fuse end to this coil when i plugged in the power plug.

    reckon its dead....what a waste. :Sad:
     
Loading...

Share This Page